Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 04-10-2007, 01:32 PM   #1
benny
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Dick Vitale Wants Basketball to Eliminate Fouling Out

I think he is off his meds...

After foul trouble ruined the Greg Oden-Roy Hibbert battle last night and also cut Arron Afflalo's night short, Dick Vitale proposed something interesting on ESPN: Vitale suggested that college basketball should completely eliminate the age-old rule of disqualifying players after they accumulate a certain number of fouls.

Vitale first suggested that the NCAA should change its rule of fouling out after five fouls and match the NBA's rule of six. But then he went a step beyond that, saying that players should be allowed to stay in the game even after their sixth foul, but that a player's seventh foul and beyond should result in the opposing team getting two shots and the ball. That would allow a team to keep its best player on the floor, but would prevent players from being put out there solely to foul all night.

It is a little odd, I guess, that basketball disqualifies players for racking up a certain number of fouls -- you don't see football players kicked out of the game for too many holding penalties. I guess it's possible that the NCAA could change to the six-foul rule, although with 40-minute games compared to 48 in the NBA, I'm not sure that's necessary.

Yay real fun....foul.....lineup...shoot....foul.....lineup. ..shoot....foul.....lineup...shoot....foul.....lin eup...shoot....foul.....lineup...shoot....foul.... .lineup...shoot....foul.....lineup...shoot....foul .....lineup...shoot
You will find me in the beer line up at a game like that!!
benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 02:16 PM   #2
STelfair31
National High School Star

Default Re: Dick Vitale Wants Basketball to Eliminate Fouling Out

yea that don't make sense.....
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:06 PM   #3
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

I don't think going to six fouls would be a bad idea, but five fouls is fine. It's 20% less than the NBA because the game is 20% shorter.

Eliminating disqualifications, though, is beyond stupid. If you don't like fouling out, play smarter defense.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:42 PM   #4
benny
Can barely lace up my sneakers

you think he is just trying to be noticed because he wants in the hall of fame
benny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 05:25 PM   #5
TheGame414
Decent college freshman

No, I think he legitimately believes it. He isn't the only one; Phil Jackson has aired the same opinion. But I believe you had it right in your first post. Even if it's two shots and the ball like Vitale suggests, the elimination of the DQ would significantly bog down the game.
TheGame414 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: