Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 04-14-2007, 01:52 AM   #1
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here
Default Watching Barbosa and Cook makes me wanna punch Mitch in the face...

Cant believe he passed on Barbosa to get soft ass Cook. I mean, if memory serves correct, Ron Harper kept telling him to heavily consider taking Barbosa and dude just ****ed up.

Barbosa is at 17/4 off the bench and is 4th in three pters made...but yea in the words of the illustrious Mitch "Cook is a deadly shooter".
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:55 AM   #2
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Watching Barbosa and Cook makes me wanna punch Mitch in the face...

Like you told me a while ago sizzle. Mitch just wants someone to say "Mitch got a steal".
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:10 AM   #3
Perezident
Kings>>>Clippers

Perezident has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
Like you told me a while ago sizzle. Mitch just wants someone to say "Mitch got a steal".
lol dnt u just love the draft?? lol
Perezident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:22 AM   #4
m1sterb
Great young streetballer

m1sterb has not been impressing people

Isn't Mitch just a 'yes man' to Buss? Thats the way I always looked at it anyway. West kept probably having to tell Buss what he didn't want to hear despite him putting together kobe n shaq.

Makes me wonder if Mitch is really the problem...
m1sterb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:20 AM   #5
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Mr. Kupchak and Jimmy Buss will likely continue to guide this team to mediocrity. They don't know what they are doing. Knowing them, they will probably resign Smush to a max contract!

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:59 AM   #6
mariodeathgrip
incoherent!!!!

mariodeathgrip is considered somewhat coolmariodeathgrip is considered somewhat coolmariodeathgrip is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Mr. Kupchak and Jimmy Buss will likely continue to guide this team to mediocrity. They don't know what they are doing. Knowing them, they will probably resign Smush to a max contract!

Jimmy just does what his father says!!!! But Mitch is a gutless b*tch!!!! And That's my opinion!!! I hope that we have a shot of firing Mitch and bringing back West!!!!
mariodeathgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariodeathgrip
Jimmy just does what his father says!!!! But Mitch is a gutless b*tch!!!! And That's my opinion!!! I hope that we have a shot of firing Mitch and bringing back West!!!!

I wonder.. interesting point mario...

Has ANYONE heard any talk of Mitch Kupchak being replaced? I wonder what his perception is amongst other GM's and within Laker ownership?

I can only imagine what PJax thinks of him! haha

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 10:23 PM   #8
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

first you have to know that barbosa was drafted by the spurs and traded to the suns for a first round pick and some other euro player... barbosa at that time had been playing b league pro ball in brazil since 99 and had never done much, it wasn't until after his draft that he had a break out season in the summer of 2003 in the fiba americas tourney...

cook had put up real good numbers in school leading his team (illinois) averaging 20 points per game 8 rebounds ans 2 assists his senior season, winning the tribune silver award as the big tens most valuble player which is voted on by big ten coaches and was voted second team all american, so he didn't come without a nice pedigree... so if you want to hold someone responsible for cooks lack luster NBA career look at cook himself, if all you guys are going to make these bold statements regarding management you may want to learn some history before you start talking...

27 other teams passed up barbosa and the team that did pick him up traded him before the end of the day, so it's not like he was some hot property that gm's around the league couldn't wait to get their hands on...

Last edited by gts : 04-14-2007 at 10:28 PM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 11:07 PM   #9
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
first you have to know that barbosa was drafted by the spurs and traded to the suns for a first round pick and some other euro player... barbosa at that time had been playing b league pro ball in brazil since 99 and had never done much, it wasn't until after his draft that he had a break out season in the summer of 2003 in the fiba americas tourney...

cook had put up real good numbers in school leading his team (illinois) averaging 20 points per game 8 rebounds ans 2 assists his senior season, winning the tribune silver award as the big tens most valuble player which is voted on by big ten coaches and was voted second team all american, so he didn't come without a nice pedigree... so if you want to hold someone responsible for cooks lack luster NBA career look at cook himself, if all you guys are going to make these bold statements regarding management you may want to learn some history before you start talking...

27 other teams passed up barbosa and the team that did pick him up traded him before the end of the day, so it's not like he was some hot property that gm's around the league couldn't wait to get their hands on...

So Cook averages stellar numbers in college and its suddenly justified? If Cook's resume is so good, how come other teams passed him on? Ron Harper told Mitch to look at Barbosa....anyways:

Point is management screwed up more than once in the draft and those players that they drafted is what ultimately lead to this roster now...Cook over Barbosa and Josh Howard. Rush over Prince. Passed on Monta Ellis, Mo Williams. Those are some players I can think off at the top of my head. I'd have no problem with management messing up at times but at least come up big for once. Anyone one of those players I named above would make us waay better. But no, we have to endure busts that ultimately turned this team into what it is today -- not a very talented group that has little value. If you don't think management deserves criticism for using the draft the last several yrs to fill the team with Cook, Wafer, Rush, Sasha, Pinnock(wasted a second rounder on him that would be huge this yr) then I dont know what to tell ya

A lot of GMs screw up I get that and in the end, a lot of them are and should be criticized for it.

Last edited by hotsizzle : 04-14-2007 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:14 PM   #10
Soccer10
Banned

Soccer10 has an OK reputation so far

Don't get me started on this.

I wanted Barbosa so badly....so freaking badly. But no. They don't do it. Why draft someone that talented?

I was screaming for him. Screaming. But no.

Cook had no NBA potential. I don't care what his college stats were like. For some guys it's obvious that they don't have much NBA upside and Cook was one of them. Just a terrible freaking pick. At least Cook played more like a true PF in college but whatever.

To be fair though, I also wasn't thrilled with the Walton pick...and that did turn out pretty well, I must admit..

But Barbosa...damn. He's the guy I wanted BADLY.
Soccer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:13 AM   #11
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
So Cook averages stellar numbers in college and its suddenly justified?
err yeah...

a player puts up good numbers in college and you hope he does the same in the pros it doesn't always work out but it's not like the lakers took a wild shot on brian cook...in college he put up as in your words "stellar numbers" and he was the outside scoring threat they were looking for so they picked him... i'm putting the blame on cook and not management...

i'll put the blame on management for many things and missing out on some quality players but it really is a crap shoot when drafting, for every barbosa picked by one team there are alot more brian cooks drafted....

the NBA rosters are filled with more players who won't ever reach their pre draft potential than hidden diamonds pulled from thin air.... look at wests drafts before with the lakers and those of his in memphis, he has made a couple good picks and some real dogs too...
Old 04-15-2007, 12:39 AM   #12
gts
Sons of Antartica

These are the Lakers Drafts for 5 years Pre Mitch as a GM...

Chris Jefferies 2.9 pts per game and out in 2 seasons
Mark Madsen 2.5 pts per game in 6 seasons
Corey Hightower Never played one NBA Game
Devean George a good pick
John Celestand 2.3 points per game one season
Samuel Jacobson 4.2 pts per game 3 seasons
Ruben Patterson a good pick to bad they traded him away
John Bailey 3.3 pts per game 2 seasons
DeJuan Wheat 3.3 points per game 2 seasons same as bailey
Paul Rogers never played in an NBA regualar season game

With Mitch
Jordan Farmar could be a good NBA gaurd
Cheick Samb traded for evans from detriot
Andrew Bynum jury still out maybe maybe not
Ronny Turiaf good draft
Von Wafer yuck
Sasha Vujacic i don't know, better than a sharp stick in the eye
Marcus Douthit arrested on his way to sign contract, is he out of jail yet?
Brian Cook not so good a pick
Luke Walton good pick
Old 04-15-2007, 12:41 AM   #13
hotsizzle
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
err yeah...

a player puts up good numbers in college and you hope he does the same in the pros it doesn't always work out but it's not like the lakers took a wild shot on brian cook...in college he put up as in your words "stellar numbers" and he was the outside scoring threat they were looking for so they picked him... i'm putting the blame on cook and not management...

i'll put the blame on management for many things and missing out on some quality players but it really is a crap shoot when drafting, for every barbosa picked by one team there are alot more brian cooks drafted....

the NBA rosters are filled with more players who won't ever reach their pre draft potential than hidden diamonds pulled from thin air.... look at wests drafts before with the lakers and those of his in memphis, he has made a couple good picks and some real dogs too...

College numbers don't mean much. They're good to look at but its all about potential and how you play the game. Numbers in college are easily skewed by the system you play in.

Drafting players is a crucial step to building a successful franchise...I'd like to think more of it than just a crap shoot. Management isn't even utilizing draft day i.e. draft and trade scenario.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:58 AM   #14
gts
Sons of Antartica

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsizzle
College numbers don't mean much. They're good to look at but its all about potential and how you play the game. Numbers in college are easily skewed by the system you play in.

Drafting players is a crucial step to building a successful franchise...I'd like to think more of it than just a crap shoot. Management isn't even utilizing draft day i.e. draft and trade scenario.
i agree and of the 34 players drafted after cook how many would you say have become sucessful NBA players?

BOLD players that panned out or at least are playing ok enough
Players in Red never made a team

25. Detroit Pistons Carlos Delfino
26. Minnesota Timberwolves Ndudi Ebi
27. Memphis Grizzlies Kendrick Perkins
28. San Antonio Spurs Leandro Barbosa
29. Dallas Mavericks Josh Howard Wake Forest University

Round 2
Pick Team Player College
1. New York Knickerbockers Maciej Lampe
2. Cleveland Cavaliers Jason Kapono University of California, Los Angeles
3. Los Angeles Lakers Luke Walton University of Arizona
4. Miami Heat Jerome Beasley University of North Dakota
5. Los Angeles Clippers Sofoklis Schortsanitis
6. Milwaukee Bucks Szymon Szewczyk
7. Chicago Bulls Mario Austin Mississippi State University
8. Atlanta Hawks Travis Hansen Brigham Young University
9. Washington Wizards Steve Blake University of Maryland
10. New York Knickerbockers Slavko Vranes
11. Golden State Warriors Derrick Zimmerman Mississippi State University
12. Seattle Supersonics Willie Green University of Detroit Mercy
13. Orlando Magic Zaza Pachulia
14. Milwaukee Bucks Keith Bogans University of Kentucky
15. Houston Rockets Malick Badiane
16. Chicago Bulls Matt Bonner University of Florida
17. Denver Nuggets Sani Becirovic
18. Utah Jazz Maurice Williams University of Alabama
19. New Orleans Hornets James Lang
20. Indiana Pacers James Jones University of Miami
21. Philadelphia 76ers Paccelis Morlende
22. New Jersey Nets Kyle Korver Creighton University
23. Toronto Raptors Remon Van de Hare
24. Chicago Bulls Tommy Smith Arizona State University
25. Portland Trail Blazers Nedzad Sinanovic
26. Minnesota Timberwolves Rick Rickert University of Minnesota
27. Boston Celtics Brandon Hunter Ohio University
28. Dallas Mavericks Xue Yuyang
29. Detroit Pistons Andreas Gliniadakis

edit. i may have missed one or two but the bolded players are ones that i would take besides cook with what i know of their careers NOW not at draft time...

Last edited by gts : 04-15-2007 at 01:05 AM.
Old 04-15-2007, 01:58 AM   #15
hotsizzle
Superstar

We're not seeing eye to eye...I'm merely frustrated not only because of Cook but the example that Cook represents. Management not doing a decent job on draft day. One good decision and this team could be completely, completely different.

Anyways from that list Id take all those you bolded plus Zaza, Perkins, Delfino and James Jones over Cook. But like I said, Cook is a minor issue in this but he does represent how this roster is talent-less and invaluable.

Bad draft decisions, inactivity on draft day, and poor use of expiring contracts have diminished opportunities to make this roster better.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: