Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-16-2007, 01:48 AM   #1
konex
3-time NBA All-Star

konex is considered somewhat coolkonex is considered somewhat coolkonex is considered somewhat cool
Default Duncan comments about Crawford (this is getting good)

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/nba...rn=nba ,29405

Quote:
Duncan's diatribe

By Adrian Wojnarowski

Monday, Apr 16, 2007 12:27 am EDT

DALLAS -- The rage rises without compromising the composure of Tim Duncan. This is the coolness of the San Antonio Spurs star, the calculating nature of a mind that rarely acts without considering the consequences. This made the words tumbling out of his mouth Sunday so startling because Duncan isn't one of those stars who throws out empty accusations.

In his own calm, measured way, Duncan was seething over the way official Joey Crawford, with what appeared to be virtually no provocation, tossed him out of Sunday's 91-86 loss to the Mavericks.

"Joey knew exactly what he was doing," Duncan said Sunday. "He came into this game with a personal vendetta against me. It had to be. Because I didn't do anything the entire the game."

Within a 76-second span of the third quarter, Crawford hit Duncan with two technical fouls, both coming while the All-Star was sitting on the bench. Duncan got the second "T" while he laughed and kidded with teammate Robert Horry.

"He's obviously got a personal problem with me," said Duncan, who sustained just the second ejection of his career.

Duncan insisted that the only words he exchanged with Crawford had been after failing to get a call on a shot against Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki. Duncan said that he told the official, "I got fouled on the shot," and had nothing else to say to him until he got ejected.

What's more, Duncan insisted that Crawford became so belligerent with him on the floor that he challenged him to a fight.

"He looked at me and said, 'Do you want to fight? Do you want to fight?' " Duncan said. "If he wants to fight, we can fight. I don't have any problem with him, but we can do it if he wants to. I have no reason why in the middle of a game he would yell at me, 'Do you want to fight?' "

Before Duncan delivered these charges at his locker after the game, Crawford defended himself to a pool reporter. When it was suggested that Duncan believed he had said nothing to deserve the ejection, Crawford said, "That's his opinion. He said nothing when he was walking off the court and he called me a piece of [blank]? Is that nothing?"

"... He's complaining. He was constantly complaining. He was complaining when he was on the court. Then he got on the bench and kept doing the same stuff. So I just ejected him."

Unlike Duncan, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich wanted no part of a fine for ripping Crawford. He insisted that he would talk directly with the league office Monday. Nevertheless, the Spurs' pursuit of Phoenix for the Western Conference's No. 2 seed ended, and they are locked into the third spot and a series with streaking No. 6 seed Denver. San Antonio still had a chance to steal the game in the fourth quarter but couldn't hold back the Mavericks.

Afterward, Duncan wasn't thinking about Dallas, or Denver, just Crawford. The Spurs had won 12 of 13 games before Sunday's loss, with a defeat to the Pacers being the only blemish during that run. That had been a night when Crawford gave Duncan a technical foul. Maybe that was where all this had started, Duncan wondered. Nevertheless, Duncan went a long way Sunday to throw the onus on Crawford should he end up officiating the Spurs in the playoffs.

"I don't know what else he wants me to do? If he wants camera time, he's going to call the techs and get the camera time he wants," Duncan said. "... I guess I can't laugh anymore. I guess I can't enjoy the game anymore. I've got to sit there and put my head between my legs."

Crawford has to be suspended, right?

Last edited by konex : 04-16-2007 at 01:53 AM.
konex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:57 AM   #2
joe lucky
Decent playground baller

joe lucky has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Duncan comments about Crawford (this is getting good)

wows this is shaping up to be an interesting subplot for San Antonio's playoff series. Joey Crawford vs. Tim Duncan. I guess they have to give the fans something besides the shellacking the Nuggets are going to get from the Spurs.
joe lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 01:57 AM   #3
TDMVPDPOY
I brick open layups

TDMVPDPOY has an OK reputation so far

no, this is goin to be a main event next year ASG, fight fight fight
TDMVPDPOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:00 AM   #4
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

Duncan is awesome

NBA should really take this into consideration though and not allow Crawford to officiate any SAS games.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:02 AM   #5
AtTheDriveIn
04'

AtTheDriveIn has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
"Joey knew exactly what he was doing," Duncan said Sunday. "He came into this game with a personal vendetta against me. It had to be. Because I didn't do anything the entire the game."

Didn't Iverson say that refs were out to get him and then got suspended? anyone think the same thing will happen to Duncan?
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:02 AM   #6
Kobe24
Banned

Kobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat coolKobe24 is considered somewhat cool

Who said Duncan was boring?
Kobe24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:04 AM   #7
FabCasablancas
Banned

FabCasablancas has decent reputation

I don't really see what the problem is.. Duncan was clearly trying to show up the officials.. i think it honestly makes more sense to eject someone for what Duncan was doing than to T someone up who was reacting dramatically to a bad call when it happens and you are playing. That's just an emotional reaction.. what Duncan is doing is more of a conscious choice.. imagine if whole teams did what Duncan was doing.
FabCasablancas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:05 AM   #8
KIWI

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotsizzle
Duncan is awesome

NBA should really take this into consideration though and not allow Crawford to officiate any SAS games.

im praying that he doesn't
Old 04-16-2007, 02:07 AM   #9
Free
Great young streetballer

Free has an OK reputation so far

[quote=FabCasablancas]I don't really see what the problem is.. Duncan was clearly trying to show up the officials.. i think it honestly makes more sense to eject someone for what Duncan was doing than to T someone up who was reacting dramatically to a bad call when it happens and you are playing. That's just an emotional reaction.. what Duncan is doing is more of a conscious choice.. imagine if whole teams did what Duncan was doing.[/QUOTE\

Seriously, what's so wrong with laughing? Guys do it all the time when the refs make a bad call.
Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:11 AM   #10
Borat
very niiice

Borat has an OK reputation so far

Duncan was being a smarta$$
he shouldn't be ejected for that - Joey should have just said to him 'dont be a smart a$$ or I will eject you"

problem would have been solved
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:23 AM   #11
sbw19
Decent college freshman

sbw19 has decent reputation

Quote:
Duncan was being a smarta$$
he shouldn't be ejected for that - Joey should have just said to him 'dont be a smart a$$ or I will eject you"

Hard to do when you're drunk with power and you have D. Stern's blessings to act on infantile whims. At least this game doesn't mean much, otherwise it'd have been an outrage.
sbw19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:24 AM   #12
cplusplus22
Banned

cplusplus22 has an OK reputation so far

duncan vs crawford would be a great ufc fight
cplusplus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:58 AM   #13
Soccer10
Banned

Soccer10 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe24
Who said Duncan was boring?

He's not good though..

Quote:
"He looked at me and said, 'Do you want to fight? Do you want to fight?' " Duncan said. "If he wants to fight, we can fight. I don't have any problem with him, but we can do it if he wants to. I have no reason why in the middle of a game he would yell at me, 'Do you want to fight?' "

This was kinda weak...
Soccer10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:06 AM   #14
shadow
Laker fan here

shadow is considered somewhat coolshadow is considered somewhat cool

so this year we had charles vs bavetta at teh ASG. Guess next year it's duncan vs crawford.

Seriously though, crawford needs to be suspended for this crap. But given the way the idiots in the league work, they'll put crawford with a chip on his shoulder in all the spurs' series now.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:09 AM   #15
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow
so this year we had charles vs bavetta at teh ASG. Guess next year it's duncan vs crawford.

Seriously though, crawford needs to be suspended for this crap. But given the way the idiots in the league work, they'll put crawford with a chip on his shoulder in all the spurs' series now.

He didn't get suspended for tossing Nellie in the first few minutes of a playoff game. Nellie was just standing there looking at him and boom, boom, boom, he's gone.

If JC got away with that in the playoffs, I don't really see why they would punish him now.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: