Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-17-2007, 08:24 PM   #31
Solid Snake
Local High School Star

Default Re: Stern On PTI- Said Crawford May Be Done Forever In The NBA

Quote:
Because you talk like you can do a better job.

It's not his job to do a better job. We can critique all we want, and not have a billionth of the skill of the person/player in question. I can call Eric Snow a piece of dog ****, but does it mean I can play better than him? No. You know the saying, one doesn't have to be a surgeon......or however it goes.

I can tell everyone right now why the penalty was so harsh. It's because in Stern's opinion, once a ref starts making calls out of personal spite, then it hurts the integrity of the game.

Here's an easy analogy for everyone. Who do you think would get a harsher penalty, a player who says "The types of calls made tonight by the refs were total, utter bull****. They are absolutely ****ing blind, and those *****es need to be fired," OR a player who simply states the following, in a calm manner: "the way the refs called the game tonight, obviously they wanted the other team to win."

I can 100% guarantee everyone that the second player would get a much much much much much more harsher penalty than the player who used profanity. Whenever you question (or directly impact) the INTEGRITY of the game, YOU as a commsioner have to eradicate and discourage such percieved actions. No, you don't have to fire someone, but you will have some harsh penalties.

In fact there are practical examples of what I said happening in many sports, but I'm too fukin lazy to look it up, but guarantee you there's been cases like this.

[EDIT: please note that I'm not making a case for against Joey Crawford, as I couldn't care less (it's not I could care less, it's I COULDN'T care less, I hate when people mess that up! Saying you couldn't care less indicates that your level of caring at the moment is SO low, that it is scientifically impossible to CARE LESS than you currently do. Saying I could care less doesn't even make sense grammatically. Tell everyone you know to stop saying it, say Solid Snake said so.

Anyway, all I'm stating are observations based on empirical evidence; saying that IF this is how Joey Crawford is perceived, then THAT'S why he got the punishment he did. So note that I'm not unnecessarily for or against it.)

Last edited by Solid Snake : 04-17-2007 at 08:30 PM.
Solid Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:24 PM   #32
Sham
Great young streetballer

I'm pretty sure there's a referees union similar to the players' union. I don't think they'll stand by and let him be "done forever".
Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:24 PM   #33
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

I think the suspension is fitting. A lot of these well-known NBA refs are way, way too full of themselves. They try to impact the game too much when they shouldn't be impacting the game at all.

Props to Stern.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:25 PM   #34
Silent Mav
Local High School Star

I'm mixed on the whole thing. I'll be watching games on League Pass and my wife will sit down, watch for a minute and " oh great Joey Crawford". She hardly knows more than a handlful of players but she knows Joey! How sad is that? And I'm no fan of Joey by any means, but part of me hates to see him go out this way. But it appears the damage is done.

I do have some concern about the timing of this. With the playoffs starting this weekend, I'm curious as to the behavior of both the refs and players. I really hope this becomes a non-issue in the playoffs.
Silent Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:28 PM   #35
Voice of Reason
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I can tell everyone right now why the penalty was so harsh. It's because in Stern's opinion, once a ref starts making calls out of personal spite, then it hurts the integrity of the game.

How do you determine personal spite?
Voice of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:49 PM   #36
b4ball
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboy11
I think the suspension is fitting. A lot of these well-known NBA refs are way, way too full of themselves. They try to impact the game too much when they shouldn't be impacting the game at all.

Props to Stern.

The ref is not part of the game. A good ref is neither seen nor heard. A good ref does not decide who wins or who plays.

Joey has been to full of himself thinking that with his experiece he was untouchable. I like what Stern did. Joey is not above reproach, needed to be reprimanded and didn't take it like a man.

I watched the interview on PTI and Stern made it clear. It's Joey decesion to return or not next year. But before that happens he has to meet with Stern.

Good bye Joey, to bad you had to go this way, but that was your choice. In no way could the league ignore what took place, in no way could Duncan be blamed, in no way could Stern not do anything less then suspend Joey for the remainder of the year if he showed no remorse for his pathetic attemp to make himself a part of the game.
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:55 PM   #37
billybadass
I hit open 5-footers

first imus now crawford. plus the school shooting. white people must be feeling pretty owned latley
billybadass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:56 PM   #38
Dizzle-2k7
Go Spurs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybadass
first imus now crawford. plus the school shooting. white people must be feeling pretty owned latley

dumb shlt dude. not relevant at all.
Dizzle-2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 08:59 PM   #39
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybadass

That is the dumbest sh!t I've heard in a long, long time............
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:11 PM   #40
Suns#1
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanfan
disagree. Crawford thinks he is part of the game. His calls have cost teams games and perhaps even more. Time to let him go for good. I hope he is serious about not coming back. Good for the game.
My thoughts too.
Suns#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:17 PM   #41
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Because you talk like you can do a better job.

As a fan of the game, is my job to ref, or is my job to cheer the game, and criticize when needed? And if your saying a ref blowing a call so blatantly doesn't deserve criticism, then it shows your iq

Quote:
I've been and done things you havent and probably never will kid. The whole "You stay on ISH all day long" reply is so predictable and old. Doesnt change the fact I know more about the game than you. Doesnt change the fact you're ignorant as hell when it comes to officiating. Doesnt change the fact you cant do better being thrown in thier situation. Sucks huh? Well deal with it. You need to spend more time educating yourself and listening/reading than running your mouth to someone more superior than you (its obvious I am in this area). But you cant tell kids today nothing...you guys are the future? Ridiculous.

You know more about the game than...yeah exactly. Only thing your superior than me in is whining and crying like a 13 year old girl on her first period, *****ing everytime something goes wrong and I don't need any other reply, because it is true. You are on this site 24/7, so try again.
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:20 PM   #42
0ne50
Local High School Star

good job by stern.
0ne50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:25 PM   #43
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
I dunno why everyone is hating on Crawford anyways. He gave Duncan two Ts for excessive whining and mocking the refs. It's in the rules. He certainly has gone over the top, but Duncan is that one guy that gets away with whining basically since he arrived in the league. He calls a ref "you piece of ****", and does not get suspended?

Oh come on... Duncan was laughing at a call from the bench. Players can't laugh at bad calls now? He called him a "piece of ****" after he was ejected by the way. Crawford asked him if he wanted to fight... Crawford gets away at threatening players with physical abuse now?
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:31 PM   #44
Fudge
ISH Bully

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
Oh come on... Duncan was laughing at a call from the bench. Players can't laugh at bad calls now? He called him a "piece of ****" after he was ejected by the way. Crawford asked him if he wanted to fight... Crawford gets away at threatening players with physical abuse now?

REALLY? Im slowly starting to slip away from Joey's side.
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 09:52 PM   #45
Y2Gezee
Troll spotting pro

Stern's a piece of sh*t. And I used to give this guy high, high, high praise 5 years ago.

He takes things tooo far, and is on a terrible power trip himself. Ever since that brawl, he has come out of his shell as an absolute a$$hole. Suspending Jo for 25or 30 games was excessive, suspending Artest for the entire year was waaaay excessive, suspending Kobe for what was really an accidental elbow is excessive (maybe not the second time though), suspending Melo 15 games (which is 3-5x the past precedence for 1 punch) is extremely excessive. And if Crawford has reffed his last game, that would be going too far.

Its time for Stern to go, and sadly even his replacement has no choice but to be an ******* now with some of the precedences Stern has left behind.
Y2Gezee is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: