Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-18-2007, 12:58 AM   #16
AI Nuggets3
Decent college freshman

AI Nuggets3 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Kobe gets hated for this Bird doesn't??

there's no one in today's league that can play at Bird's level. you'll see glimpses here and there from a few players (for example like Kobe getting hot and making some incredible shots non stop) but there's no one out there right now that can rule the game like he did.

this guy dropped triple doubles before halftime a few times.

there were a couple of games where he literately shot with his left hand more times than his right.

he was such a great rebounder too. 20 years ago i used to wonder what his rebounding stats would look like if he didnt play with 2 other good rebounding big men. guy averaged 10 rpg playing with McHale and Parish.

possibly the best trash talker of all time. i could go on and on. damn he was good.
AI Nuggets3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:58 AM   #17
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

bird had mchale parish dj walton in his time too

slightly better than odom adn kwame brown
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 12:58 AM   #18
CristianoVirtuos
Banned

CristianoVirtuos has an OK reputation so far

And that coming from a man who said this about Oscar Robertson

Quote:
And making the playoffs is important in this sport, but teams of that caliber, with stars of that skill are measured by championships. I mean he made the playoffs 5 times of 10, that's not too bad.

And I was using Iverson as an example.

If that isn't a double standard, I don't know what it is.
CristianoVirtuos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:00 AM   #19
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Younggrease
Every game Kobe goes off he hits crazy shot after crazy shot. Shots that most players wouldnt even dream of taking or be physically able to pull off even in a horse game. I think he has done it so much that we are getting numb to it. If Lebron just had one of Kobe's games where he showed the scoring arsenal of Kobe Bryant people would creame in their pants but when Kobe does it isnt a big deal.

The thing that impresses me so much about Kobe this year is he had almost no free time to really rehab his knee to tip top shape and also didnt have time to get into top condition in the off season. With all that said he is still able to do these incredible things on the court

Kobe is spoiling everyone, including his fans. 50 is not a big deal now...but for any other player, its huge. Dude has as much 50 pt games this year (8 of them in a span of a month and half or so) as Iverson did for his whole career.

He literaly turned on a switch. And like you said, he did nothing in the offseason/training camp cuz of surgery.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:01 AM   #20
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Nuggets3
there's no one in today's league that can play at Bird's level. you'll see glimpses here and there from a few players (for example like Kobe getting hot and making some incredible shots non stop) but there's no one out there right now that can rule the game like he did.

this guy dropped triple doubles before halftime a few times.

there were a couple of games where he literately shot with his left hand more times than his right.

he was such a great rebounder too. 20 years ago i used to wonder what his rebounding stats would look like if he didnt play with 2 other good rebounding big men. guy averaged 10 rpg playing with McHale and Parish.

possibly the best trash talker of all time. i could go on and on. damn he was good.

When Kobe was healthy and on fire he could get to Birds level at times or even a little higher(he just isnt as consistent and hasnt done it on the highest stage yet without shaq). I remember one game where he scored 40 on Vince held vince to 10-15 on horrible shooting and had Vince wanting to fight him.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:02 AM   #21
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersDynasty
Yes, because we all know Bird's teammates sucked. The fact that he had a bunch of HOFers around him his entire career negates Kobe having ONE dominant player when he won 3 rings. Not taking anything away from Bird, but that's a dumb argument, Bird's teammates were great.

Fairly valid, however, that would suggest that Bird wasn't the breadwinner on his team. And we're not just talking about any old dominate player. We're talking about Shaquille Oneil, one of the two men from this era that are Top-10 all-time. With Kobe doing thsi kind of thing all the time the Lakers won't go far. With Bird doing something like that they do go far. It's hard to explain what I'm thinking.

Bird's greatness far exceeds Kobe's, so when he shoots a lot or runs it up a bit, it's looked on favorably. Simiply put, he's proven his worth so he can gloat ("Which one of you is going to come in second tonight?").

Kobe still had a bit to go before he can truly prove to the world that he is the breadwinner of the family. And in order to that he has to win some bread, in this case a ring.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:03 AM   #22
hotsizzle
Superstar

hotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation herehotsizzle has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
When Kobe was healthy and on fire he could get to Birds level at times or even a little higher(he just isnt as consistent and hasnt done it on the highest stage yet without shaq). I remember one game where he scored 40 on Vince held vince to 10-15 on horrible shooting and had Vince wanting to fight him.

Remember the game back in 03. Entering the 4th qtr...Orlando had a huge lead on LA. Kobe holds Tmac to 1 point and drops 24 to get the win.
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:04 AM   #23
dejordan
Mars Blackmon Lives!

dejordan has an OK reputation so far

this is a stupid comparison. bird was a point forward who did pretty much everything incredibly well at the offensive end, was a natural leader, and one of the best rebounders from the small forward position ever. kobe is a shooting guard with unbelievable scoring skills and great athleticism. if you want to compare them, it's not very fair to kobe, who had much less responsibility early in his career and much worse teammates later in his career. i mean even without looking it up i'm sure bird's got better career numbers in probably just about every category and a better career winning percentage. but that doesn't tell the whole story because like i said, when kobe was on a good team he wasn't the main man, and now that he is the main man, his team's not that good.
dejordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:04 AM   #24
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

You basically just repeated what he said, but worded differently, or at least that's how I read it. I just didn't know if that's what you were going for.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:05 AM   #25
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

RainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRainierBeachPoet is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Kobe gets hated for this Bird doesn't (its not about hoops)

kobe gets hated and bird doesnt because of kobe is a rapi$t

it really is that simple
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:05 AM   #26
CristianoVirtuos
Banned

So Oscar gets so much credit for winning with Kareem in a lesser role than Kobe and is a top 10 player ever, maybe eve top 5 but Kobe isn't because he won with Shaq?

Weaaaaaak.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:07 AM   #27
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianoVirtuos
So Oscar gets so much credit for winning with Kareem in a lesser role than Kobe and is a top 10 player ever, maybe eve top 5 but Kobe isn't because he won with Shaq?

Weaaaaaak.

No Kobe isn't a Top-5 player because he's not good enough! That's simple.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:07 AM   #28
CristianoVirtuos
Banned

Default Re: Kobe gets hated for this Bird doesn't (its not about hoops)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainierBeachPoet
kobe gets hated and bird doesnt because of kobe is a rapi$t

it really is that simple

Thank you.

/End thread.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:09 AM   #29
Younggrease
Banned

Younggrease has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
You basically just repeated what he said, but worded differently, or at least that's how I read it. I just didn't know if that's what you were going for.

I think when Kobe is his hottest i.e. Toronto/Dallas/Portland he controls a game more so than Bird. Stats might or might not show it but Kobe has teams double him from 94 ft. away totally distorting their defense. Thats controlling a game.
Younggrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:09 AM   #30
Glove_20
The Expert

Glove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianoVirtuos

Weaaaaaak.
Oscar is in the 7-9 range.
Kobe is not even close to there.

Oscar is retired
Kobe is 28

A lot of players get appreciated for their careers after they retire
Glove_20 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: