Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-08-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
fatlever
Banned

fatlever has an OK reputation so far
Default OT: When It Comes To Race, Why Are Whites Quick To Use The "Double Standard" Excuse?

This has been on my mind for ages. I've seen it displayed on this board countless times and I just saw it showcases to a rather large degree on ESPN's board regarding the remarks made on "Imus In The Morning" show about the Rutgers women's basketball team.

Now even though I don't agree with the raw principles of the double standard excuse, I will admit I'm still trying to find the definitive argument that intellectually counters that argument. Besides the fact I know using the double standard term is arguing in the alternative and is essentially a self-defense mechanism to deflect from the original issue to begin with, what type of compelling thesis can be made to convince the double standard user that they're wrong? Yeah, I'm still searching for that.

At this point, my best argument is that the double standard excuse is one of self-defense. And, IMO, no real issue or debate can be settled through retreat or lack of offensive principles.

I don't know, but I will ask each person that reads this thread to take a legitimate and sincere look within themselves and tell me with a straight face that I'm wrong about the concept of this thread.

*edit*

On the ESPN board, it became not an issue of whether or not Imus's remarks were offensive and wrong, but more to do with the fact blacks are able to publicly make insensitive remarks against their own race...so why make a bigger deal out of it when people like Imus do the same thing?

Last edited by fatlever : 04-08-2007 at 12:17 PM.
fatlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:03 PM   #2
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: OT: When It Comes To Race, Why Are Whites Quick To Use The "Double Standard" Excuse?

this thread will be 50 pages of BS unrelated to bball
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:05 PM   #3
kumquat
College superstar

kumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat coolkumquat is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: OT: When It Comes To Race, Why Are Whites Quick To Use The "Double Standard" Excu

wha?

you're going to need to go into a bit more background of what happened so i know what the hell you're talking about. What are the specifics of the double standards your talking about?
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:07 PM   #4
KINGofTHEcourt
Banned

KINGofTHEcourt has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: OT: When It Comes To Race, Why Are Whites Quick To Use The "Double Standard" Excu

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumquat
wha?

you're going to need to go into a bit more background of what happened so i know what the hell you're talking about. What are the specifics of the double standards your talking about?
Exactly. WTF are you talking about? Double standard in relation to what?
KINGofTHEcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:07 PM   #5
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah i have no idea what you're talking about. Explain please
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:08 PM   #6
ronron15
High School Starter

ronron15 is considered somewhat coolronron15 is considered somewhat cool

pleese be more specific
ronron15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:08 PM   #7
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

bleedinpurple has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlever
This has been on my mind for ages. I've seen it displayed on this board countless times and I just saw it showcases to a rather large degree on ESPN's board regarding the remarks made on "Imus In The Morning" show about the Rutgers women's basketball team.

Now even though I don't agree with the raw principles of the double standard excuse, I will admit I'm still trying to find the definitive argument that intellectually counters that argument. Besides the fact I know using the double standard term is arguing in the alternative and is essentially a self-defense mechanism to deflect from the original issue to begin with, what type of compelling thesis can be made to convince the double standard user that they're wrong? Yeah, I'm still searching for that.

At this point, my best argument is that the double standard excuse is one of self-defense. And, IMO, no real issue or debate can be settled through retreat or lack of offensive principles.

I don't know, but I will ask each person that reads this thread to take a legitimate and sincere look within themselves and tell me with a straight face that I'm wrong about the concept of this thread.

you need to explain what the ______ you are talking about. be more definitive re: "double standard"
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:11 PM   #8
Voice of Reason
Local High School Star

Voice of Reason has not been impressing people
Default Re: OT: When It Comes To Race, Why Are Whites Quick To Use The "Double Standard" Excuse?

Its PleaseBelieve fellas...what do you expect from him?
Voice of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:12 PM   #9
ronron15
High School Starter

ronron15 is considered somewhat coolronron15 is considered somewhat cool

double standard in what area though??

in what field you're talkin about???

cause arguments for this act varies in different fields, it can be justifiable as well as bogus
ronron15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:18 PM   #10
fatlever
Banned

Old 04-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #11
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Is the TMNT movie any good? I'm thinking about taking my little brother to see it.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:22 PM   #12
Voice of Reason
Local High School Star

Voice of Reason has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Is the TMNT movie any good? I'm thinking about taking my little brother to see it.

He'll enjoy it, you wont. It has a Toy Story kind of feel.
Voice of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:25 PM   #13
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

You dumbass he was being prejudicial towards females. It's not about race, it's about gender.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:29 PM   #14
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I took a shower after waking up, but forgot to scrub my balls. However, this thread makes me feel a whole lot dirtier than any smelly genitals can.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #15
fatlever
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
You dumbass he was being prejudicial towards females. It's not about race, it's about gender.
8 of the 12 girls are black. Plus he was using slang staright out of Spike lee's movies. Put it together, genius.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: