Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-12-2007, 09:37 PM   #31
icemanfan
National High School Star

Default Re: Don Imus gets suspended for racist remarks, what about this guy?

[quote=haterofhaters] If this was a team full of black football players, they'd be on lockdown right now. Are you kidding??? Imagine if it was a team of black guys and a white girl who made the claim. Do you think that the black guys would be judged the same? I don't, I think they would be looked at as guilty automatically whether or not they really did it.[/
QUOTE] You mean like Foul Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson form a National platform did to the Duke kids? I will say it once more HOW IS THAT DOUBLE STANDARD? Wow you guys really are something. Can not see the forest through the trees can you. LOL F'n funny ****.
icemanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:47 PM   #32
0ne50
Local High School Star

About the Duke rape thing. First off, that whole thing was reported in bad taste. Media shenanigans is what it was. There was never any video or audio evidence as to what may or may not have happened. The whole thing was thrown out there to get black people riled up against a predominantly white Lacrosse team. At the same time it was thrown out there to get white people to stand behind said predominantly white team accused of the despicable act of rape. A lot of naive folk fell for it. You know who you are. I for one paid very little attention to it. Mainly because, what about all the other rape allegations going on at the same time throughout the country? They are just as important. Me being the stickler for time that I am, I decided not to wasted much of my time even thinking about it. I'm a UNC fan and I hate Duke that's my only connection to the story. I don' hate Duke in such a way that I would celebrate the day that some group of guys that goes to the school is brought up on rape charges. That's low and beneath me.

What do we really know about what happened? Why is there a celebration? Does the outcome of this scandal mean that white is fair and black is bad? The charges were dropped, they are off the hook. It is what it is. Leave it at that. You're a fool if you think this proves that nothing happened. And you are also a fool to think that something did happen.

Now on to Imus. What he did just happened have visual and audible evidence to it. We know he did it.

So keeping things in perspective if my 2 sister came home and one told me that she was raped and the other told me that she was called a nappy headed ho, the rape would take precedent over everything. Raping someone could get you killed or locked up. Calling someone a nappy headed ho could get you beat up or banished. But you all should know that already. Rape is a lot more serious, but we know what Imus did. Falsely accusing someone of rape is a lot more serious, BUT WE KNOW WHAT IMUS DID. But what we do know over what we don't know will always be the case.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:07 PM   #33
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterofhaters
If this was a team full of black football players, they'd be on lockdown right now. Are you kidding??? Imagine if it was a team of black guys and a white girl who made the claim. Do you think that the black guys would be judged the same? I don't, I think they would be looked at as guilty automatically whether or not they really did it.

Are you kidding??? They were viewed as guilty as soon as the story hit the news wire. Their season was suspended, they were suspended from school, and had their names dragged through mud and a several more times for good measure. Everyone assumed they were gulity and now their entire college experience is ruined, not to mention their names.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:52 AM   #34
reppy
Apparently likes anime

I found this to be interesting:

Quote:
A suicide bomber wearing a bomb vest managed to get into a cafeteria in the parliament building in the fortress-like Green Zone in downtown Baghdad and to detonate his payload. He killed 8 persons and wounded 20, among them two members of parliament. They included an MP from the secular Sunni National Dialogue Front (11 seats) and another from the Kurdistan Alliance.

John McCain's silliness about how safe it is to walk around Baghdad should be decisively put to rest by this incident. Security is clearly getting worse in Iraq, not better. Although the Green Zone has frequently taken mortar fire, bombings have been extremely rare (one previous successful one?). It could only have happened if persons who look to the Americans as though they are loyal allies were actually smuggling in components and working for the Sunni Arab guerrilla movement.

Kyra Phillips is saying that a lot of security checking coming into the Green Zone has been turned over to the Iraqis or over to private security firms. "Someone is obviously not doing their job," she observed.

The oddest thing is that I hardly saw anything about this on American cable television news Thursday morning. (At noon, of course, CNN allows one hour of a feed from the adult news, CNN International, and it did a good job.) They had some small town murder mystery again, or stories about white shock jocks being shocking and racist (as if the owners of the cable television news weren't the ones purveying white shock jocks with racist views to the world). It is tragic that corporate media get away with using public resources to divert the attention of the people from what is important and to baby sit them with pablum.

Yeah, what Imus said was pretty outrageous.. but does it really warrant this much news coverage?
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:59 AM   #35
gsxr1kryder
Decent playground baller

wow. this thread has kinda spiraled out of control.

Who thought this would create this much drama? Personally, I have never, ever even heard of this Imus guy.
gsxr1kryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:00 AM   #36
hutcht02
Mr. Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ne50
About the Duke rape thing. First off, that whole thing was reported in bad taste. Media shenanigans is what it was. There was never any video or audio evidence as to what may or may not have happened. The whole thing was thrown out there to get black people riled up against a predominantly white Lacrosse team. At the same time it was thrown out there to get white people to stand behind said predominantly white team accused of the despicable act of rape. A lot of naive folk fell for it. You know who you are. I for one paid very little attention to it. Mainly because, what about all the other rape allegations going on at the same time throughout the country? They are just as important. Me being the stickler for time that I am, I decided not to wasted much of my time even thinking about it. I'm a UNC fan and I hate Duke that's my only connection to the story. I don' hate Duke in such a way that I would celebrate the day that some group of guys that goes to the school is brought up on rape charges. That's low and beneath me.

What do we really know about what happened? Why is there a celebration? Does the outcome of this scandal mean that white is fair and black is bad? The charges were dropped, they are off the hook. It is what it is. Leave it at that. You're a fool if you think this proves that nothing happened. And you are also a fool to think that something did happen.

Now on to Imus. What he did just happened have visual and audible evidence to it. We know he did it.

So keeping things in perspective if my 2 sister came home and one told me that she was raped and the other told me that she was called a nappy headed ho, the rape would take precedent over everything. Raping someone could get you killed or locked up. Calling someone a nappy headed ho could get you beat up or banished. But you all should know that already. Rape is a lot more serious, but we know what Imus did. Falsely accusing someone of rape is a lot more serious, BUT WE KNOW WHAT IMUS DID. But what we do know over what we don't know will always be the case.

What ever happened to free speech? Just because someone says something that hurts doesn't mean that they should be fired or even punished for speaking their mind. I don't agree with what he said, but I think all this talk about firing him is complete crap. He's just living the 1st Amendment. And let me ask you another question: When Al Sharpton said "Get that honkie off the air" why didn't anyone come down on him, because if Imus would've said the N word or anything else about their ethnicity, he'd have been jumped on. If we're going to be completly sensitive and Liberal, and unfair, lets at least be consistant please!
hutcht02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:00 AM   #37
hutcht02
Mr. Basketball

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ne50

What ever happened to free speech? Just because someone says something that hurts doesn't mean that they should be fired or even punished for speaking their mind. I don't agree with what he said, but I think all this talk about firing him is complete crap. He's just living the 1st Amendment. And let me ask you another question: When Al Sharpton said "Get that honkie off the air" why didn't anyone come down on him? because if Imus would've said the N word or anything else about their ethnicity, he'd have been jumped on. If we're going to be completly sensitive and Liberal, and unfair, lets at least be consistant please!
Old 04-13-2007, 01:01 AM   #38
hutcht02
Mr. Basketball

my bad. i posted that last one twice by accident
Old 04-13-2007, 01:09 AM   #39
0ne50
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutcht02
What ever happened to free speech? Just because someone says something that hurts doesn't mean that they should be fired or even punished for speaking their mind. I don't agree with what he said, but I think all this talk about firing him is complete crap. He's just living the 1st Amendment. And let me ask you another question: When Al Sharpton said "Get that honkie off the air" why didn't anyone come down on him? because if Imus would've said the N word or anything else about their ethnicity, he'd have been jumped on. If we're going to be completly sensitive and Liberal, and unfair, lets at least be consistant please!
Hook me up with a link to him saying that.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:36 AM   #40
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

who is that guy anyways? And why does Fox always bring in outrageous black people or blatant Uncle Tom's to represent the African American point of view?

I wouldn't be mad at all if he got fired for this, but he doesnt even look like he has a job to be fired from
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:08 PM   #41
Sean77
High School JV MVP

Article written by my pastor the other day, tell me what you think about it. He's black and married to a Korean woman, by the way...

Quote:
Should Imus Have Been Fired?

Op-Ed by David Anderson, D.Phil
April 11, 2007

He finally did it. Imus finally shocked enough people with his comment debasing the predominately African American girlís college basketball team at Rutgers University when he referred to the team as "nappy headed hos". The big question that is swirling around the country now is about Imusí career. Should he stay or should he go? Is a two week suspension enough or should Imus be fired? I have been questioned about the matter and would like to pose a few questions of my own first before I tell you what should happen to Imus.

First, where are Imusí friends of color who can attest to the fact that he is not, as he proclaims, a racists? Where were Michael Richardís black friends? Where were Mel Gibsonís Jewish buddies? Which African American colleagues came to Trent Lottís defense when he spoke nostalgically about Strom Thurmond for president? If you or I said something off-color, would otherís come to our defense and proclaim that we are anything but racist. I would hope that I have enough personal friends of different descent that if I did slip and say the wrong thing, the offense would be charged to my head and not my heart. Of course, I would assume that my heart would be broken if I offended others with my careless comments. I would not try to defend but would, like these other men, apology. The difference is that others would, I hope, come to my rescue to testify that I am not a racist and that the whole of my life announces the opposite conclusion.

My point is simple, if Imus had relationships with African Americans on a personal level he would have known that what he said was way out of bounds. Is this a double standard? Donít black comedians get to use the "N" word? Donít hip hop artist promote the language of women as "hos" which is a street term for whores? What gives?

Two things must be understood about double standards. First, they do exist and itís okay. I can talk about my wife, but you canít. Thatís just the way it is. Jewish people can joke among themselves about their noses, but Iím not Jewish, so I donít have that same right unless I simply want to offend. I can joke negatively about myself, but Iíd prefer that you do not take that as a cue that somehow licenses you to do the same.

The bottom line is that joking on oneself or within ones sociological group does not give blanket permission for those outside that group to entertain disrespectful speech. This is rule number one. You have to learn it. Why? Because language landmines exist in every group and it is critical to know that accepting double standards in language is a reality that we all must embrace if we want to be bridge builders.

Imus missed this lesson when he attempted to defend his poor choice of words. Michael Richards should have known that the "N" word is unsuitable in public by anyone, but especially by whites who use it pejoratively. I canít imagine that he has personal relationships with blacks.

What about Bill Bennett? Didnít he say that crime would be eliminated if we aborted black babies? Somehow he was able to stand firmly by his comments because he didnít really mean it. Mel Gibson was drunk and really loves Jews, right? Hereís the bottom line: people step on language landmines all the time. Whatís in the heart comes out when we least expect it. Therefore, we must build cross cultural relationships to become more sensitized to the daggers of speech that cut to the hearts of others.

Basic decency demands that we apologize to those weíve offended. I think Imus has done this. But is an apology enough? Evidently not for the Reverend Al Sharpton who repeatedly called for Imus to be fired and told him so face to face on Sharptonís radio show. I take a different view.

Instead of firing Imus who displayed a form of racism with his speech, letís extend a form of gracism with our actions as a community. Instead of lynching Imus in return, what about if African Americans share their pain and then demand that Imus does several shows that educate him and his listening audience about racial matters in America with the hopes of making a difference. You may be surprised at how powerful grace is when it is experienced by those who donít expect it and know they donít deserve it.

Sean77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 03:36 PM   #42
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

I really liked that article..

It hit on a couple of points I make around here daily...

*Just because I call my personal friend a name, doesnt mean you can too

*All this bickering over 'words' is a symptom of the larger problem and we need to treat the problem istead of fighting the symtpoms. The problem is that people in this society dont have the proper respect for one another anymore and as we keep insulting one another, we are destroying our own community.. Its hurting all of us

A lady I know was happy Imus got fired and I cautioned her.. This is not good news... There is a whole segment of people who are upset about this and these people arent gonna just go away or forget about it... We cant just keep silencing the people who step outta line...

We need to re-learn how to treat one another in this society...

We need to re-learn respect for our fellow Americans

Our society is very sick right now.... We are a society of rights and not a society of responsibility.... everyone wants to shout about their rights, but no-one wants to be responsible for the man next to them..

In all honesty, none of this stuff will change if we dont change first

Last edited by Rasheed1 : 04-13-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:40 PM   #43
icemanfan
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
I really liked that article..

It hit on a couple of points I make around here daily...

*Just because I call my personal friend a name, doesnt mean you can too

*All this bickering over 'words' is a symptom of the larger problem and we need to treat the problem istead of fighting the symtpoms. The problem is that people in this society dont have the proper respect for one another anymore and as we keep insulting one another, we are destroying our own community.. Its hurting all of us

A lady I know was happy Imus got fired and I cautioned her.. This is not good news... There is a whole segment of people who are upset about this and these people arent gonna just go away or forget about it... We cant just keep silencing the people who step outta line...

We need to re-learn how to treat one another in this society...

We need to re-learn respect for our fellow Americans

Our society is very sick right now.... We are a society of rights and not a society of responsibility.... everyone wants to shout about their rights, but no-one wants to be responsible for the man next to them..

In all honesty, none of this stuff will change if we dont change first

Something we can agree on Sheed. Well said.
icemanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: