Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum

D-League Forum, Minor League and International Basketball Forum D-League Forum, Minor League and world international basketball forum

Old 06-20-2007, 10:39 AM   #46
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Default Re: Philippine Basketball Association Thread

CLEVELAND - San Antonio director of pro player personnel Dell Demps said the other day Talk ‘N' Text will train with the four-time NBA champion Spurs in the Alamo City in August and Phone Pals coach Derick Pumaren is finalizing the details of the two-week camp.
Demps played as an import for Pepsi in 1992 and Shell in 1994. He keeps in close touch with Pumaren and has visited Manila at least twice since finishing his PBA career.

Talk ‘N' Text is the first foreign team to benefit from the experience of the Spurs' recent sweep of the Cleveland Cavaliers in the NBA Finals.
Demps said coach Gregg Popovich's staff, possibly except for P. J. Carlesimo, will supervise the camp for the PBA team. Carlesimo is rumored to be considering a job with the Seattle SuperSonics.

“The best thing that ever happened to me in the Philippines was meeting Derick,” said Demps. “Just a few weeks ago, I was on the phone with him. We text each other all the time and I hope Talk ‘N' Text makes it to the PBA Finals.”

In 2003, Demps was in Manila to train the La Salle varsity on Pumaren's invitation. The Archers were then bringing in a slew of fresh recruits, including Jayvee Casio and Tyrone t*&^ . Demps traveled alone, stayed for two weeks, returned to watch the US NCAA Final Four and came back for another two weeks, this time with his wife Anita. When he got back to the US, Demps was hired by the New York Knicks as a scout.

Last year, Demps arranged for Pumaren to join the Spurs coaching staff in the summer leagues.

“I wasn't an observer,” said Pumaren in a long distance phone call from Manila. “I was part of the Spurs staff and joined the team in summer leagues in Las Vegas and Salt Lake City. Dell advises me on which imports to get and although he's not an agent, he puts me in touch with the right people. He recommended J. J. Sullinger for our team this conference.”

Pumaren said Demps' dream is to see a Filipino player in the NBA.

“He told me he plans to bring some NBA scouts to watch games in the PBA,” said Pumaren. “At one time, he was closely looking at Willie Miller and Jimmy Alapag. Maybe, we can invite him to come, conduct clinics and help our national team.”

Demps played for Golden State, Orlando and San Antonio in a three-year NBA career. After his playing days were over, he was Sam Vincent's assistant coach on the Mobile Revelers team that won the NBA D-League title in 2003. He was initially a scout for the Knicks then became the director of pro player personnel, the position he now has with the Spurs whom he joined two years ago.

“I coached Dell for Pepsi,” said Pumaren. “He was a two-three player, very coachable and we got along to the point that we became very close friends.”

Demps has his suits and shirts made exclusively at “Rich and Famous,” a tailoring shop on the second floor of the Pension Virginia building on Pasay Road, Makati. He's been a customer since the shop opened nine years back. Pumaren sends Demps' clothes to San Antonio through friends.

Spurs guard Bruce Bowen also has his suits and shirts made at “Rich and Famous.”

During the recent NBA Finals, Demps wore his Philippine-made suits.

“Rich and Famous” proprietress Zeny Magdangal said Demps orders about 10 suits and 20 shirts, both long and short-sleeved, twice a year. Bowen sent a sample suit for his measurements and just got the first delivery of three suits, four long-sleeved shirts and three short-sleeved shirts. He is due for a second order.

Magdangal said master cutter Ben Dalida of Cavite takes care of the orders of both Demps and Bowen. “Our customers include the entire Pumaren family, including Franz and Dindo, Bong Ravena, Tonichi Yturri and Frankie Lim,” said Magdangal. “We employ about 15 tailors to do the men's clothes and five for women. They mostly do their work at home so our shop is just an order taker.”

Demps played at the University of the Pacific and earned his bachelor and master's degrees in business administration in the California school. He and wife Anita, a lawyer, have three sons Jourdan, 17, Tre, 14, and Riley, 7.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 10:41 AM   #47
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerky10
@ Lebron23
Do you have updates of the Fil-Shams that played in the Philippines. Rob Parker, Sonny Alvarado, Al Segova, Matt Mitchell, Jon Ordonio, and etc.

I heard that Sonny Alvarado is playing in the Puerto Rican League, Al Segova is in the USA the reason he leave the Philippines is because he is having an affair to Jackie Paras, Matt Mitchell, Jon Ordonio and Rob Parker are semi retired from playing proffessional basketball.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #48
jerky10
Decent playground baller

So does Segova really have Filipino roots? Who else among the Fil-Shams you remember that are still playing pro ball right now?
jerky10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 11:19 AM   #49
Deathvainx
Banned

Talking Re: Philippine Basketball Association Thread

ALASKA LEFTIES DO EVERYTHING RIGHT

Aces take commanding 2-0 semis lead vs. SMB

Friday, 22 June 2007

Alaska’s left-handed players did most of the damage as the Aces handed San Miguel Beer a 93-68 beating in Game 2 Friday night to take a commanding 2-0 lead in their best-of-7 semifinal series in the Talk ‘N Text-PBA Fiesta Conference at the Araneta Coliseum.
After the Beermen raced to a 6-3 lead in the first two and a half minutes of the game, lefties Rosell Ellis, John Ferriols, Willie Miller and Reynel Hugnatan combined to score 15 points in a 22-2 run during the remainder of the first period as Alaska broke the game wide open. Those four Aces actually outscored the entire SMB squad which trailed 22-8 at the end of the first 12 minutes of play as the Beermen matched the lowest output in a quarter this conference.

Another left-handed player in Eddie Laure joined in the scoring fray, pouring in all his nine points in the two middle periods and helping Alaska take leads of as much 33 in the one-sided game, which turned out to be San Miguel Beer’s worst loss in three conferences under head coach Siot Tanquingcen, including his interim stints in the 2002 Governors and Commissioner’s Cups.

“Yes my lefties did everything right tonight. But I really felt all my players did a wonderful job. I thought we defended well early in the basketball game,” Alaska head coach Tim Cone said in the post-game conference.

Ellis finished with 17 points to lead the Aces which had all their 13 players breaking into the scoring column. Hugnatan added 13, Ferriols 12 and Miller 11 as Alaska’s five southpaws combined for 62 points, just six short of equaling the entire San Miguel Beer output.

The Beermen, who are down 0-2 in a best-of-7 series for the first time since the 2001 Commissioner’s Cup Finals against Red Bull, just couldn’t find their shots in the early goings, shooting just 24.3% from the field en route to being 20 down and scoring just 25 points at halftime.

“San Miguel always has one bad game once in a while and then they comeback strong and win the next three… four games. So that’s one bad game out of the way,” Cone said.

Only two players scored in double figures for San Miguel Beer with Galen Young and Rico Villanueva finishing with 20 and 16 points, respectively.

Alaska, which is eyeing its first Finals appearance in a regular conference since the 2002 Governors Cup and hasn’t won in an import-laden conference since the 1998 Commissioner’s Cup, will try to make it 3-0 on Sunday also at the Big Dome.

The 25-point margin of victory was the biggest for the Aces since their 102-72 rout of Barangay Ginebra last Oct. 19, 2005 in this very same conference last season. (DBC)

The scores:

Alaska 93 – Ellis 17, Hugnatan 13, Ferriols 12, Miller 11, Laure 9, Belasco 8, Cariaso 6, Thoss 4, Singson 4, Aban 3, Cortez 2, Bajar 2, Juinio 2.

San Miguel Beer 68 – Young 20, Villanueva 16, Ildefonso 8, Pena 6, Espinas 5, Gonzales 3, Cablay 3, Racela 3, Tenorio 2, Wilson 2, Adriano 0, Calaguio 0.

Quarterscores: 25-8, 45-25, 70-38, 93-68.

Last edited by Deathvainx : 06-22-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Deathvainx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 01:03 PM   #50
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

ALASKA KNOCKING ON FINALS DOOR

Cortez-led Aces turn back furious SMB rally in endgame for 3-1 lead

Wednesday, 27 June 2007

After playing a cameo role for three quarters, Mike Cortez returned in the fourth period, took charge and guided the Alaska Aces to a 93-87 victory over the San Miguel Beermen Wednesday night in Game 4 of their semifinal series in the Talk ‘N Text-PBA Fiesta Conference at the Araneta Coliseum.

With his team now holding a comfortable 3-1 lead, Alaska coach Tim Cone said he likes his chances of wrapping the best-of-seven series on Friday.
Game 5 is scheduled at 7:20 p.m. at the Cuneta Astrodome.

It marked the first time Alaska had a 3-1 lead in a best-of seven series since the 2006 Philippine Cup semifinals against Purefoods which curiously the Aces still lost in seven games, something Cone is wary of.

“I will say it again, its not impossible (for San Miguel) beating us three in a row. But that’s improbable,” Cone said.

The Aces spent almost three quarters playing catch up and after they finally caught up with the Beermen early in the fourth with SMB import Galen Young on the bench with four fouls and Rosell Ellis taking a breather.

“The turning point was the fourth (quarter) when Mike (Cortez) and Rey (Hugnatan) came in fresh and Eddie (Laure) hitting a huge three. It’s obvious San Miguel is running on fumes and we capitalized on it,” Cone said.

Bad news greeted the Aces, Laure in particular, after the game. The reserve forward had learned after the game that his sister died while undergoing a blood transfusion.

“We’re really devastated by the news,” Cone said during the post-game interview.

Alaska trailed 60-68 after three quarters but the Aces opened the fourth with a 12-2 run. Laure ended that spurt with a 3-pointer that tied the count at 72-72 with 9:07 remaining.

“We’re not counting (San Miguel) out yet. We still got 48 minutes to get the job done,” said Ellis, who is playing in his fifth conference and fourth PBA team since 2001 but has yet to play in a PBA Finals.

“That will be sweet,” said Ellis, who finished with 18 points that included a horrendous 4-of-12 shooting from the line.

Jeffrey Cariaso led all scorers with 23 points on 9-of-10 shooting from the field and 5-for-5 from the foul line. Playing in only his 10th game for Alaska this conference after returning from a torn ACL injury, Cortez added 14 – 12 coming in the fourth – and had five assists for the Aces, who shot 52 percent from the field.

Two free throws by Wesley Gonzales and a four-point play by Cris Calaguio put SMB ahead, 78-72, but the Beermen lost steam in the final seven minutes. That fatal stretch included four crucial turnovers, three missed free throws by Young and a miss by Dorian Pena in the closing seconds.

“We have to wrap this up Friday. We can’t afford to let San Miguel live another day. They’re a very dangerous team if you give them life,” said Cortez, who is very much aware of the Beermen’s 4-0 record in do-or-die games this conference.

Danny Ildefonso tallied 16 points, Calaguio had 14 and Enrico Villanueva added 13 for the Beermen, who are down 1-3 in a best-of-seven series for the first time since the 1993 All-Filipino Finals against Coney Island.

The Beermen dictated the pace to their liking in the first half and led by as many as nine points by keeping Ellis away from his comfort zone and forcing him to shoot from the outside.

“San Miguel really did a good job controlling the first half. But we know at this point they need a refill,” said Cone of the Beermen’s seemingly running on an empty tank after having played through the wildcard and quarterfinal phases of the playoffs. (DBC)

The scores:

Alaska 93 – Cariaso 23, Ellis 18, Cortez 14, Hugnatan 10, Miller 9, Thoss 8, Laure 5, Belasco 4, Ferriols 2, Singson 0.

San Miguel Beer 87 – Ildefonso 16, Calaguio 14, Villanueva 13, Tenorio 9, Cablay 9, Young 8, Wilson 6, Racela 6, Gonzales 4, Pena 2.

Quarterscores: 21-27, 41-46, 60-68, 93-87.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:33 AM   #51
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

If the LA Tenorio and JJ Trade would happen this would be Ginebra's possible lineup.

Starting 5

C- Eric Menk
F- Raffy Reavis
F- Gabby Espinas
G- Mark Caguioa
G- LA Tenorio

Off the Bench

G- Ronald Tubid
F- Sunday Salvacion
F- Ken Bono
F- Mike Holper
C- Billy Mamaril
G- Jec Chia
G- Mark Macapagal

Coach: Jong Uichico
Asst: Siot Tanquincen, Pido Jarencio and Dudut Jaworski

This would be a great mix of young and veteran talent for our team.

If i was trying to save money but also keep my team around for the next decade, i would be willing to trade JJ Helterbrand for lets say LA Tenorio and Gabby Espinas and a high 1st rounder.

It helps the team alot more than trading JJ for LA
imagine having LA Tenorio and MC for the next 10years

Last edited by Lebron23 : 06-28-2007 at 04:59 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:10 PM   #52
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

[quote author=than link=topic=161631.msg780320#msg780320 date=1183040988]
Gabe Norwood could try the short cut route in making himself eligible in the rookie draft by commiting himself, of course with the help from RP team coaching staff's to represent the country in the Jones Cup as a regular member.

That way, even if he still havent played a single amateur game, he can be eligible.

Regarding my take on what position SMB needs to draft, i will go for a pure point guard.

Smb(coke) has 1 lottery ball vs 2 from Welcoat, & if ever Welcoat wins the lottery, they will surely draft a Big Man to help JR Reyes man the Frontline.

They are looking for either Ken Bono, Samigue Eman or Joe Devance.

Now SMB assuming they picks 2nd, they could go for a star PG in preparation on Olsen's retirement.

LA Tenorio needs a back court partner as Brandon Cablay is not a pure PG.
If Gabe Norwood become eligible & subsequently applies for the draft, i'm 100% sure that coach Chot Reyes will select him. He was the one who discovered anyway.

If not, then theres Filam Ryan Reyes or homegrown Jason Castro.

Smb could also draft the best talent available if Norwood didnt apply for the draft & that could be anyone Welcoat did not select from Ken Bono to Joe Devance & it could be a trade bait for a star PG from other teams.

Samigue Eman is out of SMB's equation as coach Chot Reyes doesn't like Eman's work ethic when he was invited to the National training Pool.

I've heard another Filam prospect Rob Reyes had no interest at all to apply for the draft.

Earlier today, i met mega agent Danny Espiritu in Glorietta. He had a meeting with 1 Fil-Canadian guard who wants to enter the draft. I saw him, he's not that big. Maybe 5-10 or 5-11.

SMB will surely trade 1 to 3 players after this conference to have roster space availble when DS,DH & LT returns to active duty.
[/quote]

This will be a great turn of events for PBA and San Miguel Beermen.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:10 PM   #53
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Than
Gabe Norwood could try the short cut route in making himself eligible in the rookie draft by commiting himself, of course with the help from RP team coaching staff's to represent the country in the Jones Cup as a regular member.

That way, even if he still havent played a single amateur game, he can be eligible.

Regarding my take on what position SMB needs to draft, i will go for a pure point guard.

Smb(coke) has 1 lottery ball vs 2 from Welcoat, & if ever Welcoat wins the lottery, they will surely draft a Big Man to help JR Reyes man the Frontline.

They are looking for either Ken Bono, Samigue Eman or Joe Devance.

Now SMB assuming they picks 2nd, they could go for a star PG in preparation on Olsen's retirement.

LA Tenorio needs a back court partner as Brandon Cablay is not a pure PG.
If Gabe Norwood become eligible & subsequently applies for the draft, i'm 100% sure that coach Chot Reyes will select him. He was the one who discovered anyway.

If not, then theres Filam Ryan Reyes or homegrown Jason Castro.

Smb could also draft the best talent available if Norwood didnt apply for the draft & that could be anyone Welcoat did not select from Ken Bono to Joe Devance & it could be a trade bait for a star PG from other teams.

Samigue Eman is out of SMB's equation as coach Chot Reyes doesn't like Eman's work ethic when he was invited to the National training Pool.

I've heard another Filam prospect Rob Reyes had no interest at all to apply for the draft.

Earlier today, i met mega agent Danny Espiritu in Glorietta. He had a meeting with 1 Fil-Canadian guard who wants to enter the draft. I saw him, he's not that big. Maybe 5-10 or 5-11.

SMB will surely trade 1 to 3 players after this conference to have roster space availble when DS,DH & LT returns to active duty.

This will be a great turn of events for PBA and San Miguel Beermen.

Last edited by Lebron23 : 06-28-2007 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:27 AM   #54
snipes12
Dirk Madness

anu bang kagaguhan to ..Tae ang pba ! wala na ang karisma ng pba ngayon .
Vergel Meneses pa rin no.1!!!!! asa philippine team magjakol na lang sila
snipes12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 12:54 PM   #55
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

PHONE PALS ESCAPE WITH A GAME 5 THRILLER OF A WIN

Sullinger fires 10 of team’s last 12 points as TNT puts one foot in Finals
Friday, 29 June 2007

J.J. Sullinger asserted himself for the first time in the playoffs in a game that could be the turning point of the series.

Sullinger took matters into his own hands with the game on the line, scoring 10 of his team's last 12 points in the final two minutes as Talk ‘N Text held off Red Bull, 112-111, Friday night in Game 5 of their semifinal series at the Cuneta Astrodome.

"Coming into the game our mindset was to regain the lead at the end of the day. The guys showed how much they wanted this game and JJ took over in the fourth," said TNT coach Derick Pumaren afterwards.

Game 5 was a roller-coaster ride for the Phone Pals, who had to withstand a tremendous challenge from the defending champion Barakos to take a 3-2 lead in the best-of-seven series.

"We did what we had to do. It’s as simple as that," said Sullinger, who has not had a big game in the playoffs until Friday night.

With Red Bull up by four points, the charismatic Talk ‘N Text import completed a three-point play then knocked in an eight-footer to give the Phone Pals a 105-104 lead.

Celino Cruz put Red Bull back in front with a floater but Sullinger knocked in a three-pointer 13 seconds later to put TNT ahead to stay, 108-106, with 58 seconds remaining.

Sullinger finished with 19 points on 6-of-11 shooting and had five assists.

Mark Cardona, who carried the fight for the Phone Pals in the first half, tallied 30 points and had five assists, Jay Washington added 19 and Don Allado and Felix Belano had 12 apiece for the Phone Pals, who could wrap up the series on Sunday.

Game 6 will be played at the Araneta Coliseum. If necessary, Game 7 will be on Wednesday also at the Big Dome.

"Definitely, Red Bull will not just roll and die. So we have to come out with the same intensity and focus," Pumaren said.

After a four-point first half, James Penny warmed up in the second half to lead all scorers with 31 points. Cyrus Baguio added 18 and Mike Hrabak contributed 17 for the Barakos, who played without defensive guard Junthy Valenzuela in the second half.

Valenzuela was rushed to the hospital with a swollen left ankle after landing on the foot of Allado, who was called for a flagrant foul, for planting his foot in between the Red Bull guard's legs while Valenzuela was taking a shot in the second quarter.

The Phone Pals appeared to be headed for a blowout win when they built a 75-62 advantage with under four minutes to play in the third.

But Penny, who struggled with his game in the first half, slowly regained his bearings and helped the defending champions get back into the game.

It looked like Red Bull had a lock on the victory after two free throws by Baguio gave the Barakos a 104-99 lead with 2:59 left. But they couldn't sustain the run when the Phone Pals came charging back.

Talk ‘N Text looked good in the early going and appeared in control.

