Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-08-2007, 12:35 PM   #16
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Da KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputationDa KO King has a terrific reputation
Default Re: OT: When It Comes To Race, Why Are Whites Quick To Use The "Double Standard" Excu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Is the TMNT movie any good? I'm thinking about taking my little brother to see it.
Took my son last night. It was cool. Unlike the past movies in this one the tension between Raf and Leo is not a background understated thing. They put it on front street in this one. All in all its pretty good.

I'll probably take him to see Meet the Robinsons either tomorrow or Tuesday.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:48 PM   #17
poorlilrich
woop woop

poorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this board
Default Re: OT: When It Comes To Race, Why Are Whites Quick To Use The "Double Standard" Excu

White people never like to see their fellow brethren in trouble. When ever a white person says something racist towards afro-americans or others of african descendent, the white dudes always say "The black folks have been degrading themselves for ever; they have probably heard the term used before ... the dude (white guy) has a fiery personality and probably didn't mean what he said."

I think that is what he meant and I wholeheartedly agree with the statement.
poorlilrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 01:55 PM   #18
Amigo
Knicks Fan 4 Life

Amigo has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: OT: When It Comes To Race, Why Are Whites Quick To Use The "Double Standard" Excuse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
this thread will be 50 pages of BS unrelated to bball

True. It'll be nonsensical BS. People that have no idea what he's talking about will be have of it. Asking to clarify and he's going to try and seem eloquent about it. I'll make sure to not click this topic again.
Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 02:02 PM   #19
Snow
I hit open layups

Snow has an OK reputation so far

Lots of double standards these days with race. It's ok for blacks to make statements about whites, where if the exact opposite was said, it would be deemed 100% racist. Even Jim Rome who is the furthest thing from racist, and extremely careful about saying anything unPC, says there is a double standard. It's also ok for blacks to use segregation in the form of race exclusive clubs and groups, whites could never get away with this. But with the way our past relatives treated African Americans, there is a guilt factor and it is tolerated. Rightly or wrongly, nothing comes close to the guilt The States feel about Native Americans though.

Last edited by Snow : 04-08-2007 at 02:10 PM.
Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #20
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

bleedinpurple has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow
Lots of double standards these days with race. It's ok for blacks to make statements about whites, where if the exact opposite was said, it would be deemed 100% racist. Even Jim Rome who is the furthest thing from racist, and extremely careful about saying anything unPC, says there is a double standard. It's also ok for blacks to use segregation in the form of race exclusive clubs and groups, whites could never get away with this. But with the way our past relatives treated African Americans, there is a guilt factor and it is tolerated. Rightly or wrongly, nothing comes close to the guilt The States feel about Native Americans though.

very true. Remember that terrible movie called, i think, White Girls, where two black guys dressed-up as white girls? lot's of sterotyping in that movie.
What would have been the backlash if two white guys did a movie called Black Girls (first of all, it never would have made it to the theaters)?
bleedinpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #21
Voice of Reason
Local High School Star

Voice of Reason has not been impressing people
Default Re: OT: When It Comes To Race, Why Are Whites Quick To Use The "Double Standard" Excuse?

Quote:
It's also ok for blacks to use segregation in the form of race exclusive clubs and groups, whites could never get away with this

You cant be serious. White get away with it then and now!

Quote:
What would have been the backlash if two white guys did a movie called Black Girls (first of all, it never would have made it to the theaters)?

Translation : not fair blacks are held to a different standard than whites.
Voice of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:41 PM   #22
ZHAKIDD532
#hellobrooklyn

ZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat coolZHAKIDD532 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlever
8 of the 12 girls are black. Plus he was using slang staright out of Spike lee's movies. Put it together, genius.
he repeatedly called them names used for women, not black ppl. The fact that 2/3 of the team was black meant nothing
ZHAKIDD532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 03:44 PM   #23
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice of Reason

Translation : not fair blacks are held to a different standard than whites.

no, simply that double standards do exist...and it goes both ways.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:54 PM   #24
Snow
I hit open layups

Quote:
You cant be serious. White get away with it then and now!

Thanks for proving my point, when blacks segregate, people don't say they are "get(ting) away with it". Go ahead, name an organization that is accepted by the general populace that labels it self by the white race, and I can name maybe a 100, maybe 1000, maybe even 10,000 black organizations for white group you can name. All I have to do is look through the "Black Pages".

Like I said there is the guilt factor in America because of slavery, but that won't last forever. Pretty soon America will become more like Europe and all people will be held to the same standard more or less.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:54 PM   #25
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

I always found it kind of hypocritical that ESPN fired Rush Limbaugh (a man I despise) for saying the Eagles QB McNabb was overrated because he was black. Meanwhile, Scoop Jackson writes a hundred articles that basically say Steve Nash is overrated because he's white.
reppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:02 PM   #26
0ne50
Local High School Star

0ne50 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlever
This has been on my mind for ages. I've seen it displayed on this board countless times and I just saw it showcases to a rather large degree on ESPN's board regarding the remarks made on "Imus In The Morning" show about the Rutgers women's basketball team.

Now even though I don't agree with the raw principles of the double standard excuse, I will admit I'm still trying to find the definitive argument that intellectually counters that argument. Besides the fact I know using the double standard term is arguing in the alternative and is essentially a self-defense mechanism to deflect from the original issue to begin with, what type of compelling thesis can be made to convince the double standard user that they're wrong? Yeah, I'm still searching for that.

At this point, my best argument is that the double standard excuse is one of self-defense. And, IMO, no real issue or debate can be settled through retreat or lack of offensive principles.

I don't know, but I will ask each person that reads this thread to take a legitimate and sincere look within themselves and tell me with a straight face that I'm wrong about the concept of this thread.

*edit*

On the ESPN board, it became not an issue of whether or not Imus's remarks were offensive and wrong, but more to do with the fact blacks are able to publicly make insensitive remarks against their own race...so why make a bigger deal out of it when people like Imus do the same thing?
It's because white (racist) people want everyone else to beleve that racism is a thing of the past and that only other races are racist now.

Sort of like how everyone in this thread are pretending like they don't know what you are talking about.

About blacks doing it to each other. Which is not right but here's the issue. Entertainers like comics, actors, and rappers use it artistically in there scripts or lyrics to tell a story. Other that using it for those purposes it's totally wrong, no matter what's your race black included.

I'm starting to think that the internet was invented for racists cowards to get stuff off of thier chest without the risk of getting rocked to sleep.

I hope MSNBC Dateline comes out with a show called To catch an internet tough guy. I could just see it, Chris Henson finds the location of racist net-thugs and brings a gang of brothers with him. Then he knocks on the door and shows the chump a transcipt of his racist comments. The angry brothers wait in the bushes for the Klu Klux Keyboard member to come outside and kick his punk ass! That would be dope.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:04 PM   #27
Snow
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
I always found it kind of hypocritical that ESPN fired Rush Limbaugh (a man I despise) for saying the Eagles QB McNabb was overrated because he was black. Meanwhile, Scoop Jackson writes a hundred articles that basically say Steve Nash is overrated because he's white.

True, but Rush Limbaugh caters to a 95% white audience and was already seen as a racially insensitive person while Scoop Jackson has a very diverse readership and does not have a history of dividing peoples. I had no problem with Rush being let go, I guarantee you he would have had a fit if a black commentator said the same thing about a white player.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:05 PM   #28
Voice of Reason
Local High School Star

Voice of Reason has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy

One is a sportswriter without a negative rep. That was easy.
Voice of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 04:07 PM   #29
bleedinpurple
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ne50
It's because white (racist) people want everyone else to beleve that racism is a thing of the past and that only other races are racist now.

Sort of like how everyone in this thread are pretending like they don't know what you are talking about.

About blacks doing it to each other. Which is not right but here's the issue. Entertainers like comics, actors, and rappers use it artistically in there scripts or lyrics to tell a story. Other that using it for those purposes it's totally wrong, no matter what's your race black included.

I'm starting to think that the internet was invented for racists cowards to get stuff off of thier chest without the risk of getting rocked to sleep.

I hope MSNBC Dateline comes out with a show called To catch an internet tough guy. I could just see it, Chris Henson finds the location of racist net-thugs and brings a gang of brothers with him. Then he knocks on the door and shows the chump a transcipt of his racist comments. The angry brothers wait in the bushes for the Klu Klux Keyboard member to come outside and kick his punk ass! That would be dope.

you could make millions with that show! you should pitch it to the right people.
Old 04-08-2007, 04:16 PM   #30
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
One is a sportswriter without a negative rep. That was easy.

I see. So you're saying it's OK to make racially charged comments as long as you don't have a bad reputation? Fair enough.:rollingeyes:
reppy is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: