Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-13-2007, 12:54 PM   #1
D-Wade
Great college starter

Default OT - Ronaldo signs new 5 year deal with Man United

Cristiano Ronaldo today committed his long-term future to Manchester United and immediately set his sights on landing some silverware this season.

The Premiership's outstanding player this season, Ronaldo has long been courted by Spanish giants Real Madrid and Barcelona.

Only this week, it was suggested Real would be prepared to pay a world-record fee in excess of 50million for the 22-year-old.

Sir Alex Ferguson has continually stated Ronaldo was going nowhere and the player himself has always claimed his preferred option was to remain at Old Trafford.

Now Ronaldo has agreed a five-year contract which will keep him at United until 2012.

And, with the club still chasing a repeat of their unprecedented 1999 treble, Ronaldo wants to make sure he ends the season with some medals.

'I am delighted,' he said. 'I spoke with Sir Alex about my future and everybody knew that I wanted to stay.

'I am very happy at the club and I want to win trophies and hopefully we will do that this season.'

The former Sporting Lisbon star scored his first Champions League goals in the midweek rout of AS Roma, collecting another man-of-the-match award in the process.

He will be a major threat at Villa Park tomorrow as United look to beat Watford and book an FA Cup final appearance against either Chelsea or Blackburn at the new Wembley.

'It is fantastic news,' said Ferguson. 'It emphasises the point that Cristiano is happy here and that he is at the right club.

'He has a great relationship with the team, staff and the fans and he will go on to be one of Manchester United's great players.'

As a winger of world-class proportions himself, Ryan Giggs has nothing but admiration for the way Ronaldo has performed this season.

And the Welshman has no hesitation in backing those who claim the Portugal winger is the best player on the planet at present.

'I don't believe there is anyone who could rival him as being the best player in the world,' he said. 'For someone in his position, and of his age, to be as consistent as he has been, is remarkable.

'His performance have been brilliant.

'To secure his future for the next five years is great news for everyone.'

(re-opens) Giggs has nothing but admiration for the way Ronaldo has emerged from the adverse reaction he received after the World Cup. Most pundits believed the Portugal star would be hounded out of the Premiership given the criticism he received for his part in Wayne Rooney's dismissal during England's quarter-final defeat in Gelsenkirchen. However, like Eric Cantona and David Beckham before him, Ronaldo has responded with a series of mesmerising performances which have largely quietened the boo-boys. 'Sometimes situations like that make you as a player,' he said. 'You have seen that many times, especially at this club. It can drive you on. 'It is all about individual characters and the determination within themselves. Cristiano has shown that this season. 'The booing seems to have stopped to a certain extent because people respect the way he plays the game and respect the ability he has.'

Giggs does believe Ronaldo needs to maintain his current form for a few years before he can truly be bracketed with the all-time greats.

But the 33-year-old is adamant his young team-mate can get better.

'Cristiano has improved as a player and he is still improving, that is the scary thing,' he said. 'He isn't bothered by the challenges that face him.

'He can definitely get better. The thing he has to do now, is do it over the next 10 years and be consistent. Then he will be up there with the greats.'

ESPN.COM
D-Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 12:54 PM   #2
The_Masterplan
Banned

Default Re: OT - Ronaldo signs new 5 year deal with Man United

Hell Yeah Thats What Im Talking About.
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:00 PM   #3
gb8
Extra Cheese

GLORY GLORY MAN UTD. Now lets secure the premiership chelsea are just three points back and we still gotta play them.
gb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:01 PM   #4
D-Wade
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb8
GLORY GLORY MAN UTD. Now lets secure the premiership chelsea are just three points back and we still gotta play them.

We can class it 4 points infront because of out big goal difference
D-Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
eboloid
Flash Gordo

I'm pretty happy about this, but surprised Giggs is only 33. He's been around forever. Next they'll tell me Van der Sar and Scholes haven't hit 40 yet.
eboloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:23 PM   #6
bonez26
Local High School Star

Nice..this is good new for the Red Devils
bonez26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:27 PM   #7
gb8
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Wade
We can class it 4 points infront because of out big goal difference

Yea but we cant slip up too many games left. Just got done watching the highlights of the 7 1 trashing on sky sports xtra.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:29 PM   #8
FrenchDude
Decent playground baller

I'm surprised there is some soccer fans here =)

Although I'm not a red devil fan I think Ronaldo should never go to Madrid or Barcelone this summer. He has the perfect team in Manchester with another genius of his age, Rooney & Carrick, Ferdinand, Giggs ect..
FrenchDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:33 PM   #9
gb8
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchDude
I'm surprised there is some soccer fans here =)

Although I'm not a red devil fan I think Ronaldo should never go to Madrid or Barcelone this summer. He has the perfect team in Manchester with another genius of his age, Rooney & Carrick, Ferdinand, Giggs ect..

I would say we overpaid for carrick but he has been solid for us all year and buying english players is always more expensive. Rio has been solid aswell. I think with roney and ronaldo we probably have two of the best young players in the world not discounting messi in barca. If we win the treble it will be the greatest season of all time especially considering chelsea and mr abramavich buying trophys.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:39 PM   #10
dak121
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb8
I would say we overpaid for carrick but he has been solid for us all year and buying english players is always more expensive. Rio has been solid aswell. I think with roney and ronaldo we probably have two of the best young players in the world not discounting messi in barca. If we win the treble it will be the greatest season of all time especially considering chelsea and mr abramavich buying trophys.

And Man United don't? How many teams in Europe can spend 20 million on a slightly above-average player like Carrick? Or on Hargreaves like they're about to do this summer? They may not overpay like Chelsea, but Man U can throw some money around themselves.
dak121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:46 PM   #11
gb8
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by dak121
And Man United don't? How many teams in Europe can spend 20 million on a slightly above-average player like Carrick? Or on Hargreaves like they're about to do this summer? They may not overpay like Chelsea, but Man U can throw some money around themselves.

Yea we are a big club, one of the biggest in the world, but no way is our purse strings as loose as chelseas. I mean we lost out on ronaldhino a couple years back becuase the board wouldnt clear the money.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:47 PM   #12
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

I got to watch Ronaldo play in both the games against Roma and he's unbelievable. He's got swagger, confidence, and a Personality (like Kobe); which makes him very marketable, thats why he's worth the money.

One couldn't help but to be happy for him when he finally score against Roma, his facial expressions said it all.

The guy is super talented though. Out of the soccer that i've watched, he's got the quickest, for lack of a better word, "crossover" and he's got an amazing first step.

He's also like barbosa, in that he has amazing speed while in possession of the ball.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:49 PM   #13
jweezy
I brick open layups

there's only one Rolando which you can by first name. With Cristiano you still gotta put in the C.!
jweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:58 PM   #14
gb8
Extra Cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweezy
there's only one Rolando which you can by first name. With Cristiano you still gotta put in the C.!

I think ronaldo's time as the THE ronaldo is long gone.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:00 PM   #15
apriorist
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboi_baller
I got to watch Ronaldo play in both the games against Roma and he's unbelievable. He's got swagger, confidence, and a Personality (like Kobe); which makes him very marketable, thats why he's worth the money.

Kobe has no personality. He's too smug. He never says anything funny.
apriorist is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: