Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-04-2007, 05:31 PM   #31
adamcz
Bucks fan

Default Re: Kevin Garnett opens up about losing, AI and his future

Quote:
Originally Posted by saKf
vomit.
The Wolves won't get much for KG. He's a one-year rental, and will opt out to go wherever he truly wants to go after the year's done. What team would trade a top 5 pick for that? Phoenix is the only place I can think of, but they'd have to send a bunch of bad contracts back with it (Diaw/Thomas/Banks).

I feel for Minnesota fans, but I just don't think you can expect to get much for a star player unless he has ~3 years remaining.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:33 PM   #32
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

tell me what Milwaukee would give. I dont care if KG has 2 years left or 6 years left, its KG.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:52 PM   #33
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Quote:
Ick. This is supposed to be some kind of positively-motivating factor? When trading a big contract (whose stock is down as a result of a disappointing season) and getting a lottery pick in return, you can't be incredibly picky about what else comes with it.

And anyway, you're going to trade Artest this summer for Ricky Davis because Minnesota's phenomenally stupid.

Ron might make MN a lot better though. But yeah I can see how his issues would make people not want him.

Anyway, Bibby for the pick+THud and Mike James sound good to you?
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 05:53 PM   #34
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Ill keep my pick.

Ill give you KG for Martin, Williams and your first.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:03 PM   #35
BradMiller52
Kings fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Ill keep my pick.

Ill give you KG for Martin, Williams and your first.

This would be hard to turn down but no thanks. Martin/first are going to be important to the Kings for the next 10 years, not to mention I'd hopefully find a late lottery pick for Bibby.
BradMiller52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:06 PM   #36
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
I was telling some friends the other day, my analogy is a house. I've helped build a house or I've built a house [in Minneapolis]. It had old wood in it and I replaced it with special wood and it became a beautiful place. But now because things aren't working right, now you ask me to move out of something that I helped build. That's hard.

Actually KG, a proper analogy is that you were asked to move into a house that someone else built and to be a good steward... keep the house clean, keep the curb appeal high... raise the value of the house... and you've been doing your job. Unfortunately, the slum lords you work for haven't been doing theirs. They've been buying old or cheap appliances, they've been found to have acted illegally in the past, prohibiting them from buying the new and best for the house... They've put up ugly siding and even uglier wallpaper inside... You've been tending to the garden they gave you, but the seeds of the supposed flowers you're supposed to plant have really been weeds...

KG, you work for slum lords... demand a trade...
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:12 PM   #37
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ne50
I don't see losing bothering him that much.

I take it you didn't see KG crying in an interview during last year's all star game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ef-f7EeDpYI
Old 04-04-2007, 06:17 PM   #38
adamcz
Bucks fan

Quote:
tell me what Milwaukee would give. I dont care if KG has 2 years left or 6 years left, its KG.
KG has one year left, not 2 or 6. A small market team like Milwaukee would be retarded to offer KG's worth. Worked out real well for us when we traded Ray Allen for Gary Payton, and figured he would want to stay here and renew.

Whatever team trades for KG has got to make sure that the pieces they keep when it's all said and done are way the hell better than what KG has been losing with in Minnesota. He simply won't resign with a team that he feels no obligation to unless he thinks he's winning a ring.

Let's pretend the Bucks offer Villanueva, Mo Williams, and a draft pick like KG is "worth." We get one year of contending for the Eastern title (or not), and then KG leaves. That's a gamble that isn't worth taking. There's no gaurentee that KG can take Redd and Bogut further than he was able to take Cassell and Spree, when KG was closer to his exact prime back then.

Go ahead and say "Get out of here with your crappy offers, this is KG!" Minnesota fans (and their GM) have been saying that for years now, and are stuck with an angry KG and the lottery. Could have gotten a lot more value last year or the year before, but time is running out now.

So here's the best I would offer if I were GM:
Milwaukee trades Simmons, Villanueva, Mo Williams (S&T), and that's it. No draft picks.
Wolves trade: KG.

There are better offers out there? Go take one of them.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:21 PM   #39
Rab
Jared Dudley's #1 Fan

If Sarver is willing to pay the luxury tax next season, then he needs to take a serious look at trying to aquire KG.
Rab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:22 PM   #40
FPower
Local High School Star

Quote:
He simply won't resign with a team that he feels no obligation to unless he thinks he's winning a ring.

I disagree. Refresh me on the Payton situation; how much money did he actually turn down when he went to the Lakers for the MLE instead? KG would be turning down a LOT more money than that if he did the same thing. I'd put down a pretty sizeable bet that he doesn't opt out of his current contract unless he's intending on signing another long term deal with his current team.
FPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:24 PM   #41
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Garnett gets $21 million right now.

Shaq gets 20, Webber got 18 before being released, Iverson gets 18, Kidd gets 18, Jermaine O'Neal gets 18, Kobe Bryant and Tim Duncan get 17.

The difference really isn't that much.

And when you consider that a team with that kind of contract probably isn't going to be under the cap anyway, it's REALLY not that big a deal until you get into luxury tax territory.

But that's the thing - luxury tax territory can be safely avoided with WISE USE OF SALARY CAP EXCEPTIONS, something for which Minnesota is definitely not known.

Exactly... people seem to believe that KG's salary has handicapped his team, but that isn't the case at all. A good team can be built around a player pulling in a lot of money. Granted, it may be easier to build around a cheaper player, but with wise aquisitions and good trades, a very good team can be build around expensive players... Minnesota's problem is that they've made lackluster deals and have unwisely taken on poor longterm salaries...
Old 04-04-2007, 06:24 PM   #42
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

I think Kevin is the best basketball player in the world but I don't feel sorry for him. That organization simply does not know how to function effectively with his contract.

Yes, they have made bad personel moves. Yes, they got killed in the Joe Smith situation. None of that changes the fact that Kevin's deal is the catalyst for all the bad moves in Minnesota.

Marbury was not hating. He simply wanted fair market value. He got that from New Jersey.

No, it wasn't Googs getting injured that caused him to leave Minnesota. He was a free agent and was not offered a contract. He became a relatively inexpensive free agent signing for Phoenix.

Kevin's deal is the reason the front office keeps looking for "good deals" on the free agent market and getting stuck with guys no one wants. Kevin's deal is the reason that Sprewell and Cassell could not both be resigned.

I will never blame Kevin for taking the money. I would sign that contract in his place 100 out of 100 times. However, I do recognize that he signed that contract with an organization simply not equipped to handle it.

Kevin's contract is to the Timberwolves what Alex Rodriquez' contract was to the Texas Rangers. It's above what they can handle and still be productive.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:27 PM   #43
adamcz
Bucks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
Kevin's deal is the reason that Sprewell and Cassell could not both be resigned.
Sprewell was offered a huge deal, but he turned it down.
Old 04-04-2007, 06:30 PM   #44
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Quote:
So here's the best I would offer if I were GM:
Milwaukee trades Simmons, Villanueva, Mo Williams (S&T)............

............... hangs up............
Old 04-04-2007, 06:32 PM   #45
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
............... hangs up............

You forgot the fact that you laughed before you hung up...
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: