Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-11-2007, 10:06 PM   #16
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Jason Whitlock speaks the TRUTH!!! (article -- MUST READ)

Dropping knowledge? I've have enough of people trying to do that dealing with the 5 percenters and Nation of Islam growing up. Im sure he...like most people with big opinions on what is wrong with this people and that one....is just saying what he sees with his small view of the situation. If I wanted to hear what was wrong with black people id go down to the corner by my moms house and ask a muslim. Id at least get a bean pie out of the deal.
Kblaze8855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:09 PM   #17
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
There is no comparison with rappers and what Imus said. And Sharpton/Jessie Jackson have spoken out against rappers and thier usage of language/lyrical content. As did the late C Delores Tucker.

Maybe they have spoken out against it but it hasnt been loud enough. What Imus did is a small thing in the grand scheme. It should open up a big forum within the black communtiy and between blacks and whites.

Imus should be dealt with accordingly...I say fire him and drag him through the media but thats just my opinion.

Actually i dont really care what happens to imus. I want this to open up discussion about why it is ok for rappers to totally degrade black women. This issue has to be brought up and now is as good a time as any. Like Chris Rock said a long time ago there is like a civil war in the black communty.

Honestly I cant stand most rappers and find them ignorant and hypocritical. Someone needs to calll them out on the damage they have done to the black community. But every1 seems scared too, I thought Opera was gonna do it but even she backed off(prob scared she would be called a sell out).

I dont see how us as a people arent hurt when we see our sisters and daughters singing and songs about women being h*** and b****.

Id be more impressed if Sharpton went after 50 cent and Ludacris than what he is doing now because the impact would be so much bigger. It might not be PC to say but blacks are behind the eight ball and progress is occurring to slow. Someone needs to step up and start a change.

Last edited by Younggrease : 04-11-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:13 PM   #18
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yes they are. They need a new name bad. Gives a bad idea of what to expect.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:17 PM   #19
SCY
Put yr guns up

SCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputation

This is a bean pie? So it's just beans, but in pie shape? What's the point?
SCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:21 PM   #20
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCY

This is a bean pie? So it's just beans, but in pie shape? What's the point?

im not sure whats in it but it tastes nothing like beans. Its very sweet. One of my fav types of pies.

next time you see a muslim dude selling them buy 1.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:21 PM   #21
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Also....Martin Luther King, Jesus, and Malcolm X could come back to life and hold a press conference on why rap is horrible and not change much of anything.

Music is music. People who dont "get" it have and always will blame the music of the youth for their problems. In the 50s Elvis was blamed for teen pregnancy.He was actually banned from some shows because he moved his hips in a sexual way. In the 60s and 70s hippie type music was partly blamed for drugs and the poork work ethic of the youth. In the 80s all those metal bands got hated on for preaching about the devil. Then it was NWA and Luke promoting violence and sexual behavior.

Music and what it does to society is, was, and always will be overblown by shortsighted "This is whats wrong with the world today!" do gooders without the common sense to see it is society changing that changes the music not the other way around.

People dont dress the way they do because of music. Music promotes the way kids dress because the kids grow up and make the music. Music doesnt make gangbangers do it. Gangbangers make the music and when it sells(mostly to white people by the way) people who arent gang types pretend to be to make a buck. Lil John didnt make people start getting "crunk" he saw people were doing it and made things for them to do it to.

Hip hop didnt do **** to the world. The world did **** to hip hop.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:23 PM   #22
Xsatyr
Samurai Chef

Xsatyr is considered somewhat coolXsatyr is considered somewhat cool

^ I don't blame rap music for the way people act, I only think rap music represents what the hip hop community is about. That being said, I think it is sad.
Xsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:24 PM   #23
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

picc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation here

I love bean pie. Tastes nothing like it sounds.
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:25 PM   #24
SCY
Put yr guns up

SCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputationSCY has a terrific reputation

Quote:
next time you see a muslim dude selling them buy 1.

lol, from wikipedia
Quote:
Hence it is a common stereotype amongst African American communities that Nation of Islam members sell Bean Pies.

I'll have to try one now.
SCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:25 PM   #25
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

You guys are just misinformed that they dont do it. B's and Ho's? Snoop doesnt refer to an educated black woman who goes to college and plays basketball as a ho or bytch. So once again you guys continue to lump Imus and Snoop/or any rapper who uses those term in the same light. And they are not. Its the classic case of numerous counters...

"White people enslaved blacks"

Counter "Africans sold them to the white man"

"White people killed blacks for years. Hung them from a tree"

Counter "There are a lot of black on black crime today."

"Racial profiling exists...driving while black"

Counter "Thats because jails/prisons numbers show the significant amount of blacks and crimes committed. Therefore cops have probable cause based on stats"

Imus calls Rutgers woman out thier name "Nappy headed ho's". What does nappy heads imply and who does it reference? Blacks Ho's, what is that term being used to describe? Woman 1 + 1 = 2.

Counter Snoop says "I dont love them ho's" implying woman who are up to no good, not about nothing who prey on men for money as well as other things"

Jessie Jackson/Rev Al Sharpton speak out on Imus and his remarks on a show that has ENORMOUS RATINGS where the demographic is white males for the most part.

Counter "How come Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton dont speak out against Snoop, Young Jeezy and all them?" (they do but people only notice jessie/al when they are on tv).

And I'm not too fond of jessie or al. But the arguments being used are ridiculous. Its always spin/counters to deflect the attention from a old white male who has a history of throwing out these dumb remarks. His right hand man was canned for saying the Williams sister looked like a monkey. Then he was rehired! If you dont wanna get into the race talk...fine, but lets call a dumbass comment for what it is.

People ASSume Jessie and Al dont speak out on black issues in house. Like they arent out in the urban communities asking for people to stop the violence, stay in school, dont do/sell drugs, SPEAK UP and get away from this "No snitching" nonsense being promoted/preached. Like Young Jeezy has NEVER been put on the spot for his Snowman reference. Jessie and Al just sit around until the white man gets out of character to leap and speak. Biggest misconception. There are activist who go against rappers with lyrical content that degrades blacks and woman. Again the late C Delores Tucker was HUGE in supporting black woman and them being called b's and hos.

50 cent hype man tony yayo biiitch slapped a teenager who was the son of game's manager. Russell Simmons, Al Sharpton and others have protested G-Unit records.

Czar Entertainment, Cynthia Reed, Russell Simmons, Al Sharpton and Dr. Benjamin Chavis will be speaking holding a press conference on Monday, April 2 to speak out against violence in hip-hop in wake of the recent assault on Jimmy Henchman and Cynthia Reed’s 14 year-old son at the hands of Tony Yayo.

Presidential hopeful Rev. Al Sharpton held his second Annual National Convention for his National Action Network over the past weekend that was punctuated with a hip-hop workshop on Saturday evening.

The last workshop, “Using The Influence Of Hip-Hop To Empower Our Youth,” served as a town meeting for the public to engage with a robust group of panelists at the mid-town Manhattan Sheraton Hotel. The panel consisted of Cheryl “Salt” James of Salt-N-Pepa, Christopher “Play” Martin of Kid-N-Play, Cynthia Horner of Right On! Magazine and several other local hip-hop related outfits.

Salt, as a rapper with a wildly successful career, expressed difficulty growing older with hip-hop music with its increase penchant for vulgarity and violence.

“Since my time, it has gotten extremely negative. I find myself fighting the radio. The beats are infectious, the rhymes are infectious,” she said explaining that she now has children.

However, she said Queenbridge’s Nas represented a beacon of hope.

“Nas – god bless him. “I Can” is a positive record. We can be positive. We can change the face of hip-hop,” she said.

Play agreed, but told the audience that much of the perceived problem could be remedied if people analyzed and attached the underlying issues, not the results.

“We have to deal with the root. We are dealing with the fruit. Its crazy. The whole industry is an illusion,” he said often referring to his own trials as a member of rap duo Kid-N-Play.

Young rapper Somac from The Lyfe Project, a group of children emcees, adamantly said that kids are wooed by the influences of rap music.

“If my father isn’t teaching me, I am going to follow what’s on TV,” he said, “Hip-hop is the most influential tool. I am a leader, not a follower.”

Throughout the evening, one name continuously was brought up as an example of the ills and pleasures of the music –50 Cent.

Cynthia Horner of Right On!, a teen fanzine, said they they try to hold rappers accountable for lyrics and lifestyles.

“We haven’t interviewed 50 Cent but when we do, we are going to ask him ‘Why are you going around bragging about being shot nine times,” she said.

“If I was shot nine times, I’d be embarrassed.”

The evening concluded with Charles Fisher of Hiphopsync.com introducing family members of Jam Master Ja, namely his first born son Jason Jr. While Jason was nervous, he did manage to make a brief comment about 50 Cent, Jay’s former protégée.

“I can listen to 50, G-Unit. No matter what I listen to, I go home and do what’s right,” he said closing the evening.

Yeah they arent involved. They just wait for a white person to say something negative then react. Ignore black folks doing the same.
GOBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:28 PM   #26
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

I know with absolute certainty that the nation of islam sells bean pies.

And the popular rap no more represents what "hip hop culture" is about than the Backstreet Boys represented what the white youth was about in the 90s.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:31 PM   #27
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Also....Martin Luther King, Jesus, and Malcolm X could come back to life and hold a press conference on why rap is horrible and not change much of anything.

Music is music. People who dont "get" it have and always will blame the music of the youth for their problems. In the 50s Elvis was blamed for teen pregnancy.He was actually banned from some shows because he moved his hips in a sexual way. In the 60s and 70s hippie type music was partly blamed for drugs and the poork work ethic of the youth. In the 80s all those metal bands got hated on for preaching about the devil. Then it was NWA and Luke promoting violence and sexual behavior.

Music and what it does to society is, was, and always will be overblown by shortsighted "This is whats wrong with the world today!" do gooders without the common sense to see it is society changing that changes the music not the other way around.

People dont dress the way they do because of music. Music promotes the way kids dress because the kids grow up and make the music. Music doesnt make gangbangers do it. Gangbangers make the music and when it sells(mostly to white people by the way) people who arent gang types pretend to be to make a buck. Lil John didnt make people start getting "crunk" he saw people were doing it and made things for them to do it to.

Hip hop didnt do **** to the world. The world did **** to hip hop.

Rap music isnt only problem but it is an issue that needs to be addressed, the same as unemploymeny, poverty, promiscuious women, lack of father figures, drugs, self esteem problems and educational achievement issues.

If I hear any of my cousins singing songs pretty much calling themselves hoes Im going to start my own activist group.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:34 PM   #28
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
I know with absolute certainty that the nation of islam sells bean pies.

And the popular rap no more represents what "hip hop culture" is about than the Backstreet Boys represented what the white youth was about in the 90s.

please explain to me what hip hop culture is. Because I think a lot of people must be confused, and a lot of these confused people identify themselves with hip hop. Hip hop has culture has changed, no use trying to hold on to what it used to be.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:41 PM   #29
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Am I the only dude here who listened to the Backstreet Boys? Put it on soft when I was taking bubble baths. Very relaxing. Got my first girl cause I hypnotized her with the harmonic vocals of Brian and Jean Claude.

BTW, what were they the backstreet of?
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:41 PM   #30
Darius
Decent college freshman

Darius is a pretty well-respected posterDarius is a pretty well-respected posterDarius is a pretty well-respected poster

Anyone who doesn't think hiphop music and culture - as it currently stands - is handicapping black youth in American society is making a mistake.

I like hiphop but it makes me shudder with the way it shapes young kids.
Darius is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: