Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #16
Bless Mathews
454 Dumper

Default Re: Wildcard Game Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
We were very close to having a 6-10 team in the post season while an 11-5 team watches from home. To me that is a problem.

If you're under .500, which means you lost the majority of your games, you really shouldn't be in the playoffs IMO.

The last 7-9 division champ, nfc west, beat the defending Super Bowl champions.

Now the nfc west is toughest division in football.

It all balances out. It's not gonna change.

The afc south was terrible too.

Overall the nfc south only had 2 more losses than afc south.

Afc south division lost 39 games. Nfc south lost 41 games.

Colts shouldn't get a home game because they get to pummel the putrid jags and titans 4 times a year????

It balances out. Division games are important. Keep it that way.
Bless Mathews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:17 PM   #17
zoom17
Banned

Bills requested permission to interview Colts offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton. You can take him bills he calls the most predictable plays in the NFL.
zoom17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #18
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
I think the best solution would be to force division winners to be over .500

If the winner of the division is not over .500 then a 3rd wild card team is created and that division gets no playoff team.

So with this year for example Carolina would be out and Philly in...AFC would be unchanged
No, that's absolutely not what i want. You're basically taking a year of divisional games and trashing them. Don't devalue divisional games. Look at the other sports, a divisional game is a horrible thing because it's a team you see more often. You'd have made the teams in that division all start tanking by week 11 when it was clear the winner would be under 500 by removing the possibility of playoffs.

Why remove meaningful games? Philly had every chance to make the playoffs, i don't see the need to remove 5 weeks of real games from a division to ensure a team's back door cover is intact.

Under your system not only would week 10 on of the NFC South have been meaningless, Dallas/Philly deathmatch would have been about seeding. Yawn...
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:31 PM   #19
niko
I Run NY.

Football is basically the only sport left where people care about divisional rivalries. In every other sport it's either pointless, you have maybe one rival that matters at best, or it's the teams you don't want to see because you play them so much it's boring.
Old 01-03-2015, 01:31 PM   #20
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:55 PM   #21
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
No, that's absolutely not what i want. You're basically taking a year of divisional games and trashing them. Don't devalue divisional games. Look at the other sports, a divisional game is a horrible thing because it's a team you see more often. You'd have made the teams in that division all start tanking by week 11 when it was clear the winner would be under 500 by removing the possibility of playoffs.

Why remove meaningful games? Philly had every chance to make the playoffs, i don't see the need to remove 5 weeks of real games from a division to ensure a team's back door cover is intact.

Under your system not only would week 10 on of the NFC South have been meaningless, Dallas/Philly deathmatch would have been about seeding. Yawn...
Then at least force them to hit .500

Week 10 on in the NFCS would still have been important to them, they still could have made it to .500

It's a rare occurrence in the NFL for a sub .500 team to make the post season but when it happens there is always a more deserving team left out.

I promise you had we actually witnessed NFCS sending a 6-10 team and the Eagles miss at 11-5 we would see a rule change of some sort, because that's flawed. 5 wins is enormous in the NFL. Imagine in MLB if a 60-100 team made it over a 110-50 team.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 01:55 PM   #22
ROCSteady
One of One

Quote:
I 100% agree with you on the home field thing. You can't change letting division winners into playoffs no matter the record because then why have divisions and divisional games in football rule. But you can do home field by record. Solves that problem and doesn't kill divisional game importance. It's a simple fix which is why Goodell can't see it. He'd rather just add 12 teams.

Yea it's pretty ass backwards when you think about it.

No way should Charlotte have a home game over how Arizona was playing most of the season until injuries killed em.

But thems be the breaks
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:58 PM   #23
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Then at least force them to hit .500

Week 10 on in the NFCS would still have been important to them, they still could have made it to .500

It's a rare occurrence in the NFL for a sub .500 team to make the post season but when it happens there is always a more deserving team left out.

I promise you had we actually witnessed NFCS sending a 6-10 team and the Eagles miss at 11-5 we would see a rule change of some sort, because that's flawed. 5 wins is enormous in the NFL. Imagine in MLB if a 60-100 team made it over a 110-50 team.
There was no chance of a team in the south making it to 500 the way they were playing once it hit week 11. Want to make it week 13? So four weeks of shit football that means nothing? Let's note that the 7-9 team is BETTER than the 11-5 team right now it looks like. Should we remove Arizona? Because they have no chance.

Watering down divisional games is a stupid idea, it's one of the things that works and has always worked perfectly.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:17 PM   #24
ROCSteady
One of One

http://freshcutroc.wordpress.com

CIN at IND preview is up. Had to take a couple shots at Dalton for my man mlh.

Should have DET at DAL little preview shortly
ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:17 PM   #25
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
There was no chance of a team in the south making it to 500 the way they were playing once it hit week 11. Want to make it week 13? So four weeks of shit football that means nothing? Let's note that the 7-9 team is BETTER than the 11-5 team right now it looks like. Should we remove Arizona? Because they have no chance.

Watering down divisional games is a stupid idea, it's one of the things that works and has always worked perfectly.
But now the playoffs are "watered down"

And it really wouldn't water the divisional games down anyway imo... No one has cared about the NFCS this year regardless.

The Dallas Philly game would still have been very meaningful.

I'm fine with letting "average" division winners in but letting flat out shitty teams in is another story.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #26
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Carolina Pitt Colts Lions
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:34 PM   #27
TheSilentKiller
NBA Legend

Quote:
But now the playoffs are "watered down"

And it really wouldn't water the divisional games down anyway imo... No one has cared about the NFCS this year regardless.

The Dallas Philly game would still have been very meaningful.

I'm fine with letting "average" division winners in but letting flat out shitty teams in is another story.
I get what you're saying.. but everybody had a chance to get in. Every game in the NFL matters and any team not in the playoffs doesn't deserve to be there.
TheSilentKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:43 PM   #28
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
I get what you're saying.. but everybody had a chance to get in. Every game in the NFL matters and any team not in the playoffs doesn't deserve to be there.
The Panthers don't deserve to be in there either though IMO... They got in by virtue of shitty division.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:45 PM   #29
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Really the rule I'm talking about would have only effected a few years in my lifetime. It's very rare for a sub .500 team to get in.

It's not like implementing this rule would suddenly kill all division games
Old 01-03-2015, 03:53 PM   #30
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
We were very close to having a 6-10 team in the post season while an 11-5 team watches from home. To me that is a problem.

If you're under .500, which means you lost the majority of your games, you really shouldn't be in the playoffs IMO.

i agree 100%

the only way a sub 500 team makes the playoffs is if the rest of their division is even worse than they are, so not only are these sub 500 playoff teams finishing the season with a losing record, but they have a losing record in spite of playing all 6 division games against other losing teams.

if an entire division is so bad that not one team can even break even, that division does not deserve to play in the playoffs.
Nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: