Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 04-03-2007, 10:38 AM   #31
r32soul
Decent playground baller

r32soul has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Bill Simmons doesn't buy the Greg Oden hype....

i think offensively, he is already as polish of a post player you will find for a 19 year old. His jump hooks is already NBA ready, gets in good post position, a very good rebounder, and he is a very good FT shooter for a big man.

As for defense, I think his post defense still needs some work, I saw couple of times where Horford or Richards, and even the G-town game, Hibbert challenged Oden and was easily able to move Oden down in the block for a easy layup...

and probably the one area he really needs to work on is getting in shape.. i don't know how many times I heard Billy Packer said "Jim, I think Oden is tired".. and what's really strange is that it's only like 4 minute into the 2nd half, and Oden seemed slow getting back on defense... fatigue also will force Oden to not be aggressive, and that's when he picks up cheap fouls...

but overall, you be hard press to find a big man like Oden, and he will be a star in the NBA...
r32soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:49 AM   #32
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

wang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation herewang4three has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta
All I know is he's no Shaq and it's not even close.

While I don't refute this, understand that Shaq averaged 14/12/1/4 as a freshman in college. Oden is averaged 16/10/1/3 this year so they're not that far apart statistically. Shaq is a once in a lifetime type of player, but there is no reason to not believe Oden could not get damn close.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:59 AM   #33
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta
Because people make him out to be the next big thing and he's not. Hell, he might not even end up as good as Duncan. Probably won't.

We're all still waiting on the next great big and Yao is about as close as it gets. Still waiting...

The fact that you said he MIGHT not end up as good as Duncan, who is widley regarded as the 2nd best player of this era and IMO the top-10 all time means that the hype is ridiculously high.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #34
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by r32soul
i think offensively, he is already as polish of a post player you will find for a 19 year old. His jump hooks is already NBA ready, gets in good post position, a very good rebounder, and he is a very good FT shooter for a big man.

As for defense, I think his post defense still needs some work, I saw couple of times where Horford or Richards, and even the G-town game, Hibbert challenged Oden and was easily able to move Oden down in the block for a easy layup...

and probably the one area he really needs to work on is getting in shape.. i don't know how many times I heard Billy Packer said "Jim, I think Oden is tired".. and what's really strange is that it's only like 4 minute into the 2nd half, and Oden seemed slow getting back on defense... fatigue also will force Oden to not be aggressive, and that's when he picks up cheap fouls...

but overall, you be hard press to find a big man like Oden, and he will be a star in the NBA...

Uhhhhhhh.... I think that's backwards. I agree he picks up bad fouls, but his defence is fine but his offense needs a little work. Now I agree when he's on his post moves are great, last night I saw him fake a fade away and went under the guy's arm. I also agree that his stamina is in question, but in the Georgetown game he wasn't being as aggressive because he was in foul trouble. His rebounding is good and he can finish well. But the biggest impact he has in my opinion is his shot blocking/altering ability.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:13 AM   #35
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by r32soul

Excellent assessment. I feel that once Oden gets into the league and really gets himself in league shape, he'll be an even better player, but as of now, he's right on schedule for a 19 year old looking to be a star in the NBA.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #36
JtotheIzzo
The Future is Now

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
The fact that you said he MIGHT not end up as good as Duncan, who is widley regarded as the 2nd best player of this era and IMO the top-10 all time means that the hype is ridiculously high.

totally agree

'might not end up as good as Duncan' sounds like a pretty falkin sweet career
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:40 PM   #37
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Im gonna go out on a limb and say he wont end up as good as Duncan. He will be very good, a superstar but Duncan is top 10-15 All time. In order ti even mention Duncans name he is going to have show me something that sets in the league.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #38
chopchop20
National High School Star

chopchop20 has decent reputation

Last night was the only game where I thought Oden looked special.

Even though the refs kinda ruined the game by calling touch fouls. I wouldn't call it a dominant performance like others have. Basically Florida started playing soft defense because of the way the refs kept calling ticky-tac fouls. Seemed like the philosophy was to let Oden get his points early and contain every one else til Oden got tired -- worked beautifully.

Anyways, I still need to see more from Oden to put him up there with Patrick Ewing.
chopchop20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 04:44 PM   #39
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop20
Last night was the only game where I thought Oden looked special.

Even though the refs kinda ruined the game by calling touch fouls. I wouldn't call it a dominant performance like others have. Basically Florida started playing soft defense because of the way the refs kept calling ticky-tac fouls. Seemed like the philosophy was to let Oden get his points early and contain every one else til Oden got tired -- worked beautifully.

Anyways, I still need to see more from Oden to put him up there with Patrick Ewing.

You never saw Ewing so why do you need to see more from Oden?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:03 PM   #40
TheBigAristotle1
Serious playground baller

TheBigAristotle1 has an OK reputation so far

I hate to say it but Durant is a bit overrated. He's a good player but to consider him head and shoulders above Oden you have to ignore the fact that Oden went to the championship game while Durant never made it to the sweet sixteen. Durants impact on a game is overrated. He is a great scorer, but not particularly effecient, not terrible, but he doesn't have those twice as many points as FGA games (where it isn't just missed jumpers and made free-throws). Durant can't carry a team that is missing it's shots to a win.

Oden's impact on the game is just greater, just his presence in the middle shuts down the lane. Nobody had heard of Ron Lewis or Michael Conley Jr. until they arrived at OSU.
TheBigAristotle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:41 PM   #41
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

People are gonna be really dissappointed during Oden's rookie year. He's gonna be a double double player; but the defensive dominance people are expecting ain't happening.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:50 PM   #42
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
People are gonna be really dissappointed during Oden's rookie year. He's gonna be a double double player; but the defensive dominance people are expecting ain't happening.

Perhaps, I can see players attacking him, looking to get him in foul trouble... and then we have the great bigs in the league... Garnett, Duncan, Dirk, Yao, Amare, Shaq, Brand, Bosh, Howard, J. O'neal, Boozer, Randolph, Gasol, Camby, Okur, Curry... He'll have his hands full.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:29 PM   #43
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
Perhaps, I can see players attacking him, looking to get him in foul trouble... and then we have the great bigs in the league... Garnett, Duncan, Dirk, Yao, Amare, Shaq, Brand, Bosh, Howard, J. O'neal, Boozer, Randolph, Gasol, Camby, Okur, Curry... He'll have his hands full.

I think he is going to have highlight blocks and be a really good help defender from day 1. The question to me is man to man defense. HE doest seem very good at it. I could see lots of bigs dropping huge numbers on him.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:43 PM   #44
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
I think he is going to have highlight blocks and be a really good help defender from day 1. The question to me is man to man defense. HE doest seem very good at it. I could see lots of bigs dropping huge numbers on him.
Thank you for pointing out what few are admitting. Plus he looks lost on screen actions.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:04 PM   #45
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

TheGame414 has decent reputationTheGame414 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Yes, it is.

Oden is every bit as good as he was "supposed" to be. Possibly better. Will be in the NBA, too.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: