Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 03-06-2015, 09:22 PM   #16
ILLsmak
Life goes on.

Default Re: How do you get Hops?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebron23
Ankle Weights

I think trying to push my pretty good hops (like 34-36 at age 13-14) to dunking hops was what destroyed my ankle.

I dunno if I buy ankle weights as a good thing either. We were playing 1v1 with ankle weights on. lol. Winner wears the ankle weights. We did some crazy shit. Was fun but stupid. Also did a bunch of calf raises... I remember going to an Illinois bball game after I did a night of calf raises and I could barely make it up to where my seat was. I was telling my cousin I had done hundreds of half raises the night before and he was like rly? I guess he didn't think people did that.

I need to start doing them again tho cuz they are the weakest part of my body. I take fitness way more srs than I did when I was athletic.

I would say play ball for one... and make sure that you are smart about your weight and proportions, you might not be ready for 6 more inches on your vert. Gotta take it slow. I can say you CAN add a lot in one summer if you go hard... just like you can put a good amount on your bench, but... I dunno if that's proper for long term.

Think about how you'd feel if you legitly crippled your ability to play competitive basketball and ease up.

Edit: Should also be noted I didn't do much stretching and I slept/sat around a lot of the time, too. I def took it too fast. But, again, I really do think if you want to that you can add a lot to your vert/speed and that it will help. I've seen it happen, I've done it. It helps your game in that you'll get blocks or rebounds or people will be like DAMN... but it's risky, as I said, all out jumping in a bball game is a huge risk unless you have really good control. You can really get hurt. That's why it's good to be like Bron and set a wide base, work on your power jumping opposed to trying to just take off off of one foot. You won't get as high, but it's safer. Only take off when you know you very little traffic.

-Smak

Last edited by ILLsmak : 03-06-2015 at 09:28 PM.
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 05:01 AM   #17
oarabbus
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
That Higher Faster Stronger website is a gold mine for athletes

Kelly Baggett is pretty much the man when it comes to athletic training.

Future repped

One other thing to be said you should hopefully have access to a nice gym to follow his training program(s). If you are o

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickassGlasses
1. If you can barely lay the ball over a 9.5 foot rim, then it might not happen.

2. If it's to improve your game, honestly I wouldn't do it. There is a huge difference in dunking for show and dunking in a game. And return on investment just isn't that high.

3. Like most people have said, it's about your power production. Squats with an emphasis on speed is probably the best bang for your buck "exercise". Any form of jumping is good, but be careful not to overdo it. It's easy to overstress your body with plyo training, especially jumping because you wont feel it until later. I personally would avoid box jumps though, it's more of a hip flexion exercise unless your landing upright, in which it just becomes more dangerous than a typical vert jump.

4. Finally, get your form down. That will help more than anything else.

What do you mean? There are vids on youtube of 5'5" - 5'7" guys dunking. They weren't able to dunk without years of hard work.
oarabbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:28 PM   #18
eliteballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
Get your squat and deadlift 2x bodyweight atleast 1.75

Do tonnes of mobility, focusing on ankles and hips... Hit the whole lot, flexion +int/ext rotation, extension +int/ext rotation... Fix up femur positioning if you have an externally rotated femur which most seem to have...

After squat/dead achieved (full depth) transition into plyos/olympic lifting... Always be doing mobility... Do this for a few months, get that explosion

Make sure you lean down BF% wise

Start dunking... working on jumping technique etc... there should be plenty of drills etc on the net...

Also do some single legged gym work as well... Mainly just for co-ordination and proprioception... Pistol squats are a great choice

I used to be a state high jumper back in the day, can jump out of the gym, I'd guestimate if I leaned up my vert would be around 40... could probably do 37 at the moment... I was dunking at 5-9 when I was 15... Am now 6-1

Best advice in this thread.
eliteballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: