Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-11-2007, 03:19 PM   #16
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: Don Imus gets suspended for racist remarks, what about this guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
the DNA evidence was inconclusive, not exculpatory.... Big difference

anyway... you are hell bent on blaming Jesse and Al for something..anything, so I guess there is no reason to discuss this with you

Good call, you know my perogative from a few posts on a basketball forum. I applaud you sir for your outstanding psycholgical profiling abilities.

My point was that instead of calling for Imus' job and rejecting his apology, they should spend a few minutes in self reflection, and realize, accept, and apologize for when they were in the wrong.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:21 PM   #17
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

you're all over the place now....

are you mad at Sharpton or are you mad at the female?

Quote:
*Be white, male, upper-class, and a lacrosse player.

if you are honest with yourself, you know there is more to it than that....

while on the other hand....those females did nothing whatsoever to deserve what happened to them....

unless you consider being female and black a good reason..

Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #18
Randy

Quote:
you're all over the place now....

are you mad at Sharpton or are you mad at the female?

if you are honest with yourself, you know there is more to it than that....

while on the other hand....those females did nothing whatsoever to deserve what happened to them....

unless you consider being female and black a good reason..

I could care less about that woman, but the fact that these players were suspended from school and had their season cancelled becuase of her outrageous claims does bother me. I was just using the Duke case as an example of Sharpton's hypocrisy. He will push and and b*tch until he gets his way, even if he is in the wrong, and then won't apologize or admit his wrongs.

I know these girls did nothing wrong and Imus is a mega sh*t head but many of those players are just as innocent but there college years were partially ruined because Al Sharpton wanted justice.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:35 PM   #19
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

I dont agree with 99.9% of what youve said in this thread, but I will agree that any lacrosse player who didnt even attend the party or have a bad rep. before hand got a bad deal when they had to submit a DNA sample even though the players decided amongst themselves that they would all be silent and say nothin thus making it very hard for the DA to find out exactly what happened...

But still, I dont see how this equates to it being Sharpton's fault this stuff happened......When a woman says she was raped, the police and DAs office are gonna at least investigate and take initial action against the suspects on the woman's word... Sharpton didnt create that precedent... that happens al the time, especially in a high profile case where everyone will be watching.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:28 PM   #20
samy568
Kids at the park dunk on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydneyking
The guy in that vid doesn't have his own radio show and is obviously an extremist.

That was easy.

He is actually a famous professor and black activist Kamau Kambon. The guy is not a nutcase off the street. He is highly respected in the black community. That's racism at it's finest, Imus should get a break.

Last edited by samy568 : 04-11-2007 at 06:17 PM.
samy568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 04:43 PM   #21
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

that dude is NOT a highly respected person in the black community...

Cornel West is a highly respected person in black community
Eric Dyson is a highly respected person in the black community

I never even heard of this guy before.... he doesnt speak for black folks and sure as hell isnt somebody well known...

his fate can be the same as Imus's for all I care because extermination of any people is not my goal and shouldnt be the goal of any civilized person...

Last edited by Rasheed1 : 04-11-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:19 PM   #22
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

good article on the stupidity of some people

Quote:
Posted on Wed, Apr. 11, 2007
email this
print this
Pennsylvania DJ fired for repeating Imus slur as part of contest
MICHAEL RUBINKAM
The Associated Press
ALLENTOWN, Pa. - A radio station in the Poconos fired its longtime morning DJ on Wednesday for holding an on-air contest in which listeners were encouraged to say "nappy-headed ho," the slur that got talk-show host Don Imus suspended.

Gary Smith, of the "Gary in the Morning" show on WSBG-FM in Stroudsburg, was fired after station management reviewed a tape of Tuesday's broadcast, said Rick Musselman, executive vice president of station owner Nassau Broadcasting Partners L.P.

Smith told listeners to call WSBG and say "I'm a nappy-headed ho" for Tuesday's "Phrase that Pays" contest, Musselman said. He said three of the listeners who called were awarded tickets to a NASCAR promotion at a local club.

"Gary has done a tremendous amount of good in the community over the past 17 years as the morning voice of WSBG, but his comments Tuesday crossed the line," Musselman said in a statement.

Musselman said that Smith was fired and not suspended because he uttered the slur in a premeditated manner, "with full knowledge of the reaction to Don Imus' use of the exact same phrase."

Smith has an unlisted number and could not be reached for comment Wednesday.

The nationally syndicated Imus was suspended for two weeks by CBS Radio and MSNBC after he called members of the mostly black Rutgers women's basketball team "nappy-headed hos." Civil rights groups have demanded that he be fired.

On Tuesday, Nassau issued a statement condemning Imus' remarks and said it expected him to "keep his promise to change his ways as a basis for Nassau's future relationship with the show." Imus is heard on a handful of Nassau stations, including two in the Poconos.

In an interview Wednesday, however, Musselman said the company is "evaluating what we're going to do with Imus."

"We're not sure what we're going to do yet, but we have two weeks to make that decision before he comes back, if he comes back," said Musselman, who oversees Nassau stations in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Maryland.

Princeton, N.J.-based Nassau is a privately held company with more than 50 radio stations in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts and Maryland.

WSBG 93.5, a 3,000-watt rock station, can be heard in the Poconos as well as in Warren and Sussex counties in western New Jersey. It is based in Stroudsburg, about 40 miles northeast of Allentown.

you'd think a Dj would be a bit smarter after seeing what Imus has to go thru....

but then again
Old 04-12-2007, 12:19 AM   #23
Randy

http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/10121203

Looks like I'm not alone in seeing similarities between these two racially driven events. These Duke students are deserving of an apology, it's a shame that becasue they are white they will not recieve one.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #24
icemanfan
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
http://www.cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/10121203

Looks like I'm not alone in seeing similarities between these two racially driven events. These Duke students are deserving of an apology, it's a shame that becasue they are white they will not recieve one.
the posters who see "no reason to appologize" are full of ****. If this was a mostly black football team that had been exhonerated these same posters and the very racist Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would be screaming at the top of their lungs for a national appology to the players.
icemanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:04 AM   #25
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanfan
the posters who see "no reason to appologize" are full of ****. If this was a mostly black football team that had been exhonerated these same posters and the very racist Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson would be screaming at the top of their lungs for a national appology to the players.

sorta like you are now?

dont give me this 'if this happened to black folk' bullsh*t... I'll go back pull out all the times it already has happened to black folks and there was no apology..

F*ck, half the time there wasnt even a trial...

Those boys on the lacrosse team made their own rep as racist pigs who wouldnt be above raping somebody (Emails where they talk about skinning girls alive and their numerous run-ins with the law on top of the people who say they heard these ass holes shouting racial slurs at the women that night..

they'll get their apology from the DA, but Al sharpton and other black folks dont owe them sh*t......They made their beds from the public standpoint

Welcome to the justice system as it works for everyone else ...

Last edited by Rasheed1 : 04-12-2007 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #26
j Fresh
Local High School Star

I used to listen to Imus In The Morning everyday before going to school. Some of it was funny, they used to bring in impressionist and it was a good part of the show. But Imus always was an insulting man, he made fun of everybody and offended people just for laughs, and just because his Imus Ranch helps kids with Cancer and he does alot to help the community doesn't mean he can make fun of people. MSNBC lost so many advertising because of him and he derseverd it... Karma is a B|TCH!
j Fresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:24 AM   #27
icemanfan
Local High School Star

Quote:
sorta like you are now?

dont give me this 'if this happened to black folk' bullsh*t... I'll go back pull out all the times it already has happened to black folks and there was no apology..

F*ck, half the time there wasnt even a trial...

Those boys on the lacrosse team made their own rep as racist pigs who wouldnt be above raping somebody (Emails where they talk about skinning girls alive and their numerous run-ins with the law on top of the people who say they heard these ass holes shouting racial slurs at the women that night..

they'll get their apology from the DA, but Al sharpton and other black folks dont owe them sh*t......They made their beds from the public standpoint

Welcome to the justice system as it works for everyone else ...
By your standards Imus owes those girls nothing because Free Speachis legal and "welcome to the world of free speach" RIGHT? Hows that double standard? You live with it no one will take you serious because they know your idea of equal is only equal for some.
icemanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #28
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
By your standards Imus owes those girls nothing because Free Speachis legal and "welcome to the world of free speach" RIGHT? Hows that double standard? You live with it no one will take you serious because they know your idea of equal is only equal for some.

Imus is only apologizing to save his own ass...... lets get that straight first

He's got a long line of people to apologize to if he is really doing it from his heart.....From jews to women to asians to blacks to any thing else with a pulse...He's insulted them at some time or another...His crass humor caught with him and bit him in his own ass... period.. He made his bed and now its time for him to sleep

Al Sharpton and the people who criticized those kids from Duke were reacting to situation as it was relayed to them by the news and the DA.. Those kids were reported to be a problem born out of their privelidge... Sharpton and others mobilized like they usually do (if you dont like how Sharpton and Jesse attack those types of issues, thats a whole different topic).....They dont owe these guys an apology... The DAs office and the police do.....I think the girl owes them an apology for lying about rape..(Although I still think something wrong happened to her that night)

This aint about free speech so save the mini lecture.....Free speech aint free... look at Imus... His speech is costing him his job....But he cant say he doesnt deserve what is happening to him
Old 04-12-2007, 11:05 AM   #29
0ne50
Local High School Star

there's a difference
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:58 PM   #30
haterofhaters
Fantasy Forum Mod

Quote:
If this was a team full of black football players, they'd be on lockdown right now. Are you kidding??? Imagine if it was a team of black guys and a white girl who made the claim. Do you think that the black guys would be judged the same? I don't, I think they would be looked at as guilty automatically whether or not they really did it.
haterofhaters is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: