Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Orlando Magic Forum

Orlando Magic Forum Orlando Magic forum - Orlando Magic message board

Old 04-12-2007, 08:46 AM   #1
JMEWLS

Default our offseason

Off-season is coming, and i think Orlando have to make quiet a few moves. Also many things must be done. We have a lot of potential studs and can be a very good team. We just need to develop.

Some moves SHOULD BE:

Re-sign Dwight; but not at the HUGE contract he was rumored to get.

Fire Brian Hill; he's doing nothing for the team, the only thing he's really improved on is defensively.

Re-sign Jameer; but re-sign him at a much cheaper price. Make him know he's got to earn the money, he cant just let his potential do the talking.

Re-sign Grant Hill; he'll resign for cheap. He owes the team a few more seasons and i think he'll do it.

Resign Darko; i think make him earn the money. He's much in a situation like Jameer, he just cannot let potential do the talking.

Sign a very good scorer; someone like Gerald Wallace or Rashard Lewis. Both are relatively young, and both are very capable of scoring. I would much rather Gerald Wallace, more younger and can make a mark defensively.

Sign Mo' Pete; use our MLE on him. He's a great threat beyond the ark, and will do us wonders off the bench.

Some things the MUST BE DONE:

Open up Dwights offensive game; we cant just let him rely on his amazing athleticism, a nice mid ranged jump shot and better post game will do him wonders.

Improve Darko; we MUST improve his game, the whole package. Make him a better scorer, rebounder, passer and defender. He's gotta learn to be CONSISTENT, because inconsistency will not last you long here.

Improve Free-Throw shooting; where one of the worse free throw shooting teams, people like Ariza, Dwight and Darko are holding us down. Better free throw shooting will lead to wins, and more points.

Open up JJ Redick; right now, he's one of the best shooters in the team. But there's always room for improvement, he needs to learn to get to the rim. With JJ coming off the bench, he could potentially develop into a super 6th man.

Make Jameer a Point Guard; he's needs to develop a "pass-first" instinct. He cant just settle for a jumpshot, he's amazing at getting to the rim. But most of all, he's gotta improve his passing, he's gotta be a real PG.

feel free to add to the list.

JMEWLS.
Old 04-14-2007, 02:56 AM   #2
AtTheDriveIn
04'

Default Re: our offseason

I agree on most of it, but some bits i disagree on.

1. Dont sign Grant Hill back unless he's willing to sign for 2-3million, This way Orlando can begin to develop Trevor Ariza who looks to have HUGE potential to be a great player.

2. If you sign Darko for anything more then 6 million you wont have enough money for a good scorer such as Rashard Lewis.

Heres a list of players Orlando could sign if they don't get Rashard Lewis;
  • Derek Anderson- Charlotte
  • Matt Carroll- Charlotte
  • Jerry Stackhouse- Dallas
  • Flip Murray- Detroit
  • Yaroslav Korolev- LA Clippers
  • Mo Williams- Milwaukee
  • Jumaine Jones- Phoenix
  • Jalen Rose- Phoenix

Personally, I think that Orlando is in re-building stage, but they still manage to win games, thats why I think they could use someone like Yaroslav Korolev, because he has a lot of potential to be a great scorer. But on the other hand, they do need some veteran scorers and thats why I've listed Derek Anderson, Flip Murray and Jerry Stackhouse.

Also, I listed Mo Williams because I realize that PG situation in Orlando isn't working with Jameer, I'd try a sign and trade with another team, and then give it a crack at signing Mo because he has just been superb this year.

3. JM, you've said it before and i agree with you, Orlandos future players must get better. (Darko, Dwight and JJ). JJ Needs more playing time, Darko needs to learn to keep of the fouls and be more aggressive, not as just blocking but at all aspects of the game. Dwight needs most moves, without them he wont be more then a 18PPG player at best.

4. Keep Brian Hill, hes a defensive minded coach, and thats exactly what this team needs. Darko's a great blocker, Dwight's a great rebounder, Ariza is a great perimeter defender and the rest of the team is doing well on defense. With that said, JJ is the one weak spot, but i think that he can be taught to be play defense.

5. Get a draft pick in the first round!! I don't know how you might be able to do it, but just do it!

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

With all this, I think Orlando's projected lineup could be something like.

Starters
PG - Mo Williams
SG - JJ Reddick
SF - Trevor Ariza
PF - Darko Milicic
C - Dwight Howard

Young I know, but could be a very effective starting 5.

Bench
SG - Jerry Stackhouse - should be the sixth man Orlando needs.
PG - Backup PG traded for Jameer + Next years 2nd round Draft pick. (Duhon?) possibly.
SF - Hedo Turkoglu - Could be an effective man off the bench for Orlando
PF - Tony Battie - Should be the first Big of the bench on most nights, coming in for Dwight or Darko.
SG - Keyon Dooling - Back back-up PG and second SG of the bench.
SF - Grant Hill - I'd expect him to get a lot less minutes next year for the Magic, but still play a large part in the team.
PF - Second Round draft pick. - Hopefully it is someone 6'11 or over because Orlando does not look to have too many big players
PG - Carlos Arroyo - I don't like him, but i couldn't figure out what to do with him, so he's in here by default.

The bench isn't in order, but i'd expect/hope the lineup to look something like that.

Last edited by AtTheDriveIn : 04-14-2007 at 03:10 AM.
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 04:41 AM   #3
JMEWLS

^^ nice post.

I still stand by my opinion in firing Brian Hill. He draws up plays for Jameer or Dooling ect. When it should be for Dwight.

Also, down the stretch in games he's just lost us matches with his bad decision making.

Just look at what he's doing now, JJ's getting close to no minutes. Darko should be starting, but he isn't. Even James Augustine gets no minutes, i think he could develop into a pretty solid PF off the bench. But he gets completely no minutes ( probably most people reading this wouldn't even know his name.) But in saying that he should at least be able to close blowout games, or get even 5minutes a game.

Brian Hill cannot develop our young players, we need to give players like Darko and JJ and James minutes, but he just doesn't do it.
Old 04-14-2007, 05:46 AM   #4
AtTheDriveIn
04'

Thanks.

Thats why i didn't include Augustine, from what I heard before, he was supposed to be a pretty good player. But, I haven't seen him play at all, and i just assumed he wasn't much of a player so they didn't play him at all.

You're right about Darko, he should be starting and playing at least 28mins a game, and it's just not happening. But, to be honest, he does pick up stupid fouls and the team didn't have the greatest record with him starting games, so I don't know. I hope he does become better in the future.

Anyway, Do you have any other coaches in mind, if you don't think Brian Hill isn't a good coach for this team?

I hear Rick Carlisle might be available after this terrible season with Indiana.

Also, I've completely lost all faith in Jameer Nelson running the Orlando Magic because he just isn't a good point guard, they really do need a point guard before they need a scorer.
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:29 AM   #5
JMEWLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheDriveIn
Thanks.

Thats why i didn't include Augustine, from what I heard before, he was supposed to be a pretty good player. But, I haven't seen him play at all, and i just assumed he wasn't much of a player so they didn't play him at all.

You're right about Darko, he should be starting and playing at least 28mins a game, and it's just not happening. But, to be honest, he does pick up stupid fouls and the team didn't have the greatest record with him starting games, so I don't know. I hope he does become better in the future.

Anyway, Do you have any other coaches in mind, if you don't think Brian Hill isn't a good coach for this team?

I hear Rick Carlisle might be available after this terrible season with Indiana.

Also, I've completely lost all faith in Jameer Nelson running the Orlando Magic because he just isn't a good point guard, they really do need a point guard before they need a scorer.
I still believe that Jameer can be that starting PG. The only reason i believe is because of him playing at SG in College. I'll give him this 1 offseason, and hopefully he'll develop.

As for a coach for Orlando, Rick Carlisle i think could be a solid option for the Magic. He developed Jermaine O'neal, maybe he could do the same with Dwight Howard.

Also im not sure how available he is, but Stan Van Gundy could also be and option. Then there's Larry Brown.

I would seriously like to see am "ex-nba" player as a coach. Someone like Reggie Miller i think could be a very nice coach. But i doubt that would happen.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
wally_world
M0derator

start JJ Reddick and let him shoot lights out

need alot of work off-season though...
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 07:56 PM   #7
JMEWLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally_world
start JJ Reddick and let him shoot lights out

need alot of work off-season though...
JJ i still dont think is ready to be starting. In the future this will probably be a very possible choice. But unless Grant Hill leaves, i doubt that he's going to be starting.

I still would like him to be points off the bench.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: