Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-18-2007, 01:35 AM   #1
RichSmoove
Pull my finger

RichSmoove has an OK reputation so far
Default Kobe gets hated for this Bird doesn't??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pkqmvyIoHA

Compare this with Kobe's 81 pts or his multiple 50+ games where people complain how he hogs the ball and he just tries to beat scoring records. How most of his points are from garbage time or against garbage teams and how he's a show off.

Clearly in this clip, Bird is aiming to beat the Celtics franchise record. Even his teammates were passing him the ball to score AND he was playing in garbage minutes. The Freaking Hawks were even cheering him on to make history. Correct me if I am wrong, but the Hawks were 34-48 that season and they didn't make the playoffs. He was shooting A LOT too, did you see some of his Antoine Walker Like shots??

So with that said, Explain to me what the difference is? Why does Kobe get so much flack for this while the great Larry Bird is praised for the SAME THING?

Last edited by RichSmoove : 04-18-2007 at 01:51 AM.
RichSmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:39 AM   #2
Kblaze8855
Titles are overrated

Kblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKblaze8855 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Kobe gets hated for this Bird doesn't??

I figured this was about Bird scoring 40+ in 20 something minutes to punish his teammates for not working hard the night before. He ended with only 49 or so but he was proving a point. If they wouldnt play as hard as him hed win games on his own and never pass.

But it worked since they won that game, won 67 games total, went 40-1 at home, and won the title as he won his 3rd MVP.

With those results you can get away with more.
Kblaze8855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:42 AM   #3
CristianoVirtuos
Banned

CristianoVirtuos has an OK reputation so far

Well basically, Bird is more accomplished but even moe importantly, he wasn't as hated. So, that's about it. Whatever Kobe does, people try to look at it from a negative perspective. It sucks bit it's true. Just deal with it.

BTW, Bird's career high is 60? That's weak lol.
And I had more muscle at 15 than he had at that time lol.

Some freaking amazing shots though. Ridiculous stuff.
CristianoVirtuos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:42 AM   #4
RichSmoove
Pull my finger

RichSmoove has an OK reputation so far

no, watch the whole clip.
RichSmoove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:44 AM   #5
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

picc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation here

The Celtics were intentionally fouling the Hawks to get Bird back the ball so he could run up the score.
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:45 AM   #6
MaxFly
Stylin' on you

MaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this boardMaxFly is popular on this board

That's just Larry's competitive streak on display. If Bryant did the same, I don't think anyone would bash him for that.
MaxFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:46 AM   #7
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Bird actually goes for the record... which i have no problem with.

Kobe made his bed and now he has to lie in it. But when Kobe retires people will look back and remember I guy who could on almost any given night give any team 50. Maybe the most dominant mass scorer ever from the guard position. An almost flawless talent in terms of physical ability and skills.

I didnt see any intentional fouls but I didnt watch the whole tape
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:47 AM   #8
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

bird would go off on a scoring spree once in a while and his teammates encouraged it (same with mchale actually). he was their leader and the most unselfish player on the team, best passer in the league outside of magic, and one of the great streak scorers of all time. the celts had fun with his scoring sprees. i think they also felt insulted when bird wasn't doubled. HOWEVER, i agree. i don't understand why kobe gets ripped for getting his own points. he's a SHOOTING GUARD, whose primary role is to score, and his team often needs crazy point production from him in order to win. when nobody else is finishing, what's the problem with him going off?
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:48 AM   #9
CristianoVirtuos
Banned

CristianoVirtuos has an OK reputation so far

The problem is that he's Kobe Bryant and that will forever be the problem.
CristianoVirtuos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:49 AM   #10
picc84
3-time NBA All-Star

picc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation herepicc84 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFly
That's just Larry's competitive streak on display. If Bryant did the same, I don't think anyone would bash him for that.

Uh, it already happened.
picc84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:50 AM   #11
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Explain what is the difference.
A combination of results and reputation.

Also, it's not like there weren't any people who would have said bad things about Bird for shooting so much. We just didn't have an internet to bring us EVERY type of opinion on every game from every fan who watches a few minutes and considers himself an expert.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:52 AM   #12
Younggrease
Banned

Every game Kobe goes off he hits crazy shot after crazy shot. Shots that most players wouldnt even dream of taking or be physically able to pull off even in a horse game. I think he has done it so much that we are getting numb to it. If Lebron just had one of Kobe's games where he showed the scoring arsenal of Kobe Bryant people would creame in their pants but when Kobe does it isnt a big deal.

The thing that impresses me so much about Kobe this year is he had almost no free time to really rehab his knee to tip top shape and also didnt have time to get into top condition in the off season. With all that said he is still able to do these incredible things on the court
Old 04-18-2007, 01:53 AM   #13
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Hmmmmmmm.......

Bird without Shaq= 3 rings (Yes I know he predated Shaq, no I'm not stupid, and I don't think they played together, just follow along)

Kobe without Shaq= 0 rings.

Any questions?
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:55 AM   #14
LakersDynasty
Very good NBA starter

LakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputationLakersDynasty has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Hmmmmmmm.......

Bird without Shaq= 3 rings (Yes I know he predated Shaq, no I'm not stupid, and I don't think they played together, just follow along)

Any questions?
Yes, because we all know Bird's teammates sucked. The fact that he had a bunch of HOFers around him his entire career negates Kobe having ONE dominant player when he won 3 rings. Not taking anything away from Bird, but that's a dumb argument, Bird's teammates were great.
LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:56 AM   #15
Younggrease
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
Hmmmmmmm.......

Any questions?

Thats so stupid... by your logic Kobe wasted 8 years of his career in LA because everything he accomplished has the Shaq * next toit. He would be better off not winning three rings.

Kobe without Shaq has been 2 full seasons......Kobe is 28.......Dont forget Bird had some great players around him. Teams better than those Laker teams
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: