if anybody knows the history of haiti and its colonial 'partners', they might be inclined to believe it is owed massive reparations. that is if you agree to reparations in principle, such as germany owing money for its destructive actions in the 20th century.
- to that point, haitian boat migrants claiming asylum had been rising. carter gave amnesty to a bunch of them. reagan criminalized them and ramped up patrol around the island.
- this was during the decades long dictatorship of duvalier, strongly supported by the united states as an agreeable partner, in spite of his criminal brutality
- for five years between 86-91 you had the country run by a military council strongly linked to the duvalier regime
25 years ago
- jean bertrand aristide shocks everybody by winning the first free and fair elections in haiti since... god knows when, maybe ever. his opponent, center right candidate marc bazin backed by the united states, got 14% of the vote. it was organizing the vote in slums that won the election.
- immediately the united states and some of its allies cancelled aid money for haiti, unless the money went to the opposition (which overlapped with the military junta who had been murdering people for decades)
- the united states raised its quota for haitian asylum seekers by several hundred percent
. this is the real reason for the graphs posted above. haitian emigration exploded during the 1990s because those reagan mandates were canceled and haitians were welcomed in with open arms; presumably, though i'm speculating here, to be used as a weapon against the aristide regime. makes sense if you can shout "SEE look how many people are LEAVING, it must really suck there
- the rest of the history goes on, aristide was deposed and kept in prison by the united states on incredibly flimsy charges. he was let out some months before the end of his mandate, near the next election which was far less free and far less fair and has once again brought haitians to their knees.
this is all after 200 years of the worst imperial rule in the entire western world. for its disobedience in 1750, it has been subject to punishment after punishment and turned into nothing more than an economic colony ripe for resource exploitation.
and then they go and get hit by a ****ing earthquake..
lengthy resource for anybody interested in more