With Cardona scattering 20 points in the first half, the Phone Pals dictated the pace and led by 11 late in the second quarter before settling for a 59-53 lead at halftime. (DBC)

The scores:

Talk ‘N Text 112 – Cardona 30, Sullinger 19, Washington 19, Allado 12, Belano 12, Carey 9,Billones 6, de Ocampo Y 3, Fran 2.

Red Bull 111 – Penny 31, Baguio 18, Hrabak 17, Cruz 10, Najorda 10, Fonacier 7, Alvarez 5, Valenzuela 5, Sharma 4, Bugia 2, Robinson 2, Ybanez 1.

Quarterscores: 25-30, 59-53, 85-77, 112-111
Old 06-29-2007, 06:11 PM   #56
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

SAN MIGUEL STAYS ALIVE

6 in double figures as Beermen survive 5th do-or-die game

Friday, 29 June 2007

The San Miguel magical ride rolled on Friday night, keeping the team’s bid for a record finish in the tourney.

The Beermen walloped the Alaska Aces, 126-108, as they survived a fifth do-or-die game in the 2007 Talk N Text PBA Fiesta Conference, staying in the hunt for a dream championship coming all the way from the wildcard round.

Not even Galen Young getting into foul trouble situation right in the opening quarter could stop the Beermen from fashioning out an impeccable game to foil the Aces’ first crack at closing out the best-of-seven series.

It was Alaska’s first game at the Astrodome this season and it turned out a dud.

Games shift back to the Araneta Coliseum Sunday with the Aces – their lead reduced to 3-2 – taking their second attempt to win the series.

The Beermen, however, may have become more confident they can survive the Aces and set a record as the first team from the wildcard ever to reach the Finals.

"We live by the day and we intend to just continue working hard," said San Miguel coach Siot Tanquingcen.

Curiously, the Beermen pulled away in the second quarter with Young frozen on the bench as he committed three fouls right in the opening canto.

Shock troopers Dorian Pena, Chris Calaguio and Wesley Gonzales fueled the team’s vicious second quarter attack as the Beermen erected a 56-40 bubble at halftime.

With Young returning to the floor in the second half, the Beermen stepped up their game even more, dominating the Aces to the finish.

The Beermen led by just six at the end of the first period but held sway from the opening tip with Young logging 11 points, three rebounds and one assist against three fouls.

"We didn’t do major adjustments. We just emphasized that we have to play defense – the thing that has been holding us together," said Tanquingcen.

"Not to take anything away from my players, I think Alaska also became complacent. It’s human nature when you’re enjoying a commanding lead," Tanquingcen added.

Six Beermen scored in double figures as San Miguel put up a team-best output this season.

Young had a double-double game with 18 points and 11 rebounds with Pena, Gonzales, Danny Ildefonso, Brandon Cablay and Willy Wilson each contributing at least 11 points. (NC)

The scores:

San Miguel 126 – Young 18, Ildefonso 16, Pena 16, Cablay 14, Gonzales 13, Wilson 11, Villanueva 9, Racela 8, Calaguio 8, Tenorio 7, Adriano 6, Espinas 0.

Alaska 108 – Cariaso 21, Miller 19, Ellis 13, Cortez 12, Hugnatan 10, Bajar 8, Laure 6, Ferriols 6, Juinio 4, Singson 3, Belasco 3, Thoss 2, Aban 1.

Quarterscores: 29-23, 56-40, 90-69, 126-108.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:00 PM   #57
BeeClips
I airball my layups

and we all shine on.

tell raul de castro i said whats up.
BeeClips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 07:53 AM   #58
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

IN HUDDLE
Two PBA teams selling their franchises?

By Beth Celis
Inquirer (http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquire...ticle_id=74153)
Last updated 05:03am (Mla time) 07/01/2007

MANILA, Philippines—Ever since Harbour Centre’s Mikee Romero publicly expressed his intention to join the PBA, people have not stopped asking exactly when he plans to take the big step.

The last two months however, these same people—plus more this time, including player agents—have become more persistent in securing a definite answer.

Which makes me wonder: Do they know something I don’t? Could there be a ballclub disbanding at the end of the season? Why is everyone so eager to make Harbour Centre dock at the PBA?

I know for a fact that Mikee and PBA commissioner Noli Eala have been meeting to discuss Harbour’s projected entry to the pro league. To show how serious he is, the young businessman even presented the PBA board with a letter of intent.

Assuming a team is really disbanding, which one might it be? It won’t be that easy to guess, because even a financially solid franchise can just suddenly fold up.

Just like Shell did last year.

That’s why Mikee Romero’s answer to a certain question practically stirred a hornet’s nest.

In an interview, Mikee let it slip—perhaps accidentally—that two PBA franchises were being offered to him not directly but through back channels.

According to the scribe who interviewed him, Mikee has committed to join the PBA this coming season if Harbour is allowed to elevate 6 players from the amateurs including Filipino-American cagers Joe de Vance and Rob Reyes.

He wants a highly competitive team. Perhaps one capable of staging a grand slam as well in the big league.

Mikee did not reveal which franchises were being offered to him, keeping everybody guessing.

Including me.
Old 07-01-2007, 10:03 AM   #59
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

HARD-EARNED DOUBLE OT WIN OVER SMB BRINGS ACES TO FINALS

Hugnatan, Ferriols deliver in 2nd OT

Sunday, 01 July 2007

Reynel Hugnatan made two crucial free throws with 53 seconds remaining in the second overtime and the Alaska Aces eliminated the San Miguel Beermen, 113-109, in Game 6 of their semifinal series Sunday night to advance to the Finals of the 2007 Talk ‘N Text-PBA Fiesta Conference at the Araneta Coliseum.

It was an amazing comeback for the Aces, who looked defeated after falling behind by 11 points early in the fourth and lost three key players in the crucial stretch with the game on the line.
“I forgot what it feels like to be in the Finals. It’s not sinking in just yet,” were the first words in the post-game interview of Alaska coach Tim Cone, who will be making his 19th Finals appearance since he took over the team late in 1989.

The Aces closed out the series, 4-2.

Their ability to stay together and hung tough when the odds were against them rewarded the Aces a shot at the championship for the first time in a long while.

Alaska won their last conference title during the 2000 All-Filipino Cup and had not won an import-laced conference since the 1998 Commissioner's Cup with Davin Davis as import.

Nobody had asked Cone but he would agree this one is so sweet.

For most part of the regulation period, Alaska could not get its rhythm going and worse, the Aces couldn’t capitalize on the few breaks that went their way.

For all their misfortunes along the way, Cone admitted he nearly gave up.

“I was yelling at everybody … the players, the referees my coaching staff. But then I thought this wouldn’t do any good to the team. So I tried to cool off and regain my senses,” Cone said.

The tenacity and aggressiveness of the match took its toll on Mike Cortez, Sonny Thoss and Nic Belasco of Alaska, Danny Ildefonso and San Miguel import Galen Young who all left the floor on six fouls.

Cone said his import Rosell Ellis was so exhausted he threw up three time moments after reaching their locker room after the game.

Ellis, who will be in his first PBA championship series since he first played in the league in 2001, led all scorers with 34 points on a 13-of-23 shooting from the floor in 53 minutes of play. Willie Miller scored 20 points including two 3-pointers that gave the Aces a 100-98 lead in the first overtime while Hugnatan added 16 and a career-high 17 rebounds for Alaska, which is making its 21st Finals appearance overall since entering the league in 1987.

It was a frustrating loss for the Beermen who appeared on the way to a deciding Game 7 when they built a 76-65 advantage early in the fourth.

But they melted down offensively and missed six of 10 free throws in the last two minutes of the fourth.

Wesley Gonzales scored 17 points and Willy Wilson had a career high-tying 16 for San Miguel, which lost Young and Ildefonso one after the other in overtime.

L.A. Tenorio tallied 13 including four straight points that pulled SMB within 109-110 with 44 seconds left in the second overtime.

After Hugnatan made the count 111-109 with a free throw, San Miguel had a chance to tie or take the lead but Tenorio, who attacked the lane, was whistled for a charging foul off John Ferriols. That offense all but blew the Beermen’s chance to tie the series. (DBC)

The scores:

Alaska 113 – Ellis 34, Miller 20, Hugnatan 16, Cortez 15, Belasco 7, Singson 5, Aban 4, Thoss 4, Laure 4, Ferriols 4, Bajar 0, Juinio 0.

San Miguel Beer 109 – Gonzales 17, Wilson 16, Tenorio 13, Ildefonso 13, Cablay 12, Villanueva 10, Young 9, Racela 9, Calaguio 6, Pena 4.

Quarterscores: 23-25, 47-49, 65-71, 92-92, 100-100, 113-109.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:45 AM   #60
Lebron23
Most Valuable Player

CARDONA, BILLONES KEY SERIES CLINCHER FOR TNT

Phone Pals arrange Finals showdown vs. Alaska

Monday, 02 July 2007

The reigning champions hit the end of the road, setting the stage for a new rivalry in a PBA finals.

Talk n Text arranged a first-ever title showdown with Alaska Milk as the Pals foiled the Red Bull Barakos' title-retention bid in the 2007 Talk n Text PBA Fiesta Cup.

The Pals rode high on career games of Macmac Cardona and Egay Billones to oust the Barakos, 122-110, in the sixth game of their best-of-seven semifinals showdown at the Araneta Coliseum Sunday night.

Cardona came through with 38 points -- his third career-best output in their last seven games – with
Billones adding also a career-high 18 as the Pals reached the Fiesta Cup finals for the second time the last three years.

The Pals take a shot at a third PBA crown in only their sixth finals appearance in franchise history.
The PLDT ballclub won the 1998 Centennial Cup and the 2003 All-Filipino tourney.

"Losing three key players to the national team, we didn't expect to go this far at the start of the
season. The boys worked hard to make this possible," said coach Derrick Pumaren, who's back in the finals for the first time since guiding the Purefoods Hotdogs to second-place finish in the 2000 All-Filipino.

"Our players who didn't have the opportunity to show their worth before just delivered a message. They showed they have what it takes to lead this team," Pumaren added.

Cardona best fitted the description.

For the nth time in this playoff phase, the former La Salle Archer stood tallest for the team, going
one-of-one from the three-point area, 13-of-16 from the two-point zone and 9-of-13 from the stripe while also collecting six rebounds and six assists along the way.

"It's all because I wanted to win and I wanted our team to make the finals," said Cardona, fast emerging as a strong contender for the Best Player of the Conference award.

Billones proved to be a big help, firing clutch three-pointers that sparked the Pals' decisive run in
the fourth quarter.

By the time Billones left the game on a sixth foul with 2:30 left to play, the Pals had reestablished
control at 111-103.

After Red Bull came within five on three straight charities by Cruz, Don Allado scored on an unmolested layup then Cardona hit two foul shots following a steal off Larry Fonacier as the Pals all but settled the outcome of the game.

Coaches Pumaren and Yeng Guiao had shaken hands at the sideline when a little commotion marred the endgame with J.J. Sullinger figuring in a taunting match with some Red Bull supporters.

Guiao and Sullinger had their own verbal tussle later on.

The proverbial cooler heads intervened and the Pals went on to complete the victory sending them to a first finals showdown with the Aces. (NC)

The scores:

Talk n Text 122 – Cardona 38, Sullinger 25, Billones 18, Carey 11, Belano 11, Washington 8, Allado 8, De Ocampo 3, Santos 0, Fran 0.

Red Bull 110 – Penny 40, Cruz 16, Baguio 15, Fonacier 14, Ybanez 7, Hrabak 5, Najorda 4, Sharma 45, Alvarez 3, Robinson 2, Camaso 0.

Quarterscores: 27-31, 58-61, 90-85, 122-110
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: