Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-05-2007, 02:04 PM   #1
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default laptop or desktop?

Looking to get a computer........should I get a laptop or desktop? Which are the best bargains? What are the pros/cons of each? I have never actually owned my own computer, so I don't know that much about them, since I usually just use my parents'. Advice/suggestions?
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: laptop or desktop?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
Looking to get a computer........should I get a laptop or desktop? Which are the best bargains? What are the pros/cons of each? I have never actually owned my own computer, so I don't know that much about them, since I usually just use my parents'. Advice/suggestions?
What are you using it for?
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #3
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

mlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemlh1981 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

storing music, surfing the web, typing/saving documents. I don't play online games or anything like that
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #4
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Cannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation hereCannonball has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh1981
storing music, surfing the web, typing/saving documents. I don't play online games or anything like that

Desktops are deff. cheaper for the speed you get with them. But its nice to be able to have a laptop. What I do is get a laptop than buy a regular monitor and keyboard and mouse. So if I'm on the go I just use the laptop but at home its nice to have a real setup. Where your fingers fit on the keyboard and mouse and your eyes don't hurt from the little screen.
Old 04-05-2007, 02:39 PM   #5
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

desktops are definitely more bang per buck, but with this era of wireless and so forth a laptop is pretty nice. Think about how you want to use the computer. Are you going to sit at a desk or would you rather be able to use it from your couch, bed, coffeeshop, library, etc. I have a desktop since I am generally deskbound and they are generally way more economical.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:39 PM   #6
Ridlyn
I airball my layups

Ridlyn has an OK reputation so far

I'm partial to desktops. Here's mine.

http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=5151584

I built my own. But you can get something like that at.

http://www.pcclub.com/systems_desktops.cfm

But if your looking into notebooks heres a good place for that.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...ebooks-Laptops

But there's always www.dell.com
Ridlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:51 PM   #7
Cannonball
Lets GO PENS!

Yep newegg.com or tigerdirect.com is the place for computers.
Old 04-05-2007, 03:29 PM   #8
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

Laptops should not be bought if you plan to use it as a desktop substitute. only buy a laptop if you plan on bringing it places or you plan to move around a lot.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:56 PM   #9
Ridlyn
I airball my layups

If you looking for something cheap here's one. All you should have to do is choose a monitor.

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/cfgc2d.asp?v=d
Old 04-05-2007, 06:53 PM   #10
different107
National High School Star

different107 has decent reputation

I like laptops. More mobility, but the cost is higer.
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:21 PM   #11
Ballastic
<////////////}~

Ballastic has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

The main disadvantage about a laptop is that you cant change out any hardware such as hard drive, RAM, video card, sound card, etc. If you do get a laptop, get one with big hard drive for all your music, at least 80 GB, or you could always buy an external HD. They now have hard drives in the TB (terabytes) capacity, which is equavalent to 1000 GB.
Ballastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:35 PM   #12
Ridlyn
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballastic
The main disadvantage about a laptop is that you cant change out any hardware such as hard drive, RAM, video card, sound card, etc. If you do get a laptop, get one with big hard drive for all your music, at least 80 GB, or you could always buy an external HD. They now have hard drives in the TB (terabytes) capacity, which is equavalent to 1000 GB.

Well you can it's just a lot harder too get to and it's going to be more expensive. Most laptops can switch out Hard drive and RAM that's it. Here's a good laptop with a lot of storage yet still will be fast.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834115359

Comes with Microsoft Vista Preloaded too.
Old 04-05-2007, 10:40 PM   #13
Ballastic
<////////////}~

Ballastic has an OK reputation so far

Anyone using the new OS Vista yet? Is it worth upgrading from XP? I personally think XP is a great OS already
Ballastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 11:47 AM   #14
Ridlyn
I airball my layups

Really the only difference is that Vista looks alot better than XP. Basically nothing else unless you play games. Because Microsoft made a new rendering method for it (DX 10) makes games look amazing.

Here's a video of one of the games coming out using DX 10.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nzMdPwO2Qw
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: