Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Boston Celtics Forum

Boston Celtics Forum Boston Celtics message board - Boston celtics fan forum

Old 07-02-2006, 08:43 AM   #1
Snoopy
I brick open layups

Snoopy has an OK reputation so far
Default The Trade - For Or Against?

i get a feeling like its a 50/50 split between people who want to see how the kids do, or those who wanna trade away the future for a couple of early playoff exits with AI (no bias here of course). Whats the deal celtics fam? we cant have our cake and eat it too, lets settle this.
Snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 09:35 AM   #2
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

It depends on who/what we give up for him. For instance, after watching some Gerald Green highlight footage literally a few seconds ago, I don't want to lose both him and Al for the 2-3 years AI has left of great ball. One of them, Wally, Rajon or Sebastian, and maybe a future first, would be all I'd give.
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 01:52 PM   #3
Real Men Wear Green
Don't panic.

Real Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReal Men Wear Green is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Saw these on the blog:
Real Men Wear Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2006, 07:12 PM   #4
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

I thought it would be really weird to see Iverson in any other jersey, but to me, he looks normal in green.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:37 AM   #5
funky2dope
I airball my layups

funky2dope has an OK reputation so far

I agree with above. I REALLY want to see AI in green, I have been a fan of his toughness and endeavour for a long time. BUT I wouldn't want to give up both Jefferson and Green for him. I'm happy if we can give up Wally, Jefferson and picks/cash. I want to hang on to Gerald more than Al. Not only will we keep the youth movement, AI / Pierce in the backcourt will take us into the 2nd round of the playoffs, therefore adding to the experience Perkins, West, Allen, Gomes, Telfair and Green are getting.

I'm a big supporter of doing whatever it takes to get Iverson, that DOESN'T involve Gerald Green or Paul Pierce.
funky2dope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:28 AM   #6
Small Wonder
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Small Wonder has an OK reputation so far

I am a huge A.I fan...... thats why I don't like this trade. He'll come to Boston and get bounced in the first round, I want to see this guy get a ring.

With all that said I am all for getting Wally and Telfair out of there.
Small Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:56 AM   #7
Snoopy
I brick open layups

wally needs to get out but telfair??????? huh? that kid can play and he'll fit in perfectly with the youth movement, him and pierce are gonna enjoy playing together for sure
Old 07-04-2006, 11:50 PM   #8
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

XxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation hereXxNeXuSxX has an incredible reputation here

Simply put, if Gerald Green, Al Jefferson, and Paul aren't involved, WHY THE HELL NOT?!
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:21 AM   #9
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here

^Exactly. As long as those 3 aren't involved.
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 04:15 PM   #10
Put Back Dunk
TOMMY POINT!

Put Back Dunk has an OK reputation so far

Yeah it all depends on who we have to give up to get him.

But regardless if an AI trade doesn't happen I think Danny will trade for at least one all star caliber player before the deadline this year. When Danny was on WEEI last week and he was asked about AI and JO he started to give the company line type of answer but first added that there are more names than just those that are available. I'm starting to think that Pierce resigning, or at the very least staying for next season considering he has a player option hinges on Danny brining in another all star, or even a guy that's close to being an all star like Rashard Lewis.

Last edited by Put Back Dunk : 07-06-2006 at 03:41 PM.
Put Back Dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 11:42 PM   #11
Snoopy
I brick open layups

If we trade for Jermaine O'Neal then it probably doesnt matter whether al is in the trade package or not, and i do think that if we got o'neal we'd make it further in the playoffs than we would with an AI/PP duo
Old 07-06-2006, 12:55 AM   #12
SixerFan03
High School JV MVP

SixerFan03 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Wonder
I am a huge A.I fan...... thats why I don't like this trade. He'll come to Boston and get bounced in the first round, I want to see this guy get a ring.

With all that said I am all for getting Wally and Telfair out of there.
Yea, I agree. That's why I don't want to see him on the Celtics. Golden State would be worse.
SixerFan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:06 PM   #13
Celts34
Kiss my converse!!!

Celts34 has an OK reputation so far

I'm against trading for AI. Just don't think getting him outweighs what we'd have to give up. In all honesty I was for it until I heard that Jefferson and Green would have to go. The only thing we can hope for is that Danny can get a three or four team deal going, because we'd have to give up alot less then if we outright traded with Philly.
Celts34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:58 PM   #14
Put Back Dunk
TOMMY POINT!

Put Back Dunk has an OK reputation so far

I can understand why you would be against trading for AI, personally I'm for it if we don't have to give up that much. If we were able to get him for at the most Wally, Rondo and Green I would be for it. I think Green is a shoe-in to be a star, but I also think that getting Iverson now to pair with Pierce, Delonte and also Al and Perk in the frontcourt (I really believe will both make tremendous strides this year) would make us a contender.

However, as I said in the Might Shamrock AC, we're very limited in the ways that we can trade for Iverson anyway due to having to match his contract. Either you gotta trade away Wally and a handful of young guys (which would be too much to give up and I dont' think Danny would do it), or Wally and a couple young guys plus Scal (and no one's taking on Scal), OR a bigger trade inclduing Wally, Ratliff, and a couple young guys with Iverson and another player coming back in return. The last option is the one that makes the most sense for both us and Philly IMO but I seriously doubt it would happen. So it looks like there's little to no chance that Iverson will be in Celtic green next season.

EDIT: I just read your post in the MIghty Shamrock AC thread as well and the last paragraph hit me like a ton of bricks. Bringing AI on board for a couple of years and being a "contender" as I put it but not good enough to bring home #17 and watching the guys become star somewhere else would be an absolute nightmare.

Last edited by Put Back Dunk : 07-06-2006 at 04:06 PM.
Put Back Dunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 04:32 PM   #15
Celts34
Kiss my converse!!!

Celts34 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Put Back Dunk
EDIT: I just read your post in the MIghty Shamrock AC thread as well and the last paragraph hit me like a ton of bricks. Bringing AI on board for a couple of years and being a "contender" as I put it but not good enough to bring home #17 and watching the guys become star somewhere else would be an absolute nightmare.

Ultimately thats what must be weighed. I keep going back and forth on the trade mainly because I have become used to rebuliding and developing young talent. But Ai would make the Celts marketedly better, especially in today game where contact on the perimeter is absolutely discouraged. I've read or heard about 20 different scenarios and alot of them involve both Gerald and Big Al. The biggest problem with this trade is that there just too many variables right now, I guess it all depends on what we have to give up. The best case scenario is somehow keeping Al and Gerald(even [and this hard for me to say because I love the guy] if that means losing Delonte) while becoming a 45+ win team. That way in two years all the young guys have won, contributed to a successful team, and are ready to take off.
Celts34 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: