Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2015, 08:42 PM   #16
Le Shaqtus
Go Pack Go
 
Le Shaqtus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sunshine State
Posts: 5,890
Default Re: why is anime so weird?

Some anime isn't really weird. Although I don't watch enough to have a say.

Watched some Samurai Champloo today, still holds up pretty well.
Le Shaqtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:43 PM   #17
sammichoffate
Land o' Lakes
 
sammichoffate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Slowpoke Well
Posts: 5,274
Default Re: why is anime so weird?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Shaqtus
Some anime isn't really weird. Although I don't watch enough to have a say.

Watched some Samurai Champloo today, still holds up pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzGfnNYDovQ
sammichoffate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 08:51 PM   #18
oarabbus
3-time NBA All-Star
 
oarabbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 10,331
Default Re: why is anime so weird?

Yo Ren and Stimpy and plenty of US cartoons are weird as f_ck too
oarabbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:00 PM   #19
Achilleas
Local High School Star
 
Achilleas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,282
Default Re: why is anime so weird?

simple some anime is for 5 years old
and other animes that we watch is for over 18,like attack on titan,death note
Achilleas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:17 PM   #20
Hamtaro CP3KDKG
MOBB
 
Hamtaro CP3KDKG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 10,144
Default Re: why is anime so weird?

The Jap are weird and wack AF in general. Look at their non cartoon TV shows or porn
Hamtaro CP3KDKG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:18 PM   #21
Cactus-Sack
Banned
 
Cactus-Sack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Titty game Dude Love
Posts: 8,144
Default Re: why is anime so weird?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarabbus
Yo Ren and Stimpy and plenty of US cartoons are weird as f_ck too
But not the kind of "weird" that dudes jack off to.
Cactus-Sack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:42 PM   #22
LJJ
Extra Cheese
 
LJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,017
Default Re: why is anime so weird?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammichoffate
That only makes up for a genre of anime. There's a ton of anime that literally makes you think about your life and your decision-making. Series like Ghost in the Shell and Cowboy Bebop have literally nothing to do with 13 year old boys who are just finding out about tits.

It's "a genre" of anime that compromises about 95% of the material produced. Even the stuff you mentioned, they are among the rare kind that is not fully focused on 13 year olds, but definitely made to at the very least appeal to teenage boys as much as adults. Hell, I remember watching Cowboy Bebop when I was 15.

Just because it's made for a certain demographic doesn't mean it's not quality ( even if the vast majority of anime is pretty dumb) and doesn't mean you are wrong to enjoy it if you don't belong to that demographic. I'd watch a nice anime like Samurai Champloo with good storytelling and beautiful animation over the meandering, pointless and unfunny sitcoms my girl likes to watch any day;

But yeah, anime is weird mostly because it's aimed at young, lonely teenage boys. I don't know why some anime fans wanna pretend like the average businessman in Japan is watching Naruto. There is certainly not a whole industry build around making anime for adults, that's very niche. That said, my 30 year old sis still reads Harry Potter. Tons of adults out there still enjoy seeing the Lion King. It's fine to enjoy something juvenile every now and then, the problem is if you are obsessed with it or make it your main hobby. That's when you start becoming weird.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:46 PM   #23
Jameerthefear
Paid shill
 
Jameerthefear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Swimming in cash
Posts: 38,601
Default Re: why is anime so weird?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
It's "a genre" of anime that compromises about 95% of the material produced. Even the stuff you mentioned, they are among the rare kind that is not fully focused on 13 year olds, but definitely made to at the very least appeal to teenage boys as much as adults. Hell, I remember watching Cowboy Bebop when I was 15.

Just because it's made for a certain demographic doesn't mean it's not quality ( even if the vast majority of anime is pretty dumb) and doesn't mean you are wrong to enjoy it if you don't belong to that demographic. I'd watch a nice anime like Samurai Champloo with good storytelling and beautiful animation over the meandering, pointless and unfunny sitcoms my girl likes to watch any day;

But yeah, anime is weird mostly because it's aimed at young, lonely teenage boys. I don't know why some anime fans wanna pretend like the average businessman in Japan is watching Naruto. There is certainly not a whole industry build around making anime for adults, that's very niche. That said, my 30 year old sis still reads Harry Potter. Tons of adults out there still enjoy seeing the Lion King. It's fine to enjoy something juvenile every now and then, the problem is if you are obsessed with it or make it your main hobby. That's when you start becoming weird.
again, please stop posting
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:50 PM   #24
LJJ
Extra Cheese
 
LJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,017
Default Re: why is anime so weird?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
again, please stop posting

Don't worry breh. You still have time to get a bit older, start getting girlfriends and such. Everything's gonna be okay!
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:02 PM   #25
Jameerthefear
Paid shill
 
Jameerthefear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Swimming in cash
Posts: 38,601
Default Re: why is anime so weird?

i know it's fun to talk about things and act like u know what ur talking about but it isnt fun 4 everyone else
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:17 PM   #26
LJJ
Extra Cheese
 
LJJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15,017
Default Re: why is anime so weird?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
i know it's fun to talk about things and act like u know what ur talking about but it isnt fun 4 everyone else

I know it's not fun for you right now, but pinky promise things will get better some day.

Some day.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:27 PM   #27
DeuceWallaces
NBA Legend
 
DeuceWallaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 18,413
Default Re: why is anime so weird?

The publications for young boys by far dominate sales. It's a hobby for boys. Boys are weird.

And even Ghost in the Shell and Bebop are mostly watched by boys. I haven't watched either since I was 16.

That shits all for kids. Eventually you're just not interested.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:29 PM   #28
sammichoffate
Land o' Lakes
 
sammichoffate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Slowpoke Well
Posts: 5,274
Default Re: why is anime so weird?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJJ
It's "a genre" of anime that compromises about 95% of the material produced. Even the stuff you mentioned, they are among the rare kind that is not fully focused on 13 year olds, but definitely made to at the very least appeal to teenage boys as much as adults. Hell, I remember watching Cowboy Bebop when I was 15.

Just because it's made for a certain demographic doesn't mean it's not quality ( even if the vast majority of anime is pretty dumb) and doesn't mean you are wrong to enjoy it if you don't belong to that demographic. I'd watch a nice anime like Samurai Champloo with good storytelling and beautiful animation over the meandering, pointless and unfunny sitcoms my girl likes to watch any day;

But yeah, anime is weird mostly because it's aimed at young, lonely teenage boys. I don't know why some anime fans wanna pretend like the average businessman in Japan is watching Naruto. There is certainly not a whole industry build around making anime for adults, that's very niche. That said, my 30 year old sis still reads Harry Potter. Tons of adults out there still enjoy seeing the Lion King. It's fine to enjoy something juvenile every now and then, the problem is if you are obsessed with it or make it your main hobby. That's when you start becoming weird.
You described it perfectly. Reason why mainstream anime is in it's current state is because the main genre is shonen, or aimed at a demographic of teen/early adulthood boys. It's such a large part of the industry that it represents the typical anime to a first-time watcher, which turns people off. You're right, i'd rather watch anime like Bebop over Naruto because it's way shorter, it tells a better story, it has better characters, music, and just has more quality even though it was made almost two decades ago. One Piece has had over 900 episodes or something, the fact that I don't even know makes it more sad. People's obsession over anime is similar to here in the US with bronies and shit, they find it comfortable to enjoy "weird" genres like ecchi because they have trouble adjusting to society here in the states or because of deep, psychological issues.
sammichoffate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:36 PM   #29
sammichoffate
Land o' Lakes
 
sammichoffate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Slowpoke Well
Posts: 5,274
Default Re: why is anime so weird?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
The publications for young boys by far dominate sales. It's a hobby for boys. Boys are weird.

And even Ghost in the Shell and Bebop are mostly watched by boys. I haven't watched either since I was 16.

That shits all for kids. Eventually you're just not interested.
Yeah, because you totally understood the themes of both shows while you were 16 ... Anime is more than mother****ers fighting each other 24/7 like a bunch of mindless mongoloids.
sammichoffate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:38 PM   #30
DeuceWallaces
NBA Legend
 
DeuceWallaces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 18,413
Default Re: why is anime so weird?

Don't assume everyone was a dumbass in high school just because you were.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 PM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy