Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-09-2007, 04:10 PM   #16
PureElement
Local High School Star

PureElement has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Imagining the Tenth Dimension

Quote:
1. gravity is not a theory...what do yuo mean the "theory of gravity"?

You can consider it a theory because we still have no clue as to the reason why gravity exist. We know most of its properties but we still don't understand it at the very fundamental level. Once you get to higher physics you learn of things like neutrinos, leptons, quarks etc. You also learn of things like messenger particles (for example photon is a messenger particle for electromagnetic forces). However, a lot of physicists believe that gravity must also have such a particle but we haven't discovered it yet.

And as for 4th dimension. If you understood the video, they talk about how the 4th dimension is not a physical shape. But rather all the third dimensions possible imagined as a dot. Like put our entire universe at ONE INSTANCE in time and then imagine it as if its a dot. Then you connect this dot with our universe in another instance in time. This connect line is a "time line", which is how we can imagine the 4th dimension.
PureElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:12 PM   #17
Glove_20
The Expert

Glove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
yes it is....you just made this theory of shapes being higher than 3 dimensional up....please show me any theroy of a shape being higher than 3D please...

give me a link were anyone other than yourself has a theory of shapes existing in a 5 or 6 dimensional world...

shapes = 3D

now in theory other 3 dimensional shapes can exist in co-existing dimensions....but they are still 3D...

anyway...show me this theory of a 8 dimensional shape that we can't see...please

I didn't look up some theory and said this. Are imination is limited. Some things we can't even imagine, but we know they exist.
Glove_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:19 PM   #18
-primetime-

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureElement
You can consider it a theory because we still have no clue as to the reason why gravity exist. We know most of its properties but we still don't understand it at the very fundamental level. Once you get to higher physics you learn of things like neutrinos, leptons, quarks etc. You also learn of things like messenger particles (for example photon is a messenger particle for electromagnetic forces). However, a lot of physicists believe that gravity must also have such a particle but we haven't discovered it yet.

And as for 4th dimension. If you understood the video, they talk about how the 4th dimension is not a physical shape. But rather all the third dimensions possible imagined as a dot. Like put our entire universe at ONE INSTANCE in time and then imagine it as if its a dot. Then you connect this dot with our universe in another instance in time. This connect line is a "time line", which is how we can imagine the 4th dimension.

agreed...except we know that gravity exists so it is not comparable to a 6D shape...

actually according to that video there are 10 dimenstions...9 of them are spacial and one is time...

some theories have time as the first dimensions and some have it at the last...

some string theories have 11 dimensions and some have 12...

in what I have read on the subject of string theory is that all the math makes sense for it to exist except for the "big bang"...the moment when time started...they can't put together how everything started out to be...
Old 04-12-2007, 06:35 AM   #19
Jabes
Banned

Jabes has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by -primetime-
1. gravity is not a theory...what do yuo mean the "theory of gravity"?
It most certainly is. We observe physical phenomena such as a rock falling towards the earth, or the earths rotation around the sun, and use gravity to explain such phenomena, whether we use Newton's theory of universal gravity or Einstein's theory of general relativity.

Quote:
2. I am not putting blind faith into string theory or any thing that is not yet a scientific law...
So you understand the physics and mathematics behind string theory? ...please .

Quote:
3. If you think I have very little understanding of the basic principles of science you are very wrong...I have studied plenty on the subject matter...
But somehow in your studies you never learned what a scientific theory is, or the importance of a credible source? When I say study I mean something along the lines of taking university level courses, reading the actual theory not just some guys off the wall interpretation you find on the net or some pop sci books written for the layman.

Quote:
4. please show me any scientific proof or even a theory where an inifinate amount of dimentonal shapes exits....please let me know how a 6 dimenstional shape exits...you can't because it is impossible...
How about string theory you knucklehead, look up D-brane. Or how about you google manifold, topology, n-dimensional geometry, hilbert space. Since you specifically mentioned 6 dimensions you should look up Calabai-Yau manifold as well.

Can you prove a six dimensional object doesn't exist? It is a very bold statement to say something doesn't exist based only on common sense. Common sense can be misleading, which is why we have science.

But this is all really beside the point, I'm not here to discuss physics. The reason I posted in this garbage thread to begin with was just to point out that what your basing your knowledge on (in the link you posted), is not even science. It's some guy's interpretation of science, and the guy doesn't even have any credentials - he's not a scientist and has never studied physics. There are a lot of cranks out their who come up with their own crackpot ideas, are you going to believe everyone of them that has a website? I don't know a whole lot about biological evolution, but I could write a book about it and create a website. Would that make what I say scientifically correct? No.

If you really want to know something about string theory and modern developments on a non-technical level, check out The Elegant Universe or The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene, Hyperspace or Parallel Universes by Michio Kaku, or Warped Passages by Lisa Randall.

Last edited by Jabes : 04-12-2007 at 06:42 AM.
Jabes is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: