Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-03-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
The_Masterplan
Banned

The_Masterplan has an OK reputation so far
Default Is there a "before-life?"

Everyone always talks about there being an after-life like heaven or hell.

Now does anyone think there mightv'e been a before-life but we just have no re-collection of it?
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:01 PM   #2
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Is there a "before-life?"

I was raised Mormon so perhaps this is different in other faiths. I think it basically had to do with some sort of battle in Heaven, and that God wanted to test the faith of his followers by sending them to Earth with no recollection.

I was always told that those who fought hardest in Heaven were sent down in the final days. Like, now. Because our faith was so strong and we would be better suited to resist the temptations of the modern world.

Or something. I dunno.

Last edited by reppy : 04-03-2007 at 08:04 PM.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Masterplan

Now does anyone think there mightv'e been a before-life but we just have no re-collection of it?

I have read several books/articles in regards to this, I'm not sure what the correct terminology is but I'll just refer to it as eternal consciousness. The theory roughly is that reincarnation does exist but it is by choice. Our spirits have existed physically before and by "living" each life (not always on this physical plane either) our spirits grow, evolve, experience, and learn. In essence we are part of eternity. Our spirit or consciousness has one goal: to become one with the Almighty.

I am definitely not informed enough to do these ideas justice, but roughly that is what I remember reading.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:25 PM   #4
different107
National High School Star

different107 has decent reputation

I honestly never thought or heard anything about this topic until just now.
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #5
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
I have read several books/articles in regards to this, I'm not sure what the correct terminology is but I'll just refer to it as eternal consciousness. The theory roughly is that reincarnation does exist but it is by choice. Our spirits have existed physically before and by "living" each life (not always on this physical plane either) our spirits grow, evolve, experience, and learn. In essence we are part of eternity. Our spirit or consciousness has one goal: to become one with the Almighty.

I am definitely not informed enough to do these ideas justice, but roughly that is what I remember reading.
energy with a conscience to travel through different planes and dimensions but as we take on different forms we do not retain any of the information from the previous forms but once we go back into the original state of energy or pure thoughts the Almighty I believe we have some ultimate understanding... I dont recall it being a choice though... been a long time since I read something similar though...

I believe there is 2 absolute truths in the universe but in essence its only one truth... pure energy/thought before birth and pure energy/thought after death...

I dont know about heaven or hell or judgements by a supreme being that may also be true as well but I hope not...
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:38 PM   #6
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Masterplan

If you believe in reincarnation, or past lives then thats you're "before-life" for you. Another thought is that time is circular, so any "after-life" could also be at the same time "before-life" .
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:38 PM   #7
KINGofTHEcourt
Banned

KINGofTHEcourt has an OK reputation so far

Will we ever really know for sure. Its a question of faith.
KINGofTHEcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:44 PM   #8
The_Masterplan
Banned

The_Masterplan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGofTHEcourt

Not really. What do you have to have faith in to have a "before-life?" Not anything really
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 09:52 PM   #9
vapid
Paranoid Android

vapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation herevapid has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGofTHEcourt
You could've said that about a lot of things. If everyone thought like you human progress would be extremely slow.
vapid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:07 PM   #10
mariodeathgrip
incoherent!!!!

mariodeathgrip is considered somewhat coolmariodeathgrip is considered somewhat coolmariodeathgrip is considered somewhat cool

I was an elephant in my past life but I don't remember much about it!!!!
mariodeathgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:20 AM   #11
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
energy with a conscience to travel through different planes and dimensions but as we take on different forms we do not retain any of the information from the previous forms but once we go back into the original state of energy or pure thoughts the Almighty I believe we have some ultimate understanding... I dont recall it being a choice though... been a long time since I read something similar though...

I believe there is 2 absolute truths in the universe but in essence its only one truth... pure energy/thought before birth and pure energy/thought after death...

I dont know about heaven or hell or judgements by a supreme being that may also be true as well but I hope not...

I knew I missed some things, it has been awhile since I've read these works. I do remember the energy/thought aspect of our souls and that we aren't able to remember our past experiences (although there have been examples of people correctly remembering names, events, birthdays and other impossible to remember numbers from "past lives").

I could have sworn that I read it was a choice how soon, when, and where we would be reborn. Of course I could be way off base, I'm hardly an informed source.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:41 AM   #12
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

this is an interesting thread
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:36 AM   #13
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
I knew I missed some things, it has been awhile since I've read these works. I do remember the energy/thought aspect of our souls and that we aren't able to remember our past experiences (although there have been examples of people correctly remembering names, events, birthdays and other impossible to remember numbers from "past lives").

I could have sworn that I read it was a choice how soon, when, and where we would be reborn. Of course I could be way off base, I'm hardly an informed source.
you may be right its been a while wish i had my library with me in Japan
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:20 PM   #14
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default eternal hoops

the concept of "time" is our framework as created beings

past-present-future

there is a "before-life" for anything that is part of creation. it would have come before. before i existed, bill russell was winning championships with the celtics

a related question is: eternity which is outside of time and everlasting

is there a point where the past and future do not exist but all there is is the "eternal now"?

i actually think we get a sense of this playing hoops!! the past doesnt exist; the future has yet to come. all that exists is the moment and we forget about everything else when we are on the court
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 02:30 PM   #15
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

You should check out plato...
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: