Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-11-2007, 02:45 AM   #61
poorlilrich
woop woop

poorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this boardpoorlilrich is popular on this board
Default Re: OT:Insulting Black People=Blasphemy;Insulting Arabs=OK

The black community is bigger than the arab community in the US. Therefore, when someone makes racist remarks towards black people, it gets blown up, people hear it, but the Arab community has no outspoken civil rights activists in the USA, so when someone makes racist remarks toward Arabians, there is no one to publicize them and put them out in the open. You guys ain't got no Al Sharpton. In other words, the black community has a bigger voice in the US than the Arabian community. So when someone disses black people, it will get more publicity than someone dissing an arab would get.
poorlilrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:48 AM   #62
Young HkM
Up in the Rafters

Young HkM is considered somewhat coolYoung HkM is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorlilrich
The black community is bigger than the arab community in the US. Therefore, when someone makes racist remarks towards black people, it gets blown up, people hear it, but the Arab community has no outspoken civil rights activists in the USA, so when someone makes racist remarks toward Arabians, there is no one to publicize them and put them out in the open. You guys ain't got no Al Sharpton. In other words, the black community has a bigger voice in the US than the Arabian community. So when someone disses black people, it will get more publicity than someone dissing an arab would get.

Completely on point. Exactly what I was going to say.
Young HkM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:03 AM   #63
0ne50
Local High School Star

0ne50 has an OK reputation so far

I know in a world of billions of people there had to be at least one white person out there who is for fighting racsim. I think I found one.
Quote:
Steps Toward Becoming White Allies
There are many ways for white people to work as allies in eliminating racism. Some of these include:

Taking visible stands against all forms of racism by both backing anti-racism organizations led by people targeted by racism as well as standing independently as a white person against racism;

Working on and eliminating our own racism and healing the places we have been silent and passive about racism;

Standing against one of the effects of racism by reminding targeted people of their goodness, intelligence, competence, and the importance of their relationships with one another;

Actively seeking correct information and healing from the ways we have been unaware and uninformed;

Building long-term friendships with people targeted by racism and challenging the racist messages of separation, difference, and fear;

Training and building groups of white allies committed to eliminating racism by assisting other whites to heal the damage done to us by racism;

Understanding that being allies to people targeted by racism is for our own benefit since it involves reclaiming our full humanity and having a world right for everyone, a world where everyone matters
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:28 AM   #64
samy568
Kids at the park dunk on me

samy568 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Masterplan
no, unless it refers to his white skin.

Like if a black guy said, "You suck whiteboy" to a white boy then that isnt racist. Because he is a whiteboy and if he sux, he sux.

you are just a stupid black boy. I am pretty sure you are stupid, you sound like it. Now that ain't racist.
samy568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:41 AM   #65
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
CAIR is worthless. They are all talk and are too scared to take action because of their fear of retaliation of the US government/public.

If they say the media is out to make muslims look bad, they will be labeled extremists and "potential" terrorists.

If they fight (not literally, of course) the government, they will be labeled extremists and "potential" terrorists.

I know. I was going to add to the end of that quote, "But Daniel Pipes and others think they're a front for terrorism or at least protect terrorists.."
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:58 AM   #66
knicks15
Local High School Star

knicks15 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
One Question: Why is it a national issue if a black womens' team being called names is a national issue but when the same guy promotes mass genocide of Arabs, no one care?

Are black Americans better than Palestinian Arabs? Or is an injustice only a injustice if it is against you?

because arabs arent as prevalent in america and are considered foreigners but mostly because for better or for worse blacks will create an uproar about it, while other races, like arabs, asians etc will be much more likely to be more passive.
knicks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:06 AM   #67
knicks15
Local High School Star

knicks15 has decent reputation

just wondering, how do black people view al sharpton? i mean i guess he would be well liked in the community but damn the dude plays the race card all the time. any crime against blacks the guy is the first person to jump in, it seems even if hes unsure about what exactly went on he would defend or take the black persons side. if he fought for the rights of people instead of every black person involved in a crime i think he would be more well respected, but being that he doesnt he comes off to me as a joke. and a character attack on him would create another uproar.
knicks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:48 AM   #68
0ne50
Local High School Star

0ne50 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by knicks15
just wondering, how do black people view al sharpton? i mean i guess he would be well liked in the community but damn the dude plays the race card all the time. any crime against blacks the guy is the first person to jump in, it seems even if hes unsure about what exactly went on he would defend or take the black persons side. if he fought for the rights of people instead of every black person involved in a crime i think he would be more well respected, but being that he doesnt he comes off to me as a joke. and a character attack on him would create another uproar.
Amadou Diallo was Muslim Al Sharpton "jumped in" when his right were violated, my bad I mean murdered.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 09:58 AM   #69
Sean77
High School JV MVP

Sean77 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
They can't be racist. In order to be racist they have to have some sort of power over white people. Since only whites can repress other races, they cannot be victims of racism.
Webster's definition of racism:

1. a belief that race is the the primery determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race. 2. racial prejudice or discrimination

Racism is prejudice or discrimination based on race, plain and simple. Therefore, anybody in any race can be a racist. For the record, I'm a black man with Jamaican heritage, and I can personally tell you about how blacks in the Caribbean can be very racist. If you're saying black people as a whole don't ever have a prejudice against white people, you're lying through your teeth. Let a white person step into an AME church see what the congregation's reaction is. Let a white person try to join a black student organization in college or high school and see what happens.

Ever heard of an "honorary black degree?" This represents the unwritten rule that a white person has to have earned a certain level of trust and respect - or be "down" - before black people will accept them. Look at the Queen Latifah movie Beautyshop, where the none of the sisters accepted the southern white girl until she started doing her hair like they do and started dating black guys. In fact at the end of the movie, they referred to her as being black, confirming their promotion of the idea that black is better than white. Now if it was a black woman working in an all-white salon and she had to start acting and looking white, we would cry racism. So how is it not racism when blacks do that to whites or any other race?

Call things for what they are. Hate is hate. Racism is racism.
Sean77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:03 AM   #70
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
The next person to be so brave doesn't have to be a black man. It's could be a white man, a Hispanic, an Asian, an Arab, it don't matter. Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and guys like those have in some cases stood up for other minorities. They are not perfect. I heard Sharpton speaking out against racial profiling of the behalf of Arabs before. Less that two weeks ago Sharpton and Jackson protested 50 Cent and degrading hip hop music. They are leaders for a reason. It's because they stand for something positive for other people. Who are you as an individual to point out flaws when the only thing you have done against racism is claim your not racist. Gee thanks!

I wanna see minority from other races fight ALL racism.

good post

thats why Sharpton is my favorite politician today.. The dude calls it like he sees it and he aint a half stepper... When leaders in Puerto Rico needed help protesting bombing ranges and other destructive sh*t on their land, Who went down there and stood with them? Who got his ass thrown in jail in support of his Hispanic allies? Sharpton did... When Tawana Brawley needed support, who backed her? (even tho she lied to him).. Sharpton did....When Yusef Hawkins was murdered and other blacks were murdered in NY, Who led the march and wound up even getting stabbed by some racist white guy? Al Sharpton did....

Sharpton is a democrat who isnt afraid to call out the democrats when they are bullsh*tting around on issues...

Sharpton puts his time and money where his mouth is and you can never hate that...

Beyond that I dont see the point in this thread.... Any body who has lived here long enough realizes that America thrives on, needs a bogey man to carry on properly.. We need somebod to look at as the evil among us..

If it aint blacks then its arabs or the soviets.....

Arabs have become the new bogey man... the menacing pictures of Willie Horton and OJ have been replaced with the menacing photos of Bin Laden and any other muslim figure we can whip up...

150 is right tho. We really need to all fight this stuff together, because people need to realize its not about race in reality, its about class

and the upper class is dividing the lower class with these issues... I see just as many poor whites with the same issues and needs as the poor blacks and poor hispanics. Poor people havent stopped fighting each other for the crumbs on the table.. Once that stops, things will change
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:07 AM   #71
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

I think the reason is that Arabs are a newer minority group for lack of a better word then Blacks. Almost every new immigrant group that came to America has faced some sort of prejudice in way shape or form. When the Irish and Italians came, they were considered "black" and different from the Americans living there before them. But over time they were accepted into American society.

Now I don't think Arabs will ever reach the level of acceptance as the Irish or Italians have, because of the physical differences, but over time society will find a way to accept them and hopefully the hate will slow down.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:32 AM   #72
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

Al Sharpton does stand up for people of other races, but the newspapers arent really in a rush to tell you about that stuff... you'd have to be paying attention to know
Old 04-11-2007, 11:15 AM   #73
JtotheIzzo
The Future is Now

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Arabs were never enslaved in America.

Blacks were.

Arabs are portrayed as 'enemies' in the conservative media because it helps further the right wing agenda of divide and conquer. American insensitivity towards Arab nations will be its burden, much like slavery still is.

Imus called a bunch of well to do college girls who are practicing their sport at a very high level and getting a tertiary education a bunch of 'nappy headed hoes'

it is racist because they are not hoes, nor nappy, they are articulate, bright, educated young women. He simple saw them as black hoodlums.

The outcry over race is opportunistic grandstanding by the usual players unfortunatey. America has serious race issues that other countries simply dont have.

It is the country's cross to bear and will always be.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:24 AM   #74
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
The outcry over race is opportunistic grandstanding by the usual players unfortunatey. America has serious race issues that other countries simply dont have.

I would agree here.. You seem to have a good perspective..almost a non-american view.. it seems to come from an unbiased outsider's position..

what would you recommend to americans to help with these problems
Old 04-11-2007, 12:00 PM   #75
JtotheIzzo
The Future is Now

JtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJtotheIzzo is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
I would agree here.. You seem to have a good perspective..almost a non-american view.. it seems to come from an unbiased outsider's position..

what would you recommend to americans to help with these problems

Well I am a Canadian who lives overseas, and nothing pisses me off more than when I hear another Canadian telling Americans how they should go about their shiiit but I will take this liberty this time.

Words like n*gga, sp*c, w*p, ch*nk, go*k etc... need to be completely wiped off the map. I am currently studying Chinese and once a learned a few swear words in the language I started dropping them in front of Chinese people thinking they'd find it amusing in the same way I'd find a non-English speaker saying f*ck. They were just like: 'Dude, dont say that, you sound like a scumbag piece of yellow trash'. Those werent their exact words, but you get the point:

Certain words are immediatly associated with the user being scum, the juvenile entertainment I derived from it was far outweighed by the disgust they got from it.

Black people have to stop saying 'n*gga', that whole concept about taking the word back from whites is BS. Keeping it in the public conscious just shows a difference between the two groups of people, which is bad. If blacks never said it, whites would have absolutely no excuse to ever utter it and it would fade away.

Multiculteralism needs to be celebrated, the melting pot concept is BS. Blacks will always be down with black culture, Asians with theirs etc... they all wont start listening to country music because they are Americans. Accept the fact people are different culturally. Better understand and educate people about history. It is no coincidence that the USA has these problems, less than 40% of the country has a passport, few Americans can find other countries on the map, they are educated by TV which perpetuates stereotypes for cheap laughs, just like idiots like Don Imus do.

Educate people that other cultures and societies exist, and then they will better understand that different people in their own country are really people too.

To highlight the difference, there is an episode of the TV show 'Extras' an English show where one episode a white girl starts dating a black guy. She does every bonehead thing in the book but it is quite interesting to see how it plays out. While watching I kept thinking this could never be aired on US TV.
People were open about race. This doesn't happen in the States, look at Imus, all the White media was like : 'terrible, just wrong etc...' which is was, but it keeps happening.

This is because there is no dialogue. No one talks about why it is that rednecks like country music and vote republican and blacks like hip hop and vote democratic. People are afraid to say the wrong thing, it is career ending.

the US needs a race summit or something of the like set up by the government, not MTV or any for profit organization, get all the issues out and discussed and come up with a guideline of what is acceptable and what shoudl be tolerated and most improtantly how to educate people about the different groups, because in 25 years the US is going to be a deeper shade of brown and this shiiit has to get sorted in the meantime or it is gonna hit the fan.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: