Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #1
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation
Default My thoughts on a few things

1) For as much flake as A-Rod gets, he's going down as one of the top 5 baseball players in the history of the game. Some people don't view him as a top five player in baseball at this moment. That's fine. Baseball, moreso than any other sport remembers individual numbers rather than team performance. I would love to have a subpar season hitting for 35/120. He has about 5-8 years to get rid of the choke lable.

2) Al Pacino is the meanest actor of all time. Has anyone ever embraced and performed the role of a character as good as Pacino did with Michael Corleone? He WAS Michael.

His speech in any given sunday is awesome. Obviously if you're a fan of Pacino you know his voice is totally different with age, but for one moment during that speech he sounds exactly like Michael Corleone. A chilling moment.

3) The movie 300 is overrated by the majority of people. It wasn't that good. The only thing that makes that movie appealing is the awesome look to it. The cast, screenplay, etc, is subpar.

4) Tim Duncan is something else. His team could win 60 this year and it's ho-hum...it's expected - because it's his team. Not to many players can win like that year in and year out.

5) When I watch the Mavericks play I don't feel as if I'm watching an all-time great team out there. I mean I know about their record and where it will stand in history...but I don't get the feeling of them being on that level. It's probably because they never won a championship.

That is all for now.

I'm curious to your opinions on these five things.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:30 PM   #2
different107
National High School Star

different107 has decent reputation
Default Re: My thoughts on a few things

I disagree about A-Rod being one of the top 5 players in MLB. He has to beat out a lot of other talented players. Don't get me wrong, he is an exeptional player but I don't think he is top 5 caliber.

As of late, I agree about the Mavs. They don't appear as dominant right now as they did earlier, but I expect them to turn that around come playoffs.
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 11:20 PM   #3
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
1) For as much flake as A-Rod gets, he's going down as one of the top 5 baseball players in the history of the game. Some people don't view him as a top five player in baseball at this moment. That's fine. Baseball, moreso than any other sport remembers individual numbers rather than team performance. I would love to have a subpar season hitting for 35/120. He has about 5-8 years to get rid of the choke lable.

2) Al Pacino is the meanest actor of all time. Has anyone ever embraced and performed the role of a character as good as Pacino did with Michael Corleone? He WAS Michael.

His speech in any given sunday is awesome. Obviously if you're a fan of Pacino you know his voice is totally different with age, but for one moment during that speech he sounds exactly like Michael Corleone. A chilling moment.

3) The movie 300 is overrated by the majority of people. It wasn't that good. The only thing that makes that movie appealing is the awesome look to it. The cast, screenplay, etc, is subpar.

4) Tim Duncan is something else. His team could win 60 this year and it's ho-hum...it's expected - because it's his team. Not to many players can win like that year in and year out.

5) When I watch the Mavericks play I don't feel as if I'm watching an all-time great team out there. I mean I know about their record and where it will stand in history...but I don't get the feeling of them being on that level. It's probably because they never won a championship.

That is all for now.

I'm curious to your opinions on these five things.

1. No way top 5 of all time, I am not much of a baseball fan but there is no way he cracks top 5 EVER. Not even close.

2. He was fantastic in The Godfather, but De Niro was even better in Godfather II. Other AMAZING, not just good, performances off the top of my head:

F. Murray Abraham as Antonio Salieri in Amadeus...Simply amazing performance, this entire movie is PERFECT. Go rent it right now!!

Robert De Niro as Jake LaMotta in Raging Bull

Marlon Brando as Terry Malloy in On the Waterfront

Dustin Hoffman as Raymond in Rain Man

There are tons more that are great but not quite at the level of above: Dustin Hoffman, Clint Eastwood, Gene Hackman, Morgan Freeman, Ian McKellan and more are always fantastic. And even though he is usually the Supporting Actor and his characters are very similar, I love Joe Pesci. He is always hilarious and always good.

3. 300 is not overrated, it was absolutely beautiful to watch and visually stunning.I felt as if I was watching a battle on an alien planet with all of the fantastic monsters and characters. Far from my favorite, but I loved it. Yes, very cliche dialogue in some areas, but if you can watch a movie with the sound off and still be enamored by it, you are watching a good movie.

4. I'm worn out from discussing movies...Tim Duncan is pure class. Several rings, MVP, All Star etc. and yet consistently ignored for more flash (double meaning!). I'm bored to tears watching him and the Spurs play but he is one of the best ever.

5. Until they win at least two rings, I cannot even consider them with the greatest teams ever. It's not fair to them or the legendary Bulls, Lakers, Celtics etc.

Last edited by Randy : 04-03-2007 at 11:22 PM.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 09:55 PM   #4
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading

Carbine has decent reputationCarbine has decent reputation

Quote:
1. No way top 5 of all time, I am not much of a baseball fan but there is no way he cracks top 5 EVER. Not even close.

Not even close? He has a chance at the HR record if he decides to play into his 40's. He has a chance to finish his career with 800HR/2400RBI...both would be all-time records. He has won gold gloves, although his feilding has really declined since those days. Maybe he can turn that part of his game around... there is still time.

He will certainly have a case for top five.

Quote:
3. 300 is not overrated, it was absolutely beautiful to watch and visually stunning.I felt as if I was watching a battle on an alien planet with all of the fantastic monsters and characters. Far from my favorite, but I loved it. Yes, very cliche dialogue in some areas, but if you can watch a movie with the sound off and still be enamored by it, you are watching a good movie.

That is all that movie has going for it - the visuals. The characters perform poorly, the casting job was horrible. I'm talking about what made great movies great. It wasn't how it looked, it was much deeper than that. This movie is lacking those things heavily. It's eye candy.

Quote:
4.I'm bored to tears watching him and the Spurs play but he is one of the best ever.

That's the thing, a big man who controls the game from the post, makes the right reads, gets the ball to the right players, etc is fun to watch. To me it is, anyway.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 10:53 PM   #5
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbine
Not even close? He has a chance at the HR record if he decides to play into his 40's. He has a chance to finish his career with 800HR/2400RBI...both would be all-time records. He has won gold gloves, although his feilding has really declined since those days. Maybe he can turn that part of his game around... there is still time.

He will certainly have a case for top five.

That is all that movie has going for it - the visuals. The characters perform poorly, the casting job was horrible. I'm talking about what made great movies great. It wasn't how it looked, it was much deeper than that. This movie is lacking those things heavily. It's eye candy.

Stats don't make the player. Rod has all the talent in the world but his lack of playoff performances will be his demise. Are you honestly going to put him ahead of Ruth, Mantle, Mays, Dimaggio, and Jeter? That's just five he'll never pass, regardless of stats and I'm not even including pitchers (I'm focusing on Ruth's HR's).

I guess it takes more knowledge of the difficulties of film production to appreciate the aesthetics of 300. I know acting and other character variables are important to film, but my god, that movie was beautiful. It was watching a video game set within a Rembrandt painting.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: