Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #1
STelfair31
National High School Star
 
STelfair31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ISH'S FINEST
Posts: 2,205
STelfair31 has decent reputation
Default The N-Word

I was watchin BET with some kool aid....(imagine that)..... And there was a BET NEWS special on the N-word.......

They asked white ppl what it meant to them and stuff

so what does it mean to y'll like is it right for blacks to only say it or can everyone say it.....

What kinda impact you think it has on society???

THOUGHTS
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:52 PM   #2
Randy
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Randy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 7,856
Randy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRandy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The N-Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by STelfair31
I was watchin BET with some kool aid....(imagine that)..... And there was a BET NEWS special on the N-word.......

They asked white ppl what it meant to them and stuff

so what does it mean to y'll like is it right for blacks to only say it or can everyone say it.....

What kinda impact you think it has on society???

THOUGHTS

It's just a word, no one shouldn't be "allowed" to say it. But with our society the way it is -so an*l over PC that we're being PIC- there is no way this will ever happen. Why people of any race feel the need to use a word with such negative implications is beyond me.

Last edited by Randy : 04-16-2007 at 02:56 PM.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian
 
L.Kizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX -
Posts: 36,333
L.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation hereL.Kizzle has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: The N-Word

As long as rapperes continue to use it, everyone will use it. I guarantee you if 50, Luda, Jay Z, Dip-Set, UGK stopped using the word, a ton of people will stop using it as they only copy what rappers do.


If rappers come out with a campaign to stop, lil kids will listen more to them if Jesse and Al Sharpton told the too stop.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:55 PM   #4
skillswithaz
I bust ghosts
 
skillswithaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,219
skillswithaz has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The N-Word

As a mulatto teen, I view people who say the word as equally stupid. There should be no difference whether a white man or black man says it (freedom of speech isn't biased). Certain rappers that I like, I have no respect for because of their use of the word.
skillswithaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:37 PM   #5
STelfair31
National High School Star
 
STelfair31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ISH'S FINEST
Posts: 2,205
STelfair31 has decent reputation
Default Re: The N-Word

yea if rappers stop the black youth will stop sayin the word and wit music it reaches the white community.... and the white kids want to say it and be black..... b/c of the rappers and movies
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:41 PM   #6
STelfair31
National High School Star
 
STelfair31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ISH'S FINEST
Posts: 2,205
STelfair31 has decent reputation
Default Re: The N-Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy
It's just a word, no one shouldn't be "allowed" to say it. But with our society the way it is -so an*l over PC that we're being PIC- there is no way this will ever happen. Why people of any race feel the need to use a word with such negative implications is beyond me.


yea some white guy on the show said us as whites don't call each other crackers or honky so the N-word don't mean nothin to them..... another question for y'll is Have you ever used the N-word and how with an (A, or ER)

did you hear about the teacher that said ni66a to one of his black students and said that he wanted to be able to talk to his students they way they talk to each other and he was in court and held up signs that said 2 different words and had Ni66a and Ni66er to try and prove he ain't racist.....
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:45 PM   #7
Enigmatism
Raving Lunatic
 
Enigmatism's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 812
Enigmatism has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The N-Word

It's stupid to say it, for anyone
Enigmatism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 04:56 AM   #8
AtTheDriveIn
04'
 
AtTheDriveIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,767
AtTheDriveIn has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The N-Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by STelfair31
yea if rappers stop the black youth will stop sayin the word and wit music it reaches the white community.... and the white kids want to say it and be black..... b/c of the rappers and movies

So you're blaming white people in the end?

No, white people don't try to be black. No firstly, define ''being black'' what does that mean to you? are you stereotyping your own race perhaps in thinking that all black people are the same?

Think about it.

Black people have taught us that it isn't cool to say the word anyway. So why do white's want to be cool by saying it when black people don't hear it in the first place because we aren't allowed to say it to you?
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:11 AM   #9
Chalkmaze
Good college starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 3,072
Chalkmaze has decent reputationChalkmaze has decent reputation
Default Re: The N-Word

I think it's just a dumb word to use, sounds unintelligent and has no real clear cut meaning and means different things to different people.

Funny thing, I was thinking of the other day though... Just what does it mean exactly? First off I don't stereotype based on skin color, I will stereotype to some degree based on culture, but that isn't related to skin color, it's based on where you live, what sort of life style you choose, what kind of economic background, jobs, etc. you have.

I don't like someone calling me or themselves a cracker or honky because in most cases it's a stereotyping word based on the color of skin. I mean, I don't care that much, it doesn't hurt my feelings unless it's obvious they are trying to offend me, it's just a word. I just get irritated that it's used in trying to stereotype, it's never thrilling to hear something like "you crackers are alway doing this blah blah", right off the bat that pisses me off.

So, it's not so much the word as the stereotyping based on skin color that bugs me.
Chalkmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:25 AM   #10
AtTheDriveIn
04'
 
AtTheDriveIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,767
AtTheDriveIn has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The N-Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkmaze
I think it's just a dumb word to use, sounds unintelligent and has no real clear cut meaning and means different things to different people.

Funny thing, I was thinking of the other day though... Just what does it mean exactly? First off I don't stereotype based on skin color, I will stereotype to some degree based on culture, but that isn't related to skin color, it's based on where you live, what sort of life style you choose, what kind of economic background, jobs, etc. you have.

I don't like someone calling me or themselves a cracker or honky because in most cases it's a stereotyping word based on the color of skin. I mean, I don't care that much, it doesn't hurt my feelings unless it's obvious they are trying to offend me, it's just a word. I just get irritated that it's used in trying to stereotype, it's never thrilling to hear something like "you crackers are alway doing this blah blah", right off the bat that pisses me off.

So, it's not so much the word as the stereotyping based on skin color that bugs me.

Yeah, except for the Culture Stereotype, i agree with everything you've said.

I still want to hear Stelfair31's argument on why he has stereotyped himself, and why he thinks white people are 'cool', obviously using another stereotypical white kid who wants to be a 'ghetto' kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stelfair31
What kinda impact you think it has on society???

I think that the impact isn't on the word anymore, rather it is ones music.

I'm not going to use the a people example, I'll use the Rock music one though.

Ok, think about guys who are into metal music. Let's stereotype them. long uncleaned hair, dirty clothes, always cursing. Now think of emo's. Stereotype: combed hair, clean tight clothes, prefer to be an outcast and shy, rather then loud and obnoxious and emo's apparently cut themselves. (which is ludacris because i know ALOT of emo's and none cut themselves nor have they ever though about it.

Why do they not get along?

Because they're different. Everyone will, no matter what the situation tease the other because they look different. Adding music into is only a bonus thing to tease people about nowadays. Like, 'Oh he listens to emo music, he must cut himself, cutting yourself is wrong because it means you have problems'. Everyone goes of stereotypes because it makes them feel good.

The bottom line: Making someone else feel bad makes them feel good.

It was in effect 100 years ago, it was in effect 50 years ago, it's in effect now. Everyone wants someone else to feel bad.

I know i used a different example, but change it around a bit, and you'll figure out how this applies to black and white as well.
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 05:35 AM   #11
Darsh
Good college starter
 
Darsh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Boguts Hood
Posts: 2,125
Darsh has decent reputationDarsh has decent reputation
Default Re: The N-Word

im white, and ill admit i say it a bit. I dont use it in a derogatory way, at least not intentionally, but mainly just when im greeting a friend or something. Its kind of like pop culture now. And its never around anyone who will take offense. I mean, Melo is black and he's my idol.
Im from Australia though, so its hardly even an issue here since not many black people live here.
Darsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:46 AM   #12
LongBeachLakers
Local High School Star
 
LongBeachLakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,234
LongBeachLakers has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The N-Word

Why did this happen to ME!!! My life is ruined!!! Why us!!! WE do not deserved to be called nappy headded hoes..... the word of this man destroyed my life... the words of this man holds sooo much weight, everything ive done in life, all ive strived for, ruined by this man pointing out the fact that i do have nappy hair.... why do he have to remind me that i have nappy hair? he ruined my life... this man's words are powerful... soooo powerful.... call everyone, the NAACP, jessie jackson, al sharpton, michael jackson.... get everyone... this man called me names..... im destroyed for life...
LongBeachLakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:44 PM   #13
Chalkmaze
Good college starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 3,072
Chalkmaze has decent reputationChalkmaze has decent reputation
Default Re: The N-Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBeachLakers
Why did this happen to ME!!! My life is ruined!!! Why us!!! WE do not deserved to be called nappy headded hoes..... the word of this man destroyed my life... the words of this man holds sooo much weight, everything ive done in life, all ive strived for, ruined by this man pointing out the fact that i do have nappy hair.... why do he have to remind me that i have nappy hair? he ruined my life... this man's words are powerful... soooo powerful.... call everyone, the NAACP, jessie jackson, al sharpton, michael jackson.... get everyone... this man called me names..... im destroyed for life...

I think you're in the wrong thread, we're not talking about that here.
Chalkmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:29 PM   #14
STelfair31
National High School Star
 
STelfair31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ISH'S FINEST
Posts: 2,205
STelfair31 has decent reputation
Default Re: The N-Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheDriveIn
So you're blaming white people in the end?

No, white people don't try to be black. No firstly, define ''being black'' what does that mean to you? are you stereotyping your own race perhaps in thinking that all black people are the same?

Think about it.

Black people have taught us that it isn't cool to say the word anyway. So why do white's want to be cool by saying it when black people don't hear it in the first place because we aren't allowed to say it to you?

not sterotypin my race..... were not all the same but there are some blacks that are from the country and act hood...and its accepted fo them b/c their black if a white person from the country acts black their a ******..... whites aren't us so don't use our shyt...... U can have white, black, latin ni66as....in case so of you racist didn't kno ni66er means ignorant...so if you callin a black a ni66er your really the ni66er for thinkin all blacks are ni66ers.....NI66A!! hahaha
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 03:11 PM   #15
LongBeachLakers
Local High School Star
 
LongBeachLakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,234
LongBeachLakers has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The N-Word

When I drive through the ghetto in my $80K luxury BMW, the only people I see acting black are drug addicts, welfare recipients, and people who make minimum wage. These people aren't going no where in life, and most are probably gonna be in and out of prison for most of their life. You are seriously deluded if you think anyone wants to imitate or act "Black". Unless you're a rapper, from what I've seen, acting "Black" ain't getting you no where. I haven't seen one successful person who is not a rapper, that acts "Black".


LongBeachLakers is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:15 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy