Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-20-2007, 02:31 PM   #16
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: 10 Min To Educate You About Blacks Plight In America

Quote:
im sure there were plenty of "white folks" in the superdome as well.

Ive seen alot of footage showing them waiting outside in line, filing around inside, complaining about conditions and have never seen even 1 white person in the crowd
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:22 PM   #17
eauclaire447
High School JV MVP

eauclaire447 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
Ive seen alot of footage showing them waiting outside in line, filing around inside, complaining about conditions and have never seen even 1 white person in the crowd
i believe i remember seeing a dead old white person outside in a wheel chair.....im sure there were plenty of white people there, just have to flip the switch on the -everything is a race issue against the blacks- glasses to the off position and you would see blacks and whites struggling together.
eauclaire447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:40 PM   #18
xxxSuperStar
I Like Tacos

xxxSuperStar has an OK reputation so far

Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson is part the blacks plight in America. Give me a leader who moves forward with ideas (like Martin King did), not a couple of "reverends" who are media hogs who talk about plight, but do little to inspire referendum and change.

But it seems there are two sides instead of a middle. Colin Powell, Condoleeza Rice ect are on one side and Al Sharpton and Jessie Jackson are on the other and there really is nobody in between, which is where someone needs to be.

Like anything else, change needs to come from within and it is happening, just at a slower pace (for whatever reason) than with other minorities.
xxxSuperStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:09 PM   #19
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
i believe i remember seeing a dead old white person outside in a wheel chair.....im sure there were plenty of white people there, just have to flip the switch on the -everything is a race issue against the blacks- glasses to the off position and you would see blacks and whites struggling together.

Thats not reality tho.... White people & Black people should be struggling together, but they arent....

best part of your post is where you insinuate that there is some switch you flip and your reality becomes more or less valid....

Typical absurd American logic
Old 04-23-2007, 03:54 PM   #20
eauclaire447
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Thats not reality tho.... White people & Black people should be struggling together, but they arent....

best part of your post is where you insinuate that there is some switch you flip and your reality becomes more or less valid....

Typical absurd American logic
what i meant by the switch is that its seems as though you flip on the news JUST for the sole purpose of finding black man being oppressed, and when you look at things with the predetermined mindset that its gonna be there, you turn tradgedies that affect the entire population and turn it into a race issue. quite ridiculous. you really dont think white people are struggling????? wow!
Old 04-23-2007, 03:58 PM   #21
eauclaire447
High School JV MVP

i will give you the point that MORE blacks than whites were affected in New Orleans (maybe not as a whole with all affected cities) because in the city of new orleans the pop is 28 % white and 68% black.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:34 PM   #22
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
what i meant by the switch is that its seems as though you flip on the news JUST for the sole purpose of finding black man being oppressed, and when you look at things with the predetermined mindset that its gonna be there, you turn tradgedies that affect the entire population and turn it into a race issue. quite ridiculous. you really dont think white people are struggling????? wow!

You insinuate that I (or black folks) look for racism in everything....

You dont have to look for it...its obvious when it pops up...

when you see a stadium full of black folks stranded in a city, when you see people of color with "help" signs standing in the middle of a flooded street next to floating dead bodies that have been there for a week and FEMA hasnt shown up yet.....You start saying to yourself...Why is FEMA taking a WEEK to send support? When has this ever happened?

People who live in this country and arent in denial can see exactly what is goin on

This is America..... We have a serious race problem and while you act as though Blacks are paranoid about race... Im saying that whites are in denial over over it..
Old 04-23-2007, 05:47 PM   #23
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

In fairness from what I've heard, the photographer that said he saw the blacks "loot" did in fact "loot" it, and the whites that "found" the stuff "found" it floating past them.

It's on Snopes.com. But in the end, you have to take the photographer's word for it, so who knows.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:23 PM   #24
Cavs Fan
Kids at the park dunk on me

Cavs Fan has no real reputation yet.

Go to Africa, Europe, the Middle East, or Central/South America, then come back and tell us how bad the plight of blacks are here in America. Blacks are treated with more respect and have more opportunity in the USA and Canada than they do anywhere else in the world.
Cavs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:58 PM   #25
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringthetruth

If anyone actually watched the vid which I doubt this was not a message to white people blaming white people.
This was a message to black people about black people being held accountable for themselves and not appreciating the struggles of freedom fighters in the 50's and 60's.

If this is the only message you got out of this you have surely missed the point and these are the only times in the video that he addressed people who are not black and it was brief!

Quote:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/default.cdn...splaymode/1157

If this link doesn't work , re-type it in your browser

I am not to fond of the messenger myself , but the boy is on point about the plight of his people.

Jim Crow name title is out dated especially for people your age, but he had some son,s james crow jr esquire who's much wiser more cunning.

Instead of calling me a racial name , he just wants to marginalize my exsistence.

We(govt) can look for WMD's in Iraq, but we couldn't see a hurricane in Lousiana that was there.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:38 AM   #26
bringthetruth
Banned

bringthetruth has no real reputation yet.

No I recieved the whole message, but I mentioned thee parts about jim crown and such because people think just because black people are doing better they are treated as equals in america.

Not so, they don't call you racial names on the job and get fired or sued for discriminaton, but they minimize your exsistence of importance in the counrty.

If you could be black for 1 week and travel the country and get involved in different ventures and business, you would have a different train of thought on this matter.
bringthetruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 08:48 AM   #27
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Go to Africa, Europe, the Middle East, or Central/South America, then come back and tell us how bad the plight of blacks are here in America. Blacks are treated with more respect and have more opportunity in the USA and Canada than they do anywhere else in the world.

So black folks should look over there and just be happy with the treament over here because they may or may not live in worse conditions?

We dont live over there... We live here, and we have serious problems here. We need to fix the situation here... we dont need to look at the people living in sh*t to understand that we need to move forward...
Old 04-24-2007, 10:06 AM   #28
Rameek
Krust Kingz

Rameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this boardRameek is popular on this board

Quote:
No I recieved the whole message, but I mentioned thee parts about jim crown and such because people think just because black people are doing better they are treated as equals in america.

Not so, they don't call you racial names on the job and get fired or sued for discriminaton, but they minimize your exsistence of importance in the counrty.

If you could be black for 1 week and travel the country and get involved in different ventures and business, you would have a different train of thought on this matter.
I will only say this as an assumption... You probably never experienced the rascism I have faced... But I will say people may minimize your existence due to the people with in the black community not taking responsibility for there ways and actions. Its a generalization that is unfair but until the black community does something about its own then it will continue warranted or unwarranted.

Black people complain but dont do anything about there own plight which is a shame. If black people dont help one another educate themselves and there community it will not cease.

The media will always do its job by exposing the negative of some in the black community so the stereotype will be prepetual cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs Fan
If you beat, starve and kill a dog in those other places but just beat and starve a dog here... The dog is still fugged!
And those other countries arent dealing with american blacks they are dealing with africans who are in another plight of there own... not the same situation.

Last edited by Rameek : 04-24-2007 at 10:12 AM.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 10:30 AM   #29
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Its a generalization that is unfair but until the black community does something about its own then it will continue warranted or unwarranted.

The generalization and the institutional racism is a seperate issue from the destruction of the black family unit

the racism existed before the black family died... The stereotyping was there... the marginalization of black was always here... and it wont go away even when we get our community back in order...

Black folks were marginalized in the 20s 30s 40s 50s and 60s waay before rap or crack or AIDs or any of the black on black crime existed....Racism is not a result of people looking at us and saying "this is what we see"

Its more of the self fullfilling prophecy where if you keep calling your child the devil, they will begin to act like a devil....

We have eventually bought into all the negative stereotypes and destructive behaviors that people have tried to pin on us for generations.....

Blacks are violent? OK....we'll show you violence

Blacks are promiscuous or very sexual..OK we'll show you that too

Quote:
Black people complain but dont do anything about there own plight which is a shame. If black people dont help one another educate themselves and there community it will not cease.

Its not accurate to say black people dont do anything about their plight.. Im black, I work in education, I mentor kids, work to help feed the homeless (havent done that in months, so I need to get back to it)...

People are out here working.... It just gets very little if any publicity

And there is a seperate issue here also as I mentioned earlier and this problem of the declining community is not soley a black problem... Its an American problem... Blacks are simply on the fringe of society where see these things manifest themselves in the black community before they spread to the other communities.......

If Americans as a whole, dont wake up and stop feeding on each other, we will destroy our whole community

Last edited by Rasheed1 : 04-24-2007 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:22 PM   #30
Cavs Fan
Kids at the park dunk on me

Cavs Fan has no real reputation yet.

Quote:

We have eventually bought into all the negative stereotypes and destructive behaviors that people have tried to pin on us for generations.....

Blacks are violent? OK....we'll show you violence

Blacks are promiscuous or very sexual..OK we'll show you that too

This mentality is so childish. It's basically saying that if people don't think a certain way that you'd like to be thought of, then you are just going to throw a tantrum and act bad. It doesn't surprise me though because most of the black leaders that have extended themselves into the spotlight are nothing more than pandering apologists, not men of action like MLK. Bill Cosby is also out there laying the root causes of a lot of AA's problems right there in front of people but he only listened to, his advice is ignored. It's real simple, if AAs have the mentality that they must look to other people for their own success and failures before they move up the economic ladder(at least that's the vibe I am getting here in this forum), then the Asians and Latinos are going to be more than happy to fill the ranks of upper and middle income America while AA's remain idle.

Last edited by Cavs Fan : 04-24-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Cavs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: