Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 04-15-2007, 05:46 AM   #1
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Jarry Stackhouse, Jackie Robinson and the NBA

Quote:
From dfw.com
Art Garcia blog.

Quote:April 14, 2007
NBA shoots down Stack’s request to honor Jackie Robinson

Jerry Stackhouse knows the significance of No. 42. Jackie Robinson, the man who broke baseball’s color barrier, is being honored Sunday across the Majors with players, and some entire teams, wearing that special number.

“I just listened to his stories over the last two weeks and I just think what he was able to bear and go through is the reason why black athletes and minority athletes are able to be in the position that we are today,” Stack said.

Stack wanted to be part of the tribute during Sunday’s nationally televised Mavs-Spurs game on ABC, but the NBA’s bureaucracy apparently said no way.

“I tried to reach out to the league and use ‘Robinson’ on the back of my jersey,” Stack said. “They turned me down, but I'm still going to try to do something to commemorate him.”

Stackhouse doesn’t understand why, though he still might write something on his sneakers. The impact of Jackie Robinson goes far beyond baseball.

“It transcended all the sports,” Stack said. “I think we should all pay homage to a guy like that. I learned that he had another passion, he fought with diabetes and that's really close to my foundation and my family.”

Stack is 100 percent right. The league is 100 percent wrong. The NBA’s control over baggy shorts, socks and after-game attire –- as petty as that may appear to some -- is one thing I’m not going to argue with.

Not allowing Stackhouse to honor one of his heroes on a day he’s being honored across the country with something as benign as the name on the back of his jersey just doesn’t make sense. The league should reconsider right now. Jackie Robinson is an American hero. Not just a baseball one.

-- Art

stolen from here.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: