Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 04-09-2007, 06:34 PM   #1
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Default Julian Wright to shake Mr. Stern's hand

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2...ory?id=2831190

The lesson, as always...quit believing what high school and college athletes tell you about their future plans. They'll say anything when a microphone is shoved in their face. Don't believe it until they sign the LOI, until the draft deadline passes, etc.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:42 PM   #2
ThaKing
Decent playground baller

Default Re: Julian Wright to shake Mr. Stern's hand

It's sad that you had to rush on here and make this post, that is directed towards me. Oh well, its nice having one Mcdonalds AA leave and having one to replace him in the starting lineup. Good luck Julian, work on that jumper.
ThaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #3
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

Yes!!!
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:29 AM   #4
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaKing
It's sad that you had to rush on here and make this post, that is directed towards me. Oh well, its nice having one Mcdonalds AA leave and having one to replace him in the starting lineup. Good luck Julian, work on that jumper.
Maybe if you keep stockpiling a whole roster of them, you'll finally get back to the Final Four.

And what makes you think it's directed at you?

Because you're a Kansas fan? Because you think I don't like you (which is false, I couldn't care less one way or the other)? C'mon now, thinking awfully highly of ourselves here, aren't we?. The thread was because one of the best players in the nation is coming out, when he had previously said he'd go back to school.

The message of not believing what players say was directed, honestly, at myself. Or did you forget about the lying douche headed to Bloomington in the fall?
Old 04-10-2007, 09:01 AM   #5
ThaKing
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
Maybe if you keep stockpiling a whole roster of them, you'll finally get back to the Final Four.

And what makes you think it's directed at you?

Because you're a Kansas fan? Because you think I don't like you (which is false, I couldn't care less one way or the other)? C'mon now, thinking awfully highly of ourselves here, aren't we?. The thread was because one of the best players in the nation is coming out, when he had previously said he'd go back to school.

The message of not believing what players say was directed, honestly, at myself. Or did you forget about the lying douche headed to Bloomington in the fall?

1) Your d@mn right I think pretty highly of myself.

2) You have no room to talk about final fours with the team Bruce is fielding at Illinois. NCAA tourny bids are apparently now a successful season.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:02 AM   #6
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

I think Julian will be fine in the league. He needs to work on his jumper though big time. His defense, Shot blocking and athleticism will hold his own.

Tyrus Thomas or Julian Wright?
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:50 AM   #7
ThaKing
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNdLe ThE RoCk
I think Julian will be fine in the league. He needs to work on his jumper though big time. His defense, Shot blocking and athleticism will hold his own.

Tyrus Thomas or Julian Wright?

Thats a good question. Ive never been a big fan of Tyrus Thomas. He relied on his freakish athleticsim and LSU's deep tourny run to make him a lottery pick. They have alot of similarities. I'll give the advantage to Tyrus in shot blocking, but Julian is clearly a better ball handler, with good passing skills and excellent court vision.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:57 PM   #8
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Weber's the one that's actually BEEN to a Final Four, but I have no room to talk about them?

Whatever.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:17 AM   #9
tmacman
Good High School Starter

Crazy dunk by Mr.Wright

A Windmill
tmacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:17 AM   #10
ThaKing
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGame414
Weber's the one that's actually BEEN to a Final Four, but I have no room to talk about them?

Whatever.

I don't really wanna go around and around with you again about Bruce Weber vs. Bill Self. But ok, I guess my point was at least Bill has put KU in a position to go to the final four every single year. There is alot of skill involved in that and a little luck too. Bruce went to one Final Four with 3 future NBA players that Bill left him. It's quite impressive what he is doing with his own recruits though...
Old 04-11-2007, 01:27 PM   #11
skan72
Deep dick pizza

Bill Self is a very good coach. SI.com did a top 10 coaches and Self didn't make the top 10, but he was on the just missed list with a couple others. But they don't mention Weber anywhere on there as being a top coach.
skan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:30 PM   #12
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

So if SI.com says it, it must be true?

Lists like that by reactionary dumbass internet journalists are almost always based on the here and now. Two years ago, with Weber winning every national coach of the year award known to man, you think he might've been on it? Me, too.

Depending on how you define who the best coach is, you could name anywhere from 10 to 20 that you'd put ahead of Weber. Or, if you simply define it by who will get the most out of their players if all things are equal between two teams, you could say that Weber is second to none. I have a hard time imagining that a hastily done SI.com fluff piece had any sort of consistent criterion that they used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaKing
I don't really wanna go around and around with you again about Bruce Weber vs. Bill Self. But ok, I guess my point was at least Bill has put KU in a position to go to the final four every single year. There is alot of skill involved in that and a little luck too. Bruce went to one Final Four with 3 future NBA players that Bill left him. It's quite impressive what he is doing with his own recruits though...
I didn't want to go around and around on Weber v. Self, either. If you didn't want to, I'm curious as to why you brought it up, but again...whatever.

As far as leaving Weber three future NBA players, I've said it before....you take a good, hard look at Self's track record of player development and X's-and-O's acumen and honestly tell me that those guys would have turned out the way they did if Self had stayed. They'd have been pretty much the same team in 2005 as they were in 2004, instead of making the leap from good to unreal.

As far as what he's done with his guys, if you can find me a coach that could have done any better with the ****storm of injuries and off the court problems that Illinois had this season, you let me know, because I'm pretty sure no such guy exists.

And, since I said nothing about Self in the first place, meaning I'm the one who actually didn't want any part of this warmed over, pointless argument, that's the last I have to say on the matter.

Last edited by TheGame414 : 04-11-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:13 PM   #13
ThaKing
Decent playground baller

Getting the most out of their players? Weren't Rich McBride and Brian Randle supposed to be a hell of alot better than what they are? Illini fans, at one point, were suggesting Randle might leave after his junior year for the NBA. I even saw his name on some mock drafts awhile back. Obviously way before this season started.

I guess you can use injuries and irresponsible players as an excuse this year, but whats the excuse next year? Do you foresee next years team being any better? It seems to me like their a borderline tournament team at best.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:24 PM   #14
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

Well, Christ, if you really want me to launch into another Illinois basketball manifesto...

McBride was overrated coming out of high school, a guy who physically developed really early and got everyone too excited about potential he never actually had; he was unathletic, hindered by foot problems, and one-dimensional as a college player. Randle's never been fully healthy. Besides, no one ever said that Weber took something out of nothing with Dee, Deron and Luther. He took something very good and turned it into something special. There's a difference.

There's differences between "excuses" and "legit reasons." I think 72 games missed by rotation guys (including would've-been rotation guy Rich Semrau), not to mention guys like Brian Randle, Chester Frazier and Jamar Smith playing at considerably less than 100% when they were on the court certainly counts as the latter, even before you consider how off-the-court happenings affected the team. I think it's more than reasonable to assume that at something close to full strength, a regular season record in the vicinity of 24-7 (11-5) would have been entirely realistic, not to mention a better postseason showing.

As far as next year, there's a lot of uncertainty. I think we could be anywhere from the bubble again to top three in the Big Ten/top 20 nationally. Jamar Smith's status needs to be determined. Rodney Alexander (juco forward from Oklahoma) is apparently deciding between us and Tennessee, and adding him would significantly strengthen the forward spot vacated by Warren Carter. How much Calvin Brock improves is an X-factor. The health of Brian Randle and Rich Semrau is uncertain. I think it's safe to assume Demetri McCamey and Quenton Watkins will be a part of the rotation right away, but how ready they are to make an immediate impact is to be seen. How ready Shaun Pruitt is to be a full-time first option remains to be seen.

So it's too early to tell.

My take?

The staff is talking about Jamar as if he's going to be a part of next year's team. Hope that's true, and if it is, I'm betting we see the Jamar that lit it up when healthy in nonconference play, not the one that was limping around after reinjuring himself and couldn't get a good shot off in Big Ten play.

I think McCamey's ballhandling, strength and penetrating ability, and Watkins' slashing, athleticism and scoring ability will strengthen the backcourt quite a bit, and ease the load on Chester Frazier. (I also think that those two will be an outstanding backcourt by the time they're upperclassmen, but we're talking about next year for now.)

I think Calvin Brock continues to improve to the point where he could be a starter, with Randle moving to the 4 (where he's probably best off).

I think Pruitt will probably still continue to struggle with double teams- he's just not a strong passer or ballhandler- but nonetheless will be the best low-post scorer in the conference.

I think, unfortunately, it's probably unrealistic to think Randle or Frazier will ever be totally healthy. Frazier plays way too hard and Randle's way too fragile. Nonetheless, it's hard to imagine either will be as hobbled as they were this year.

I think Cole and Tisdale are going to be nice players long-term (Tisdale has NBA potential if he can get near 250 pounds), but probably aren't physically ready to help as true freshmen.

We know that as long as Weber is the coach, Illinois will play terrific defense and no matter how much recruiting struggles, that alone will always keep us competitive in the Big Ten and in line for a tourney bid. Whether we get back to contending nationally, be it next year, two years from now, or when Jereme Richmond is in an Illinois uniform, will hinge on becoming offensively potent again. Weber needs to convince recruits that he wants to play up-tempo, exciting offensive basketball, that what they saw from Illinois this season was an anomaly because we simply didn't have the weapons, or a healthy enough roster, to do anything more than we did offensively. It shouldn't be a difficult sell, because it's the truth.
Old 04-11-2007, 08:51 PM   #15
skan72
Deep dick pizza

I wasn't basing my opinion on an SI.com article, I know Self is a better coach then Weber, I was just using that to somewhat back up what I was saying, as in some one else has the same opinion, someone who is somewhat reliable.
skan72 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: