Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-05-2007, 07:46 PM   #1
Glove_20
The Expert

Glove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat cool
Default Why do you guys think god exists?

I know there is another thread on this. But I am curious why you think god exists?

Heres what I think. And I am pretty sure its the truth. Not too old and part of the "scientific era"

I think all religons are false and based on hope/interpertations.

For example, Christianity, believes in creationism. But scientifically its been proven false over and over again. In a debate vs. Evolution and Creationism, Evolution always has much stronger evidence, and all Creatonism has his "belief". I mean people just believe it, thats it. I can try to make my self believe Nash is a better defender than Ben Wallace, but all evidence goes to Ben Wallace. And in real life, Ben Wallace is a better defender. "Belief" is all Creationsim has, and thast weak

I don't think any religon is true. And to further prove that is there are so many different religons with so many different believes. WHY? I think its a case of "Interpretations". Different people interpreted it differently. Thats all it was, and eventually peole started following it, passing it on and so on.

Back like when religons were starting, people had a STRONG reason to believe in them. "HOPE". Afterlife. Back then, everyone used to struggle. Life was bad. It wasn't good at all. Eveyone needed some "hope". Religon came in. It was the "hope" in everyone's life. It made "hope" that there is afterlife too, and EVERYONE WANTED TO HOPE. Why woulnd't they. their life sucked, and this passed on and on

I am not sure on god...I think there is a god. But sometimes I think there isn't. Logic says there isn't, but I still think there might be one. Not sure at all on that one. But I can pretty easily make a great argument there isn't one. And god is just based on "hope".

Can anyone tell me why they think there is a god? Like besides what their religon "tells" them. I mean anyone can tell you anything. It all comes down to what you are told to "believe". I mean, you can answer every question without using god
Glove_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:49 PM   #2
different107
National High School Star

different107 has decent reputation
Default Re: Why do you guys think god exists?

Look around. Not all of this happended by chance.
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #3
The_Masterplan
Banned

The_Masterplan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by different107

agreed. im not christian or anything but did you know if gravity was off one bit we would all combust?
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:56 PM   #4
Glove_20
The Expert

Glove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by different107
Why not? Do you have any idea how big the universe? I mean it could infinietly big...

Have you ever heard of the comparisions on how big our universe? I think a galaxy = 1 atom or something. There are some crazy comparisions. But its just unthinkable how big the universe is

And with it being so big, there has to be some places where life came to be. PURE CHANCE. Chances of life probably went over and over again, and life actually happened here.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:58 PM   #5
Glove_20
The Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Masterplan
agreed. im not christian or anything but did you know if gravity was off one bit we would all combust?
You all are underesimating the size of the universe. IT is way to big to imagine. And life had a chance to start infinitely different amounts of times.

And plus, not all forms of lifes (ones we haven't heard of) have to have the settings we have. I mean the Universe is gigantic. Millions of light years away (which someone shouldn't even try to imagine how far away that is, because it is VERY VERY VERY far away) life probably is TOTALLY different, and their setting are just perfect too. Life isn't everywhere, not in our solar system, but come on, the Universe is TOOOOO BIG to say we got "perfect" settings
Old 04-05-2007, 07:59 PM   #6
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

There is no doubt in my mind that He exists.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:00 PM   #7
Glove_20
The Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
There is no doubt in my mind that He exists.
See thats what I am talking about

Its all just a belief

Someone can belive Nash is a better defender than Ben Wallace. Evidence points towards Ben Wallace being a better defender..

In real life, Ben Wallace is a better defender. God might not exist

You can answer ANY quesiton about life without using God
Old 04-05-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

At some point fact runs out and faith begins.

As for creation. The Big Bang? What set that in motion? You expect me to believe it just went "bang" and then it was all here? I don't think so. You gotta keep looking back. Where did space come from? Space doesn't just "exist." There has to be something behind it. Molecules, where did they come from?

But mainly, why do I think God exists? Because it's how I was raised and it's what I want to believe. No amount of fact or evidence could ever sway my opinion, not that any amount of fact can explain everything on this earth.

The tough questions begin when we start asking why God allowed these huge wars and purges to happen. That one...well...I really don't know. But there have been times in my life, quite often, where I've prayed, and felt more confident or less fearful because of it. So whether he exists or not is moot, for now at least, because the theory of it is comforting to millions of people worldwide.

Last edited by johndeeregreen : 04-05-2007 at 08:06 PM.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:05 PM   #9
Glove_20
The Expert

Every question in the world about God can be answered. And it all has to do with the size of the universe. Thats something most people haven't gotten down. The Size of the Universe
Old 04-05-2007, 08:07 PM   #10
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

Compelling argument.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:09 PM   #11
Glove_20
The Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
Compelling argument.
Tell me 1 place where god comes in.

People just don't realize how big the universe is and how many times life has had a chance to start, and how diffent life could be accross the universe, and how since universe is so big humans are probably and 99.9 repeating not the supreme power
Old 04-05-2007, 08:14 PM   #12
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

Glove_20:
Understand this what you are describing is called faith. You have faith in science. You dont know anything about the universe or science but you have faith in what they say is true. They say the earth is round and they give you some info to why they say so you have faith in it and it becomes real. There is a distinct difference between faith and knowing. We all have faith in something whether you know it or not be it religion or science. You have faith in waking up every morning but you dont know until you do. You dont have mental control of your heart beat pumping blood but you have faith that your internal body functions perform although you cant totally grasp what they do how they do it.

If you really understood the gravity of what your describing you would be suprised your prespective may change. Religion as we call it now has existed for thousands of years... Religion means to bring back into bondage. Now this is a generally accepted word by society to categorize a group of people believing in something.

The concept of God has been on the planet for probably a million years. If you didnt make this tree then someone else did... I didnt make it rain so someone else did... How people categorize these events that they didnt do the concept of God was created. Now all the other colorful fables equated to religion and God totally seperate concept than what this thread means. The concept of evolution is a reactive force in the universe but what was the initiator?
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:18 PM   #13
Glove_20
The Expert

Well religon just tell you to "believe"
Science has evidence behind it.

I would believe "evidence" rather than a belief without any evidence ANY TIME

Like I said. Religon came off Hope. Like used to suck back then. Suffering was all over. Nobody was really happy. Religon brung hope in. People started to have hope in life after religon. EVERONE would want to believe in religon. It gave hope to everyone. And since it did bring hope, everyone belived it. And it kept going.

And if there was 1 religon everyone believed, I would have a easier time believeing too. But we are all human after all, and we all have different interpertations, and different ideas of hope. And everyone has their own religon or "hope".
Old 04-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #14
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

because to some the idea that biotic factors arose spontaneously from abiotic factors is not satisfying
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 08:25 PM   #15
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
Glove_20:
Understand this what you are describing is called faith. You have faith in science. You dont know anything about the universe or science but you have faith in what they say is true. They say the earth is round and they give you some info to why they say so you have faith in it and it becomes real. There is a distinct difference between faith and knowing. We all have faith in something whether you know it or not be it religion or science. You have faith in waking up every morning but you dont know until you do. You dont have mental control of your heart beat pumping blood but you have faith that your internal body functions perform although you cant totally grasp what they do how they do it.

If you really understood the gravity of what your describing you would be suprised your prespective may change. Religion as we call it now has existed for thousands of years... Religion means to bring back into bondage. Now this is a generally accepted word by society to categorize a group of people believing in something.

The concept of God has been on the planet for probably a million years. If you didnt make this tree then someone else did... I didnt make it rain so someone else did... How people categorize these events that they didnt do the concept of God was created. Now all the other colorful fables equated to religion and God totally seperate concept than what this thread means. The concept of evolution is a reactive force in the universe but what was the initiator?

I enjoyed reading that. Very well put.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: