Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-14-2007, 05:39 PM   #1
D-Wade
Great college starter

Default Anyone near the Storms?

Just wondered wether anyone on here has been close to the storms that have been in Texas and other states.
__________________________________________________ ______

A severe weather system blamed for two deaths plowed eastward Saturday, rattling the Gulf states with strong thunderstorms as the Northeast prepared for possible coastal flooding.

The storm blew across the southern Plains on Friday, piling snow a foot deep in Kansas and raking Texas with high wind.

“I felt my house start shaking like the wind and I ran in here and grabbed my little girl,” Amanda Rymer, 21, said in Haltom City, Texas. “As soon as I moved her, the roof fell in right where she was standing.”

The storm tore roofs off houses in Rymer’s neighbor and destroyed porches and garages. About a dozen tractor-trailer rigs were blown onto their sides.

One man was killed in Fort Worth by a pile of lumber that fell on him from his truck during the storm, and a police officer in Irving died when his patrol car slid on wet pavement and struck a utility pole, authorities said.

By Saturday morning, the system was spreading rain from Louisiana to Virginia and across much of the Ohio Valley. Lines of strong thunderstorms rolled across Louisiana and Mississippi into northern Alabama.

‘Very odd for this time of year’
The weather system was forecast to strengthen when it reaches the East Coast on Sunday and form a nor’easter, a storm that follows the coast northward, with northeasterly wind driving waves and heavy rain.

This is very odd for this time of year,” National Weather Service meteorologist John Koch said Saturday in New York. “This is something that you would expect to see more in the middle of winter.”

A flood watch was posted for the New York City region, as the weather service forecast 2 to 4 inches of rain Sunday with wind gusting to 50 mph. Snow and sleet were possible inland, Koch said.

The combination of rain, onshore wind and the approach of one of the spring’s highest tides on Tuesday could add up to significant coastal surges, Koch said.

Forecaster Brian Korty said the entire eastern half of the country would feel the brunt of it in the coming days, calling it the kind of storm that happens “once every 20 years.”

Winds up to 25 mph were forecast for the Carolinas on Saturday before the storm was to hit the Northeast with heavy snow or rain by Sunday. Forecasters also warned of possible flooding.

‘Potential for a very bad storm’
The New York National Guard alerted units that might be needed for emergency work, and Long Island’s Suffolk County told emergency workers to be ready for possible duty.

“There is potential for a very bad storm,” said Joseph Williams, Suffolk County’s commissioner of fire, rescue and emergency services.

Snow continued falling Saturday in eastern Kansas, where some schools and businesses closed Friday as blowing snow created whiteout conditions. Nearly a foot of snow fell near Syracuse, Kan.

NASCAR Nextel Cup qualifying races at Texas Motor Speedway were halted and thousands of fans were advised to move to safety as tornado sirens blared at the speedway in Fort Worth.

A tornado was spotted near Bedford, a suburb between Dallas and Forth Worth, though no damage was reported, the National Weather Service said.
D-Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:42 PM   #2
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Default Re: Anyone near the Storms?

Its been stormin all day today and late last night hear in Houston.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:44 PM   #3
The_Masterplan
Banned

Ya it was storming and hailing pretty bad around 6 00 last night.

I was with my Dad at champs and they made us stand near the kitchen in case of a tornado but it was alright in a few minutes.
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:30 PM   #4
Amigo
Knicks Fan 4 Life

Here in NY we're expecting a Noreaster. I think it's the same one you guys are talking about. Should be here for a couple of days or so. I hate it when Spring plays with my emotions.
Amigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:47 PM   #5
Cool
NBA rookie of the year

Yea down here in Cali, the weather is great I dont know what you all are talking about. :)
Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 08:08 PM   #6
D-Wade
Great college starter

Storm does look crazy though. Thunderstorms and then snow and thats in April lol.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:22 AM   #7
different107
National High School Star

I wish Michigan had cool storms like that at least once a year. Without people dying and stuff though of course.
different107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:46 AM   #8
A Loyal NJ Fan
High school junior varsity star

Jersey's gonna get raped with rain tomorrow.
A Loyal NJ Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:21 AM   #9
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Its here....hopefully it ends by tonight.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #10
Eater
I airball my layups

in the storm now not that bad.
Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:14 PM   #11
IBLEEDGREEN43
Local High School Star

i live in new hampshire.. its comin down pretty hard here now, i guess we are supposed to get hit, too
IBLEEDGREEN43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:48 PM   #12
D-Wade
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBLEEDGREEN43
i live in new hampshire.. its comin down pretty hard here now, i guess we are supposed to get hit, too

How is it in New Hamp at the minute?
Old 04-15-2007, 03:41 PM   #13
D-Wade
Great college starter

NEW YORK - Airlines canceled 300 flights Sunday as a hard-blowing nor'easter gathered strength along the East Coast and threatened to deliver some of the worst shore flooding in 14 years.

The storm, already blamed for five deaths on the Plains, also flooded people out of their homes in the middle of the night in West Virginia.

The cancellations at the New York area's three major airports affected most carriers, said Steve Coleman, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey. More cancellations were expected throughout the day.

Meteorologists expected sustained wind of 40 mph and a storm surge of 3 to 5 feet, a combination that could cause as much coastal damage to New York's Long Island as a winter storm that wreaked havoc there in late 1992, Gov. Eliot Spitzer said.

The 1992 storm also caused millions of dollars worth of damage to low-lying areas on the New Jersey shore, and on Sunday some residents of those areas were packing up to leave.

"This is going to be bad," Shaun Rheinheimer said as he moved furniture to higher spots at his house on New Jersey's low-lying Cedar Bonnet Island. Streets were beginning to flood by late morning and waves splashed over bulkheads into backyards.

Heavy rain and thunderstorms extended from Florida up the coast to southern New England on Sunday and the National Weather Service said Washington's Reagan National Airport had measured 1.43 inches of rain.

The weather service posted storm warnings and watches all along the East Coast, with flood warnings extending from Virginia north to the New York area. Winter storm warnings were in effect for parts of New England and eastern New York state.

The storm also caused flooding in the mountains of southern West Virginia, where emergency services personnel rescued nearly two dozen people from homes and cars in Logan and Boone counties early Sunday. Two people were unaccounted for.

"It's about as bad as it can get," said Logan, W.Va., Fire Chief Scott Beckett. "This thing came down at 2 or 3 in the morning, when people were sleeping in their beds. They just didn't know what was happening."

Some remained trapped in their homes because roads were blocked by high water or mud, said Dean Meadows, Wyoming County emergency services director.

Two people in Matheny were injured when they drove into high water and their truck became lodged under a bridge, Meadows said. Firefighters sliced the top off the truck to rescue the people, who were taken to Raleigh General Hospital. Their conditions were unknown.

In central Florida, a tornado touched downed near a mobile home park in Dundee damaging some of the homes, police said. No injuries were reported.

Two to 4 inches of rain was forecast for the New York City region with wind gusting to 50 mph. The weather service said as much as 20 inches of snow was possible at higher elevations of New York's Adirondacks by the time the storm passes late Monday and Tuesday.

Spitzer said some low-lying areas of Long Island may need to be evacuated, and he deployed 3,200 members of the National Guard to potential flood areas. Ferry service to Fire Island, off the south shore of Long Island, was halted, and New York City opened nine emergency storm shelters in flood-prone locations.

Pennsylvania and Connecticut officials were opening emergency operations centers, Pennsylvania in anticipation of heavy snow and Connecticut because of the threat of coastal flooding. New Jersey made preparations for heavy snow in the state's northwest corner and flooding elsewhere.

"We're kind of all sitting back, getting prepared and hoping it doesn't get as bad as it has been in different parts of the country," said James Thomas, Connecticut's emergency management commission.

The storm also rained out Sunday's Washington Nationals game with the New York Mets at New York's Shea Stadium. Last weekend, snow dumped by another major storm system wiped out scheduled Mariners-Indians games at Cleveland for four straight days.

The storm had been blamed for five deaths as it blew out of the Plains late in the week, two in violent thunderstorms in Texas and three on slippery roads in Kansas, where more than a foot of snow fell. Two tornadoes caused damage Friday in Texas.
Old 04-15-2007, 04:00 PM   #14
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Wade
How is it in New Hamp at the minute?

snowin' like a mofo outside, we're supposed to get about 8 inches of snow...Up north in the mountains they're expecting 1-2 feet: in april...
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:55 PM   #15
D-Wade
Great college starter

Some Pictures, crazy for April!

Danville, West Virginia

Danville

Coney Island boardwalk in New York

Coney Island boardwalk in New York

Great South Bay crashes near a house during a spring storm in Babylon, New York,

Portland, Maine

A major spring storm dumped over a foot of snow postponing the seasonal baseball opener at Hadlock Field in Portland, Maine

Brunswick, Maine

Bowdoin College in Brunswick, Maine,

Last edited by D-Wade : 04-15-2007 at 06:03 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: