Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-11-2007, 11:41 PM   #46
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

fatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected posterfatboy11 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Jason Whitlock speaks the TRUTH!!! (article -- MUST READ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatZNasty
Yes, and Minister Farakan (sure I misspelled his name) has actually bought fueding record labels into a meeting when their "beef" was becoming too literal and spilling off "wax" into real life. Again, Fox is never going to tell you that, and nor is Jason Whitlock though I guarantee he knows about it.
Thanks.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:22 AM   #47
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year

DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool

And an excerpt from the end of the interviews
Quote:
Farrakhan: The two of you will heal so many wounds if you come together, wounds you don't even see. Suppose after that we organize a peace tour with you and 50 tearing up the country and the world. The youth will say, "He can clap back and then take it to another level." And let everyone go outta there feeling the power of their youth and strength and the newness of this young man who is really the formation of a whole new world. The Bible says, when the children of Israel came up under Pharaoh, God told Moses to let the old ones die out in the wilderness, and He would take their children and they would inhabit the promised land. I see the promise of everyone who died in slavery in you all. I see the strength in you, but I see that the generation needs direction. You have everything you need to become powerful except guidance, direction. If I can supply that, my brothers can go out and build a whole new reality for themselves and our people. And those three lovely children you have will never be at no graveside mourning because someone took out their daddy in the night over some foolishness. May God bless you, Ja. May God bless you, Irv. May God bless 50 and the crew that flows with him. May God bless hip-hop to rise to its full potential and make the youth of the world instruments of peace rather than instruments of death. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called children of God. Thank you all.

Here's the link http://www.mtv.com/bands/j/ja_rule/n...03/index.jhtml
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:31 AM   #48
JohnnyBravo5
Local High School Star

JohnnyBravo5 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da KO King
How shocking Jason Whitlock attacking Rap music when it has nothing to do with the issue.

He is just like Ken Hamblin, Star Parker and Ward Connerly who only contribution to society is to criticize black culture. In their zeal to show the white man that they aren't "down", they emphasize the lowest common denominator as if they are the norm in the black body politic. In the end, they fail to acknowledge the richness and beauty of black culture and how it has been a tremendous influence on society as a whole.
JohnnyBravo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:31 AM   #49
Vendetta
Banned

Vendetta has an OK reputation so far

All I know is that Imus' comments weren't that big a f*cking deal nor should they have been made out to be. Worse can be seen and heard on tv & radio in other places on a daily basis. Seriously, were the comments that big a deal?

Nappy headed hos? Grow the f*ck up. Are you ****ting me? Worse slurs are uttered on this board 20 times a day.

Damn it man... the media is in desperate need of a story.

PS, anyone who gets offended by his comments is a retarded nappy headed ho.
Vendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 09:58 AM   #50
Boh! Jackson
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Boh! Jackson has an OK reputation so far

I think it's shortsighted to blame the ills of society on music. Like the other guy said earlier in this discussion, they were doing they same thing with Elvis and Jerry Lee Lewis, Zeppelin and Sabbath, the Sex Pistols, Marilyn Manson and even electronic dance music. I call shenanigans. Bible thumpers and right-wing christians are the real problem in the U.S. They spread as much hate as anyone.

I also think it's ironic that Whitlock is saying anything about Imus, because he is basically the same guy, but just Black. He'll say whatever it takes to ruffle feathers, get his name out there, and piss off whoever he chooses, although he goes after black people just as much as he does white dudes. He is no Ralph Wiley.

(BTW I would kill to see him and Scoop debate this issue. Somebody set this up STAT!)

Imus is a retard and everyone with a brain knows that. So is Andy Rooney. Something about those 90-year-old white broadcasters I guesss. They are straight-up racists, and the world should know. What he said was wrong, stupid and there is no excuse.

But the whole blaming hip hop is equally stupid. There are hundreds of conscious artists out there who aren't gangsta and don't want to be. The best Lp of 2006 was Lupe Fiasco, and he's no thug. At the same time, if I want to bounce to Slim Thug in my ride, nobody better tell me I can't, because I like that ****. Sure, i think they are clowns with the diamond grills and all the theatrix, but the beats are tight and the flow is good and that's what sets me off sometimes. If I want a message in my music, I'll listen to Common.

It's up to the consumer to process what he is buying. Caveat emptor. Don't cry to the baker if your bread is stale.

And as for the thug rappers ruining the lifes of kids, give me a f@@kin break. The disintegration of the family unit is the issue. When kids don't have role models in the home to show them the way, that's where the problems begin.

AK
Boh! Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:06 AM   #51
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Whitlock is an ass
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:12 AM   #52
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo5
He is just like Ken Hamblin, Star Parker and Ward Connerly who only contribution to society is to criticize black culture. In their zeal to show the white man that they aren't "down", they emphasize the lowest common denominator as if they are the norm in the black body politic. In the end, they fail to acknowledge the richness and beauty of black culture and how it has been a tremendous influence on society as a whole.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:48 AM   #53
0ne50
Local High School Star

0ne50 has an OK reputation so far

SO LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT

When is come to race issues Jason Whitlock takes precedence over Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton?

WooooWW!

I bet his fat ass busted a gut when Rush Limbaugh went off on Donovan McNabb.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:11 AM   #54
JohnnyBravo5
Local High School Star

JohnnyBravo5 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ne50
SO LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT

When is come to race issues Jason Whitlock takes precedence over Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton?

WooooWW!

I bet his fat ass busted a gut when Rush Limbaugh went off on Donovan McNabb.

Whitlock is the Uncle Ruckus of the media.
JohnnyBravo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:41 AM   #55
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

This thread is a perfect example of society as a whole. You can see why in the real world the race issue won't ever go away just by reading this. lol
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:08 PM   #56
EricForman
Good college starter

EricForman has decent reputationEricForman has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Its not so much I assume everyone will do what I do. But I grew up with the kinds of people probably used to support the negative affect of hiphop. My cousin Andre...my best friend as a kid and teenager...hes doing 14 years on a drug charge. My little friend Maurice is in for murder. My cousin quincy just got out on like his 3rd charge of grand larceny. Not a one of them did what they did because of music. Andre like me needed money because he was helping raise his brother and sister by the time he was 13. Maurice has schizophrenia and has been off his medication for years. Killed his neighbor supposedly after the guy attacked him. But nobody believed it. Quincys mother is a crackhead, his fathr is dead, and all he had was his grandfather who died in about 93. He started stealing because he thought he had to. too proud to beg for help. became his life.

They might all listen to rap....but it doesnt make them do what they do.

Rap doesnt make drug dealers. Wanting money does. Rap doesnt make killers. People are what they are.

A "thug" is gonna be that no matter what Lil Wayne has to say about it.

Just because they listen to it doesnt mean if they didnt they all go work at Sears.

I think you're being a little naive by downplaying the influence/effect music and ultimately musicians (as role models) has on kids/youths/teens/early 20 somethings.

Just the other night I heard Tupac's Hit 'Em Up again for the first time in years, if you truly tell me music like that, where one guy basically talks about killing people, shooting people, does no more HARM WHAT SO EVER to the teenage mind/society than say, one of Mariah Carey's song. Then you're just naive. People love music, music is a expression of life. I love rock music and it has definitely influenced my fashion, the lyrics have been inspired me to make certain choices in life, everything. i'm sure hip hop/rap music has done the same for certain kids. The whole "gangster rapper" culture ISN'T a good thing. A song about shooting people and implying that "being a gangster" ISN'T A GOOD THING.

I'm tired of the defenders constantly saying "crime happens everywhere, with every race, it's not just the hip hop culture". PLEASE. Ask yourself this question:

If you have to carry alot of cash on you, and you're stranded in Los Angeles one late night with no ride. Which, of the following three areas, would you least want to be stranded in? A: Beverly Hills (White area), B: Monterey Park (Chinese area), C: Compton (Black area)

Guess what? 999 out of 1000 people would tell you they'd least want to be in the Black area. HELL, EVEN BLACK PEOPLE WOULD ANSWER the same. What, does that make all of us racist? NO, it's motherf*cking common sense. Now ask yourself, why is that? Why are Black people jsut more intimidating and have more of a negative reputation?

If you think it has nothing to do with hip hop culture, and that it's totally just "blind racism based on skin color", you're on drugs. There's a reason why people in America would discriminate Blacks more than say, Chinese, or Italians, and the reasoning is bigger than just "skin color". Stop pointing fingers, and look at the whole picture. Las Vegas has huge gathering/events all the time, but the one event that caused the most sh*t was the NBA weekend, Chinese events, UFC events, Fashion events, Music events, none have caused the ruckus that NBA weekend has. But if anyone ever makes the common sense connection and put 2 and 2 together as to why the NBA weekend caused more ruckus, they'd be labeled a "racist". that's just dumb.

The excuses are ridiculous, I've seen people here say Imus comment is WORSE than what those rappers say, "there is no comparison" says GoBB. WTF? "Nappy headed ho" is more destructive and worse than Tupac saying he's gonna kill people?

Last edited by EricForman : 04-12-2007 at 12:19 PM.
EricForman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:10 PM   #57
0ne50
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
This thread is a perfect example of society as a whole. You can see why in the real world the race issue won't ever go away just by reading this. lol
Wow it's easy to get banned these days. But you are right it seems people don't want the race issue to go away. They just keep finding ways to keep it going.

OOps am I being too opinionated? Oh well I guess I'll get banned sometime today too.

Last edited by 0ne50 : 04-12-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-12-2007, 12:31 PM   #58
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0ne50
Wow it's easy to get banned these days. But you are right it seems people don't want the race issue to go away. They just keep finding ways to keep it going.

OOps am I being too opinionated? Oh well I guess I'll get banned sometime today too.

the race issue isnt going to go anywhere until things change. Being quiet wont make things change, just as typing on messaage board wont. Until the problems I mentioned earlier are addressed there will always be a race issue.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:44 PM   #59
0ne50
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
Maybe they have spoken out against it but it hasnt been loud enough. What Imus did is a small thing in the grand scheme. It should open up a big forum within the black communtiy and between blacks and whites.

Imus should be dealt with accordingly...I say fire him and drag him through the media but thats just my opinion.

Actually i dont really care what happens to imus. I want this to open up discussion about why it is ok for rappers to totally degrade black women. This issue has to be brought up and now is as good a time as any. Like Chris Rock said a long time ago there is like a civil war in the black communty.

Honestly I cant stand most rappers and find them ignorant and hypocritical. Someone needs to calll them out on the damage they have done to the black community. But every1 seems scared too, I thought Opera was gonna do it but even she backed off(prob scared she would be called a sell out).

I dont see how us as a people arent hurt when we see our sisters and daughters singing and songs about women being h*** and b****.

Id be more impressed if Sharpton went after 50 cent and Ludacris than what he is doing now because the impact would be so much bigger. It might not be PC to say but blacks are behind the eight ball and progress is occurring to slow. Someone needs to step up and start a change.
Shapton went after 50 about two weeks about. Ban 50 Cent anyoue? it was all over the internet for two weeks straight. I have a lot of respect for Al Sharpton anyone who puts their life, reputation, and career on the line for others gets my utmost respect. As far as what you say about rap music. I'm tired of it too. I need cleansing myself if you know what I mean. But as far as leadiing the charge against racism I only see black leaders doing so. Alone they can only do so much. I would like to see leaders from other races leading the charge also. They only speakout, when something of this nature gets attention.

And later for all the people on the sidelines who has never stood up for anyone. Who has Jason Whitlock helped out? What does he stand for, he'll fall for anything as the saying goes. Just throw a twinky on the ground and watch him yell FUMBLE!
Old 04-12-2007, 12:44 PM   #60
dgilbert
Decent playground baller

dgilbert has no real reputation yet.

I also heard Whitlock on the fan 590 yesterday evening talking about his article. He raises a good point about fixing problems within the community. But, I don't see how he can justify giving this redneck Imus a free ride, by downplaying what he said as just a bad joke, and then in turn heap critizism on men like Sharpton for standing up for his people. He just came across as a huge sellout. If he had taken the approach of giving Imus what he deserved, and then in turn used the situation to shine the light on the problems in the african american community then that would've been fine, but to give the redneck a free pass, and jump all over the rednecks critics is just a joke.
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: