Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-11-2007, 11:42 PM   #31
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Default Re: Jason Whitlock speaks the TRUTH!!! (article -- MUST READ)

Its not white, black its green. Imus does what he does to boost ratings and in term sponsers latch on due to the popularity and amount of attention Imus generates so they can sell thier product. Only reason Imus is gone is because sponsers pulled thier commercials and others are threatening too.

Same reason with rap music altho sales have been down (probably due to downloading). Record companies sure arent stopping the content because it sells. Until the sales stop why would they tell them too?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:44 PM   #32
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:
Rap music isnt only problem but it is an issue that needs to be addressed, the same as unemploymeny, poverty, promiscuious women, lack of father figures, drugs, self esteem problems and educational achievement issues.

If I hear any of my cousins singing songs pretty much calling themselves hoes Im going to start my own activist group.

Know the song ive been playing the most recently? Cannon by Lil Wayne with Ti and Ludacris. Last time I saw my syster she was playing a bunch of Sean Paul. My wifes current favorite song is some bull**** by Missy and Lil Kim. Yet im doing great. My sister is about to graduate from college. And my wife is about a semesters work away from being a highschool english teacher.

The music you listen to doesnt set a limit for how well you can do.

The other issues are more widespread than anyone talking is gonna change.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:45 PM   #33
Darius
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

And the popular rap no more represents what "hip hop culture" is about than the Backstreet Boys represented what the white youth was about in the 90s.

Then what represents "hiphop culture"?

It sure as hell isn't Z-Ro and the Roots.
Darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:45 PM   #34
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xsatyr
Music describes people's culture to some extent and rap music at the moment is pretty embarrassing. His point is that there is a bigger enemy to blacks and that is their own people and to often they blame others, like THE MAN!
If "rap music is bad" wasn't his answer to all life's ills then I'd pay Whitlock some mind.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:47 PM   #35
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:
Anyone who doesn't think hiphop music and culture - as it currently stands - is handicapping black youth in American society is making a mistake.

I like hiphop but it makes me shudder with the way it shapes young kids.

Trust me on this one....any child more shaped by 50 Cent than their parents(Who grew up before rap became what it is) either had no potential to begin with or lost it because their parents are pathetic.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:51 PM   #36
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:
Then what represents "hiphop culture"?

It sure as hell isn't Z-Ro and the Roots.

Thats funny to me. the only Z-ro song ive ever heard I heard yesterday and it was called "I hate you biitch". He some kind of "deeper" rapper or what?
Old 04-11-2007, 11:54 PM   #37
Darius
Good college starter

Quote:
Trust me on this one....any child more shaped by 50 Cent than their parents(Who grew up before rap became what it is) either had no potential to begin with or lost it because their parents are pathetic.

We don't live in a perfect world where strong parents (or grandparents as is often the case in the black community) are always available to instill values that interface with society (I'm not saying that someone needs to live by those values but they should know what they are).

50 cent isn't hiphop culture anyhow, he is a pop artist.

I am talking about guys like Jeezy, Lil Wayne etc who perpetuate over and over again that the only aim in life is to "hustle", "get money" and then show it off.

I don't know how many victims I see with rims (which they leased) which are worth more than their car. That's not money which is going to child support or their kid's college fund.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:56 PM   #38
Darius
Good college starter

Quote:
Thats funny to me. the only Z-ro song ive ever heard I heard yesterday and it was called "I hate you biitch". He some kind of "deeper" rapper or what?

pretty much. He makes good music though... almost emo rap in some respects.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:10 AM   #39
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Quote:
We don't live in a perfect world where strong parents (or grandparents as is often the case in the black community) are always available to instill values that interface with society (I'm not saying that someone needs to live by those values but they should know what they are).

50 cent isn't hiphop culture anyhow, he is a pop artist.

I am talking about guys like Jeezy, Lil Wayne etc who perpetuate over and over again that the only aim in life is to "hustle", "get money" and then show it off.

I don't know how many victims I see with rims (which they leased) which are worth more than their car. That's not money which is going to child support or their kid's college fund.

I could probably write out half of Jeezys album and half of Waynes mixtapes from memory. My 3 year old son uses his keyboard to make basic beats because he likes rap. Yet ive never had a problem I couldnt think my way out of. And my son is learning math kids in 1st and second grade are learning. Parenting will always mean more to me than music. Someone not having good parents is an issue far bigger than can be blamed on music.

Music doesnt make anyone do anything.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:14 AM   #40
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
Did Sharpton or Jackson ever show up at a rapper's studio to talk to them about what they are doing?

I'm just asking. I don't know. I know they showed up at Imus' radio station, though.
Guess not.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:15 AM   #41
Darius
Good college starter

If you don't think music is an incredibly potent cultural force then I guess there is no starting point for discussion.

I will agree that good parenting is the key to everything but its not always there and that's when music can shift the way young people see the world.

I'm not knocking wayne and jeezy (well i'll knock jeezy because he isn't all that good) who I both like but theirmusic negatively effects black youth.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:19 AM   #42
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Did Sharpton or Jackson ever show up at a rapper's studio to talk to them about what they are doing?
Yes, and Minister Farakan (sure I misspelled his name) has actually bought fueding record labels into a meeting when their "beef" was becoming too literal and spilling off "wax" into real life. Again, Fox is never going to tell you that, and nor is Jason Whitlock though I guarantee he knows about it.
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:21 AM   #43
icemanfan
Local High School Star

Quote:
I could probably write out half of Jeezys album and half of Waynes mixtapes from memory. My 3 year old son uses his keyboard to make basic beats because he likes rap. Yet ive never had a problem I couldnt think my way out of. And my son is learning math kids in 1st and second grade are learning. Parenting will always mean more to me than music. Someone not having good parents is an issue far bigger than can be blamed on music.

Music doesnt make anyone do anything.

not true Blaze. Just because you are strong willed and strong minded does not mean all people are like you. Some idiots just buy the hype. Don't raise other folks to your level my friend. Stupidity is a killer. Hard to believe your son is three. Seems like it was a short while back you were announcing his birth. I am glad to hear things are going well with your son.
icemanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:21 AM   #44
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Quote:
Dropping knowledge? I've have enough of people trying to do that dealing with the 5 percenters
y u b tryn 2 dis mi culture?
itz bout 2 b on! dis iz y we b havn black on black crime
j/k
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:33 AM   #45
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Its not so much I assume everyone will do what I do. But I grew up with the kinds of people probably used to support the negative affect of hiphop. My cousin Andre...my best friend as a kid and teenager...hes doing 14 years on a drug charge. My little friend Maurice is in for murder. My cousin quincy just got out on like his 3rd charge of grand larceny. Not a one of them did what they did because of music. Andre like me needed money because he was helping raise his brother and sister by the time he was 13. Maurice has schizophrenia and has been off his medication for years. Killed his neighbor supposedly after the guy attacked him. But nobody believed it. Quincys mother is a crackhead, his fathr is dead, and all he had was his grandfather who died in about 93. He started stealing because he thought he had to. too proud to beg for help. became his life.

They might all listen to rap....but it doesnt make them do what they do.

Rap doesnt make drug dealers. Wanting money does. Rap doesnt make killers. People are what they are.

A "thug" is gonna be that no matter what Lil Wayne has to say about it.

Just because they listen to it doesnt mean if they didnt they all go work at Sears.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: