Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-10-2007, 01:26 PM   #1
GoBBall
Can barely lace up my sneakers

GoBBall has an OK reputation so far
Default Ball handling

yo I just started about a month ago (hadn't played bball in around 3 years and even then, I was never great). For some reason my shooting is pretty decent but my ball handling is very bad. I have trouble just getting down the court without letting the ball get too far away & I need to work on not accidentally double dribbling.

Do you guys recommend any particular exercises /drills/games to improve ball handling? Thanks.
GoBBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 01:33 PM   #2
STelfair31
National High School Star

STelfair31 has decent reputation
Default Re: Ball handling

just dribble..... all the other stuff will come.... practice with your strong hand then go to your off hand... so your decent with at least one hand then work on the other stuff...
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:52 PM   #3
KZ_23

KZ_23 has an OK reputation so far

Woah Woah Woah hold up a second. I highly dont reccomend working on your good hand first, then moving to your off hand. I suggest you working on both hands at the same time. Thats why fundamentals is a big deal in North America. Dribble with both hands equally, if you work on it really hard it makes a huge difference. So basically if you arnt joking around and want good handles, by the end of the summer you could be really good at it. If you got two basketballs dribble both at the same time, that one really helps.
KZ_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 03:49 PM   #4
whaley82
High School JV MVP

whaley82 has decent reputation

Something I recommend that helped me a lot is doing a lot of 2 ball dribbling. Run with a ball in each hand a dribble the at different times and at the same time. Also Switch the balls between the hands by doing crossovers, or behind the back and a crossover...But I agree work on both hands not just your good one and then your bad one.
whaley82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
different107
National High School Star

different107 has decent reputation

I've heard that Steve Nash dribbled tennis balls around to get better ball control.
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:56 PM   #6
whaley82
High School JV MVP

whaley82 has decent reputation

My coach had be doing that drills, its not that he just dribbles the tennis ball, he dribbles a basketball in one hand and in the other hand he toses himself the tennis ball up high and catches it. that way he becomes really good at dribblining the ball with his head up and able to control the ball while looking and moving to do other things. Its another great ball handling drill
whaley82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:58 PM   #7
KZ_23

KZ_23 has an OK reputation so far

Yes that is a great drill. It allows you to dribble, and keep your court vision up. I would reccomend that drill to anyone.
KZ_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:09 PM   #8
GoBBall

GoBBall has an OK reputation so far

Oh ok thanks for these ideas yall
GoBBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:28 AM   #9
Agent ZER0

Agent ZER0 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBBall
Oh ok thanks for these ideas yall

Drible in a dark room where you cant see anything.(just dont run into something lol)
Agent ZER0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:50 AM   #10
JMEWLS

dribble,dribble,dribble.

keep dribbling, then dribble some more. Dribble again, and maybe dribble one more time :)
Old 03-24-2008, 02:00 PM   #11
miller123

miller123 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBBall
yo I just started about a month ago (hadn't played bball in around 3 years and even then, I was never great). For some reason my shooting is pretty decent but my ball handling is very bad. I have trouble just getting down the court without letting the ball get too far away & I need to work on not accidentally double dribbling.

Do you guys recommend any particular exercises /drills/games to improve ball handling? Thanks.
U can dribble with just one finger start with ur index finger dribble with just that finger for about five times then move to ur middle and so on do it any time u can but make sure u arent lookin at the ball do it with both hands though it will increase quick movement of hands and fingers and ball control
miller123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:55 PM   #12
hito da god
look that way >>>>

hito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected posterhito da god is a pretty well-respected poster

i'll put it like this, pretty much anything you can do with the ball can help you get a better handle

just make sure you get both hands equal
hito da god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:45 AM   #13
miller123

Quote:
Originally Posted by hito da god
i'll put it like this, pretty much anything you can do with the ball can help you get a better handle

just make sure you get both hands equal

but not all people know how to do all that fancy stuff without having someone show them.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:49 AM   #14
miller123

do any of u guys know any real ankle breakin moves i can get without carrin the ball or travelin cause i can dribble good but i need to be able to get around people easier.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:59 PM   #15
Murdashow
I brick open layups

Murdashow has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller123
do any of u guys know any real ankle breakin moves i can get without carrin the ball or travelin cause i can dribble good but i need to be able to get around people easier.

I've got a dribble move that gets by just about anybody, but I can't really describe it. But the problem is i'm quick but not very explosive, so once i get past somebody I usually get blocked from the side/back.

And to the OP, if you havn't played in a while you just need to practice to get that hand-eye coordination back. Just keep dribbling up and down the court everyday and you will improve.
Murdashow is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: