Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2007, 09:38 PM   #31
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year
 
DatZNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,845
DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: The N-Word

I wish it wasn't used so much, especially in rap. In fact, overall I wish rap was "smarter" and had more substance. They have tremendous influence in the community (not just African American community), and it'd be great to see that used for something more positive and not just to make themselves money by glorifying the perpetuation of all these negative stereotypes. What other race/social group does that?
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:22 PM   #32
adamcz
Bucks fan
 
adamcz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: MA
Posts: 3,727
adamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cooladamcz is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: The N-Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by haterofhaters
Common was there too. So I guess 50 can't say she doesn't put rappers on the show anymore.
I don't think they represented themselves very well. Kept saying "It's not our fault, it's society's fault," and crap like that. Simmons and Common both did a reasonable job holding their own (I guess), but that Warner Bros guy had no business being in an intelligent discussion.
adamcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 10:23 PM   #33
DatZNasty
NBA rookie of the year
 
DatZNasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,845
DatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat coolDatZNasty is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: The N-Word

Whenever any of them started making a point she went to commercial. How dumb does she really think we are to not notice? She might as well just trade herself to Fox News, same kind of tactics
DatZNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:31 AM   #34
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar
 
baseketball4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,905
baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: The N-Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorlilrich
maybe its because u are not black???

lol i think even terence used it; and i use is "less" because all the people who used it either dropped out or got sent to alta vista.
it doesnt matter if im not black. i have been around latinos and blacks and everyone of them has called me the n-word... and u and i have been around blacks and i havent heard you say it... im not encouraging it but im saying, why are you posting so many opinions about a word u dont use or hear.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 02:03 AM   #35
AtTheDriveIn
04'
 
AtTheDriveIn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,767
AtTheDriveIn has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: The N-Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by STelfair31
not sterotypin my race..... were not all the same but there are some blacks that are from the country and act hood...and its accepted fo them b/c their black if a white person from the country acts black their a ******..... whites aren't us so don't use our shyt...... U can have white, black, latin ni66as....in case so of you racist didn't kno ni66er means ignorant...so if you callin a black a ni66er your really the ni66er for thinkin all blacks are ni66ers.....NI66A!! hahaha

K first, you were stereotyping your race because you said US, which means you're speaking for every black person in the world by saying that they think they're all hood etc.

Trust me, if you gave a white person a choice of what to be, I'm sure most would want to be white. Thats not disrespect, its just a fact.

Since when did you own the word in first place. Freedom of speech. everyone is allowed to say anything they want man. You don't own the word.

The only one being a ni66er (ignorant in your words) here is yourself. Grow up man, you don't own a word, your parents don't own it, and your entire race doesn't own it.

Quote:
Because they're different. Everyone will, no matter what the situation tease the other because they look different.

Think about it :) You put yourself out there to be teased by claiming all this bull****. You try to act hard and different to everyone else, but you're just a pathetic little weasel.
AtTheDriveIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:25 AM   #36
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,496
Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: The N-Word

Quote:
Rap is a minsterel show for the most part. Sort of hard to ask them to stop acting like savage beasts, when that's all they know. I'd love to hear what kind of positive change these idiots feel that they have brought about over the past 20 years of "reclaiming ownership" of the word. And making millions of dollars for themselves doesn't really count in this case.

Its a lose lose situation for rappers... When Public Enemy was Rap's face, people hated and trashed them, when it was RUN DMC the media tried to insinuate that rap causes violence because somebody got beat up at a concert ...When it was Spike Lee coming out with "Do the right thing" "certain people" got all scared and started acting like the movie would cause riots... When it was Tupac in Juice... Media was too scared to let him hold a gun on the damn cover art when Bruce Willis and Harrison Ford and any other white dude you could name has already done it multiple times....

Bottomline: Certain forces will ALWAYS have a problem with black enterprise... ALWAYS no matter what the true merits of the enterprise, there will be people who will pretend there is some problem, any problem. When Hip-hop was what people long for today, the same groups of people hated it then, villified it then and now they turn around and act like they wish it was decent when it they hated back when it was decent..

Black folks need to smarten up and band together and stop letting other people divide them up and tell them how they should feel and who they should admire......

As for "taking ownership of the word" ...... I dont think that is what people are really doing... Ive heard that term used, but it isnt really accurate......People dont use the term to diffuse the term...

*If I say "thats my n*gga" that means he is somebody I know to be on my level... I know his hopes, his pain, how people view him, and I know what is in his heart...Most of all I love that dude inspite of what others think of him

Its like when scarface termed himself as the 'bad guy' as he is leaving the resteraunt filled with uppity white folks staring at him.... He knows how these people who dont really understand him, view him, so he plays on it....

"thats right you bunch of cowards, RUN, here comes the bad guy"

And to be honest, that wont change until we get our males back in their proper place, clean up the worst neighborhoods and stop letting other people define us.....

We have soo much power, I just wish we knew how to use it..


Quote:
Anybody see Oprah today? Stanley Crouch pwned Russel Simmons, and some dumbass Steven A Smith wannabe (the VP of Warner Bros! )

Stanley crouch onwed nobody... It wasnt a contest.... it was a conversation among people genuinely concerned about their community...

I respect Crouch, Sharpton, Russell Simmons and all the dudes who are really about something.... those guys gotta come together and work with each other to pull other brothers together to work for our communities...

Only dude who didnt belong there was that fat ass hole Jason Whitlock.... That dummy opened his fat mouth once on monday, and once the panel corrected his ignorance, he STFU for the rest of the show I hoped he learned something up there

Last edited by Rasheed1 : 04-18-2007 at 10:30 AM.
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:21 PM   #37
Legend of Josh
Banned
 
Legend of Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alch|e|mist
Posts: 10,231
Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation
Default Re: The N-Word

Quote:
I respect Crouch, Sharpton, Russell Simmons and all the dudes who are really about something.... those guys gotta come together and work with each other to pull other brothers together to work for our communities...

Only dude who didnt belong there was that fat ass hole Jason Whitlock.... That dummy opened his fat mouth once on monday, and once the panel corrected his ignorance, he STFU for the rest of the show I hoped he learned something up there

You "respect" someone like Sharpton? Being an intelligent African-American, you should know better. Sharpton is a bigot, who is not the civil rights leader (much less reverand) he claims to be. Martin Luther King was the real civil rights leader. Hell, I'll even say Malcom X did more positive things for the black community than Sharpton and his racist sidekick JJ could imagine.

Secondly, Jason Whitlock is the one who should be representing the voice of the black community, because Whitlock's entire argument is what have Sharpton and Jackson done to help eradicate the real problems of the black community? Nothing! Sharpton and Jackson are media wh0res seeking to make profits by lighting fires and creating racial battlegrounds. These two bigots claim to be "pro-black" when they're bigots. Plain and simple. They're causing even further racial divide. You "respect" that?!?!

Jason Whitlock highlights some really good points, and feels strongly about the damage Sharpton and Jackson have caused the black community. You Rasheed, being intelligent and a genuine "pro-black" individual, should see through their garbage (Sharpton and Jackson), and give credit to logical African-Americans such as Whitlock.

As for the topic. No one should use the term "ni66er" or "ni66a" under any context. Rasheed, you say it's OK "sometimes" ... don't support a double-standard. It's either OK, or it's not OK. That's like saying, it's OK to hit my wife if she does something to piss me off, but if she doesn't piss me off, I shouldn't hit her.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:52 PM   #38
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,496
Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: The N-Word

Quote:
You "respect" someone like Sharpton? Being an intelligent African-American, you should know better. Sharpton is a bigot, who is not the civil rights leader (much less reverand) he claims to be. Martin Luther King was the real civil rights leader. Hell, I'll even say Malcom X did more positive things for the black community than Sharpton and his racist sidekick JJ could imagine.

thing is..... I do respect Sharpton because he is a serious dude who will fight for you and he'll go to jail with you when you march for what you believe is right.... He did it for yusef hawkins, he did for Diallo, He did it Louimer, He even did it for tawana Brawley who lied to him..... He got stabbed marching against bigots in brooklyn....

The guy simply steps up when called to and thats more than most can say about themselves



Quote:
Secondly, Jason Whitlock is the one who should be representing the voice of the black community, because Whitlock's entire argument is what have Sharpton and Jackson done to help eradicate the real problems of the black community? Nothing! Sharpton and Jackson are media wh0res seeking to make profits by lighting fires and creating racial battlegrounds. These two bigots claim to be "pro-black" when they're bigots. Plain and simple. They're causing even further racial divide. You "respect" that?!?!

the real question is....... what in the hell has Jason Whitlock ever done for anybody other than his fat self? Who does Jason whitlock stand up for? that bigot Imus is the only person I can think of... f*ck jason whitlock.. he's not even on Sharpton's level...

He doesnt know what he is talking about... his dumb ass came on Oprah and started repeating that nonsense he wrote his articles about Sharpton and other blacks not confronting hip-hop and other issues in the community and the other panelists flat out told him how he was wrong and they ran off a list of things done done in the community by sharpton and others... Whitlock shut his mouth for the rest of the show....If whitlock was really involved in the community he'd know this stuff...but since he is nothing more than an apologist to white people and ignorant fool who got exposed when in the company of real activists who do more than just run their mouths and have nothing more to show for themselves...


Quote:
Jason Whitlock highlights some really good points, and feels strongly about the damage Sharpton and Jackson have caused the black community. You Rasheed, being intelligent and a genuine "pro-black" individual, should see through their garbage (Sharpton and Jackson), and give credit to logical African-Americans such as Whitlock.

problem is, there is nothing logical about whitlock.... he talks about responsibility...but he shows nothing

he wants to put all the responsibility for this stuff on rappers backs when the real problems are not music and TV... The real problems are drugs tearing apart families and males not being present because they are in jail


Quote:
As for the topic. No one should use the term "ni66er" or "ni66a" under any context. Rasheed, you say it's OK "sometimes"

I never said it was OK or not... I simply said what reason was for people saying it....

I think it is a symptom of the real problem... Which again is drugs in our community... get the crack and the serious drug trade outta the neighborhood and we will begin to slowly get our people back

Quote:
... don't support a double-standard. It's either OK, or it's not OK. That's like saying, it's OK to hit my wife if she does something to piss me off, but if she doesn't piss me off, I shouldn't hit her.

Again I never said it was OK... get yourself together here
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:03 PM   #39
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star
 
Rasheed1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 10,496
Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: The N-Word

Quote:
Sharpton is a bigot, who is not the civil rights leader (much less reverand) he claims to be. Martin Luther King was the real civil rights leader. Hell, I'll even say Malcom X did more positive things for the black community than Sharpton and his racist sidekick JJ could imagine.

I had to revisit this because I love when people try and put MLK on this pedestal...

When MLK was alive and doing his nonviolent thing... White people murdered him for it... He got called all the names guys like sharpton are called today...

Race agitator, trouble maker, attention whore.... Now he is remembered as a saint....

It doesnt matter what some black folks do, they will always be villified by some people....

Alot of the guys who are beloved today were public enemy #1 when they were creating their legacy and only now in death (MLK Malcolm) or in degraded state (Muhammad Ali) are they appreciated and celebrated for their bravery... that lesson isnt lost on me



They cant win.. but the goal isnt to please the people who have no stake in our community... They dont count until we get to a point where our house is in order enough to invite others into it.. We arent there yet..
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:08 PM   #40
STelfair31
National High School Star
 
STelfair31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ISH'S FINEST
Posts: 2,205
STelfair31 has decent reputation
Default Re: The N-Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life
it doesnt matter if im not black. i have been around latinos and blacks and everyone of them has called me the n-word... and u and i have been around blacks and i havent heard you say it... im not encouraging it but im saying, why are you posting so many opinions about a word u dont use or hear.

so you and poorlilrich kno each other????
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:12 PM   #41
STelfair31
National High School Star
 
STelfair31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ISH'S FINEST
Posts: 2,205
STelfair31 has decent reputation
Default Re: The N-Word

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheDriveIn
K first, you were stereotyping your race because you said US, which means you're speaking for every black person in the world by saying that they think they're all hood etc.

Trust me, if you gave a white person a choice of what to be, I'm sure most would want to be white. Thats not disrespect, its just a fact.

Since when did you own the word in first place. Freedom of speech. everyone is allowed to say anything they want man. You don't own the word.
The only one being a ni66er (ignorant in your words) here is yourself. Grow up man, you don't own a word, your parents don't own it, and your entire race doesn't own it.


Think about it :) You put yourself out there to be teased by claiming all this bull****. You try to act hard and different to everyone else, but you're just a pathetic little weasel.


1st i'm mix so my parents don't own it well one of them anyway... Since there is freedom of speech you don't see white ppl walkin up to us and sayin what up ni66a or call us ni66ers to our faces so you better check that out... and yea Rap has alot to do with it cuz my lil cuz listens 50 and he says the same shyt that 50 says....
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:15 PM   #42
STelfair31
National High School Star
 
STelfair31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ISH'S FINEST
Posts: 2,205
STelfair31 has decent reputation
Default Re: The N-Word

another funny thing is White ppl bytch about us gettin loans and jobs befo them?? hahaha now thats funny but if you got the extra stuff you all wouldn't say nothin about it...God forbid that a minority gets one up on y'll.... you should just study the books harder and i'll get my full ride scholarship fo basketball or baseball.....
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:21 PM   #43
Legend of Josh
Banned
 
Legend of Josh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alch|e|mist
Posts: 10,231
Legend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputationLegend of Josh has a terrific reputation
Default Re: The N-Word

Quote:
I had to revisit this because I love when people try and put MLK on this pedestal...

When MLK was alive and doing his nonviolent thing... White people murdered him for it... He got called all the names guys like sharpton are called today...

Race agitator, trouble maker, attention whore.... Now he is remembered as a saint....

It doesnt matter what some black folks do, they will always be villified by some people....

It's only fair to compare MLK to Sharpton and Jackson. Look at all three of their track records respectively!

I'm not even going to start pulling up Sharpton and Jackson's track record, because it'd take all of 15 minutes to read their genuine accomplishments in the black community, and 15 hours vise versa.

If MLK was alive and well today, Sharpton and Jackson wouldn't exist. Somewhere right now, MLK is shaking his head in shame. Are Sharpton and Jackson the best black leaders out there today?

It's unfortunate that MLK was slayed, because if MLK was in his prime in today's society, it's a hell of a lot less likely a bigot like Imus or anyone else would say something like nappy headed hoes. In other words, if this country had real black leaders this caliber of garbage would be less discussed and debated.

Sharpton and Jackson make a living off this garbage, so don't expect them to quit anytime soon.
Legend of Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #44
STelfair31
National High School Star
 
STelfair31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ISH'S FINEST
Posts: 2,205
STelfair31 has decent reputation
Default Re: The N-Word

Hopefully a black president soon or Hilary take your pick
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:42 PM   #45
STelfair31
National High School Star
 
STelfair31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ISH'S FINEST
Posts: 2,205
STelfair31 has decent reputation
Default Re: The N-Word

I think America will take Hilary...which ta me is crazy
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:32 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy