Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2007, 03:36 AM   #1
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,282
Default NJ still clinging to the big 3.

Nets fans, what do you all think of this?
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...ince_back.html

GM wants Vince back

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Monday, April 2nd 2007, 4:00 AM


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Print Email Suggest a Story
Quote:
Nets owner Bruce Ratner and president Rod Thorn have both publicly stated their desire to sign Vince Carter should the star guard do as expected and opt out of the final year of his contract once the season ends.

Now the Nets' general manager has said the same.

Speaking to a group of season ticket- holders before the Nets beat the 76ers at the Meadowlands on Saturday night, Ed Stefanski made it clear that the three key men in the organization are all on the same page.

"Personally, I would like to sign Vince Carter," Stefanski said. "He is one of the best players in the NBA."

Stefanski told the fans that the Nets will have a better chance of signing Carter than any other team, especially since Ratner has told him and Thorn that he'd be willing to go over the luxury tax if that's what it takes. Ratner said the same to reporters several weeks ago.

While there is speculation that the Nets could sign Carter and then trade him, or trade one of the team's other big stars, such as Richard Jefferson and possibly even Jason Kidd, Stefanski hinted that the Nets would like to keep that group together.

"I'd like to see us with the Big Three healthy," Stefanski said.

Among other topics, the GM also said that one of the Nets' offseason priorities will be to add an athletic big man to the roster.

I mean no offense, but we've seen the big 3 healthy.. They tried their best and still couldn't get past the Heat. IMO, at least one of them has to go. Even with a full team and Krstic, I don't see this team as being elite.. They need a good big, plain and simple...
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:53 AM   #2
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,369
Default Re: NJ still clinging to the big 3.

it's not like Kidd will deteriorate instantly next season. if he is playing at the high level he is at now, I'm sure he will put up similar (if not slightly lower) numbers next year.


Carter, though 30, is still a 25PPG scorer on 45% shooting, and those things do not exactly grow on trees.


RJ is entering his prime and barring another ankle injury (it's not like he tweaked them by himself, he's always fallen on someone's foot. can't exactly call that "injury-prone")


Krstic is still young and developing. get him healthy.


Nets bench has also outscored opponents by a margin of 30-28 this year, as opposed to BEING outscored 28-20 last year.

the defense is what needs the most work. with no cap space at all, I do not see the MLE bringing in a good big man for the 4 position, but another athletic banger is what is needed, especiall since Josh Boone has shown tremendous offensive upside lately.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:57 PM   #3
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,282
Default Re: NJ still clinging to the big 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
it's not like Kidd will deteriorate instantly next season. if he is playing at the high level he is at now, I'm sure he will put up similar (if not slightly lower) numbers next year.


Carter, though 30, is still a 25PPG scorer on 45% shooting, and those things do not exactly grow on trees.


RJ is entering his prime and barring another ankle injury (it's not like he tweaked them by himself, he's always fallen on someone's foot. can't exactly call that "injury-prone")


Krstic is still young and developing. get him healthy.


Nets bench has also outscored opponents by a margin of 30-28 this year, as opposed to BEING outscored 28-20 last year.

the defense is what needs the most work. with no cap space at all, I do not see the MLE bringing in a good big man for the 4 position, but another athletic banger is what is needed, especiall since Josh Boone has shown tremendous offensive upside lately.
You've given some interesting stats, but haven't really addressed my question head on. With the big 3, three there is no maneuvering room at all to add any more talent to this team. And this team at full strength, has shown for 2 years straight that they don't have what it takes to be a top contender in the east. Yes, they won a round against Indy but they were supposed to take that round. But I guess indirectly, you're saying that you also want to give the big 3/4(kristic) another shot.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:09 PM   #4
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,369
Default Re: NJ still clinging to the big 3.

these words were Thorn's words.


with no high draft pick and no shot at even Horford... and teh fact that even value will NOT be given for Carter... I see that what Thorn has in mind is the only course of action that is not rebuilding.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,282
Default Re: NJ still clinging to the big 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
these words were Thorn's words.


with no high draft pick and no shot at even Horford... and teh fact that even value will NOT be given for Carter... I see that what Thorn has in mind is the only course of action that is not rebuilding.
I don't understand why you would not want to rebuild. No, Kidd is not gonna suddenly magically turn into a Smush Parker over the summer, but he and Carter most definetly aren't getting any younger.. But, hey, if you're content with another year of a possible top 4 but 1st or second round elimination, that's fine.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,369
Default Re: NJ still clinging to the big 3.

well there are several ways to look at it:


if the Nets choose the rebuild:


they want packages with young players, 1 picks, cash considerations and expirers.

the closest thing they got by other GMs was that horrible trade with the Lakers in which a first round pick and garbage was exchanged for Kidd. not exactly the route to rebuilding.

next, the Nets do not want to tank and get #1 picks because

1) tanking is just wrong, and after Oden and Durant, there may be no immediate impact players
2) wasting RJ and Krstic's prime years
3) Nets are moving to Brooklyn soon and need to at least have some fanfare going in. can't have a bottom feeder moving into the same yard as the beloved New York Knicks
4) Nets franchise is bleeding money. This season (as a result of last season's good results) they finally made a small profit in terms of tickets and merchandise sales. From a business standpoint, standing pat and getting a few more high 40s- 50 win seasons will be worth it. Last year after making the playoffs many advertisers got the Nets into Manhattan. in fact there was a big Nets billboard.... right next to Madison Square Garden! no doubt a lot of money was made from that.



in the long run, rebuilding is the best option. but given the circumstances and how ignominous it is to quit, Thorn wants to continue down this path.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:55 PM   #7
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?
 
MTing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 5,466
Default Re: NJ still clinging to the big 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15


I mean no offense, but we've seen the big 3 healthy.. They tried their best and still couldn't get past the Heat. IMO, at least one of them has to go. Even with a full team and Krstic, I don't see this team as being elite.. They need a good big, plain and simple...
You mean last post-season?
Big 3 wasnt healthy. RJ tweeked his ankle in game 3(?). We were never 100% healthy.
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:22 PM   #8
Drazen_Petrovic
Decent playground baller
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: NJ
Posts: 293
Default Re: NJ still clinging to the big 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
You've given some interesting stats, but haven't really addressed my question head on. With the big 3, three there is no maneuvering room at all to add any more talent to this team. And this team at full strength, has shown for 2 years straight that they don't have what it takes to be a top contender in the east. Yes, they won a round against Indy but they were supposed to take that round. But I guess indirectly, you're saying that you also want to give the big 3/4(kristic) another shot.

I would like to see the Big 4. Last year, kristic did not have as big of an impact as kristic was during this season. I would like to see kidd, carter, rj, and kristic really play all out and see what happens. Plus, now that we have a solid bench, I would really like to see what happens with the team next year. I say after that one year, if nothing happens, then we need a serious change.
Drazen_Petrovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:05 PM   #9
TheOakman
I hit open layups
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 160
Default Re: NJ still clinging to the big 3.

I think the Nets have a very big decision ahead of them. Luckily you have one of the best GM's in the business running your team.

1. Even with the big "four" including Kristic healthy I am not sure that this is a Finals caliber team. Definitely a playoff threat, but they had the whole team at the beginning of the season and they were not playing that well.

2. The bigger question is what happens when they move to Brooklyn. I think you would have to decide between making one more shot at it next year or starting the rebuilding process. Starting the rebuilding porcess this year, by trading either Kidd or VC or Jefferson would mean by the time they get to Brooklyn they would be already somewhat along on their rebuilding plan and will be fielding a pretty good team. I think the last thing Ratner wants to do is have this brand new facility with all this money spent and a mediocre team with a broken down Jason Kidd. Its definitely a perdicament. Is it worth keeping the team together for one last chance, even if the chance is very remote, or do you start over.

At Least Isiah Thomas is not involved!!!
TheOakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:50 PM   #10
MTing
Where Brooklyn at?
 
MTing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 5,466
Default Re: NJ still clinging to the big 3.

I say one more year. If next season we have a sub season then blow up
MTing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 11:06 PM   #11
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,282
Default Re: NJ still clinging to the big 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTing
I say one more year. If next season we have a sub season then blow up
Like i've said, I think the Nets with the big 4 can be (and have proven) that they can be a top 3 or 4 team in the East when healthy. However, I don't think that even at full strength they would be elite. I see them getting stopped in the second round, but maybe they'll prove me wrong, who knows? And like I said, Kidd and Carter aren't getting any younger..
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:41 AM   #12
DowJones
I brick open layups
 
DowJones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 141
Default Re: NJ still clinging to the big 3.

If this tumultuous season ends with the Nets losing in the 2nd round i'll have to say it was a successful season. I personally do not see them advancing past the 1st round. Way too inconsistent.
DowJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 01:27 AM   #13
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,282
Default Re: NJ still clinging to the big 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowJones
If this tumultuous season ends with the Nets losing in the 2nd round i'll have to say it was a successful season. I personally do not see them advancing past the 1st round. Way too inconsistent.
If they end up playing the Cavs, they should consider themselves lucky.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:52 AM   #14
Hstone
Serious playground baller
 
Hstone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: isle of wight
Posts: 414
Default Re: NJ still clinging to the big 3.

We can easily beat wizards
Hstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #15
bokes15
Playoffs!
 
bokes15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 9,282
Default Re: NJ still clinging to the big 3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hstone
We can easily beat wizards
How in the world would you end up playing the wizards?
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:32 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy