Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > New York Knicks Forum

New York Knicks Forum New York Knicks forum - NY Knicks message board

Old 04-18-2007, 05:55 AM   #1
bigdaddybluesman
Local High School Star

bigdaddybluesman has an OK reputation so far
Arrow Report Card For Centers

Again I will try my best to be unbiased.

The centers.

Kelvin Cato
Eddy Curry
Randolph Morris
Jerome James

Eddy- He's a big man with a big ego, which is not a bad thing. It just has to be channeled correctly. I give Isiah credit, he gambled on him and it looks like he won. He was also able to get through to him with he help of Mark Aguirre. You could see improvement all year in every facet of his game. It seemed like every few games he would make some strides towards becoming a dominate center. He has come a long way. The key for him is in conditioning, he must stay in shape this off season. Curry is a rare type of player, he has the bulk and size yet is coordinated and has amazing quickness. He has come a long way especially on the offensive side. He also has improved on his rebounding and defense. He went from no D to some D. He also averaged 7 rebounds a game with his 19+ points. Considering this was the first year he started and played that many minutes a game I feel that's amazing progress. He showed a jump shot towards the end and even hit a 3 to send a game into overtime. Curry just needs to keep on working on his game. I don't think he will ever be a great free throw shooter but most bigmen aren't. The biggest thing he has to work on is his defense and that will be a work in progress, you will see it evolve during next season. He will also never be a shot blocker but I would like to see at least one or two per game, the league average is 1 block a game. I would like to see him with at least 1.5 per game. I would also like to see him with a 9-10 rebound average and hit the 20 point a game average. Those stats are doable with his ability. It's all about learning the game and how to focus on the court to get those techniques needed to be a good defender, he needs savvy like Malik Rose has. He's still a bit of a big baby, but he has matured a lot and is a young man who is just getting into understanding his potential and what he has to do to reach it. He wants to win and be successful, that's obvious and I believe he will bring a championship to New York within the next few years. He suffered from not going to college and not being disciplined about himself. He has to mature as a man. Not going to college was a mistake, I don't know what happened with him and the Bulls but it wasn't good. He wasted his first 4 years in the league. Did they bother trying to work with this guy?

Jerome- Wow, this guy is big and has a lot of athleticism. But he belongs on the Harlem Globetrotters because he is a clown. His team mates love him because he's a funny, a real fun guy. I think he's an embarrassment to the uniform and the NBA. Is he stupid or just lazy or he made his money and doesn't care, I don't know and I don't care. He's probably a nice person but I do not want him on my team. He is one of the most clueless players I have ever seen. Sometimes it looks like he thinks he's a guard, other times he thinks he has a low post game. In reality he has nothing. The Knicks will never be a winner with him on the roster, he must go!!!!!!!!!!

Cato- Who?......were has this guy been. It has skills and could play. He should have been the #1 backup to Curry. When he did play he did OK. I think it was Isiah playing contracts not players. I hope he stays with the team and gets some minutes next season until and if Morris turns out to be the real deal. Unless I'm wrong and he can't play anymore. I really don't know.

Morris- I think Isiah pulled one off on the other NBA teams. This guy has the body and he seems to have the intangibles that you can't measure. He looks comfortable on the court and instinctively knows were to be. He's very raw but has desire and that's an important factor. If he works as hard as Curry has he might end up being a really great player for us. We have a lot of good bigmen now, they just need time playing together and developing their skills.

In conclusion I think once James is gone and we have time working with Curry and Morris they might turn into a real headache for other teams playing us. When Curry sits there will be no let up when Morris comes in. That will give Curry a little more leeway defensively, not worry as much if he gets into foul problems. Right now if Curry gets into foul trouble we have nobody to come in and take up the slack. Morris might give us that, how many teams have that kind of 1-2 punch in the middle? Not many and the only team that comes close is the Heat with Mourning and Shaq. No, I am not saying Curry and Morris are as good or will ever be as good, they are both hall of fame players. I'm saying if they reach close to their potential they will be close enough and a great tandem. Shaq and Mourning are at the end of their careers, Curry and Morris are at the beginning, it will be fun to watch these guys.
bigdaddybluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 08:49 AM   #2
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation
Default Re: Report Card For Centers

Nice Write up on Curry, agree we did gamble but it looks like we won. Randolph Morris was like another first round draft pick who's going to have a good solid nba career.

Cato and James
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:20 PM   #3
brooklynchild155
High School Varsity 6th Man

brooklynchild155 has an OK reputation so far

i think curry played very well. but for me personally im not surprised. he should have broke out like this years ago. when i saw him in chicago i thought this guy was goin to be one of the best centers. but that took a while. this year he came in great shape. i thought he did a good job at that. there were alot of games where the knicks were in the close games at the end and he was out there still playin well in the fourth quarter. even though there were more positives then negatives he has to cut the turnovers down. he had to much turnovers throughout the season, he needs to grab a few more rebounds. im not saying he needs to be a dennis rodman but i think he needs to get to like 8-9 rebounds a game. defensively he was horrible. i dont think he's ever going to be a great defender but i do think he needs to give a better effort. thats all defense is, theres no skill in defense its a matter of just wanting to do it, he averaged under 1 block a game. i think thats unexceptable, he can do better then that. and also he needs to do a better job at passing out of double teams. but im not to worried about that aspect of his game because he has improved at this late in the season. besides that he's had a great season. i still thought he should have been an all-star this year. and its a great sign because towards the end of the season he showed new things on court. i expect him to have an even better season next year. i think he's goin to work extremely hard in the off season. isiah told him he should add a 12-15 foot jumpshot. if he can hit a consistant 12-15 foot jumper he's goin to be unstoppable. and the great thing is he's only 24. grade B-
brooklynchild155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
brooklynchild155
High School Varsity 6th Man

brooklynchild155 has an OK reputation so far

jerome james have to go. this guy is a clown and they need to get rid of him.
brooklynchild155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:05 AM   #5
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

HaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputationHaNdLe ThE RoCk has decent reputation

pretty sweet write up brooklyn child.

I Agree, James has got to go.
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 11:03 AM   #6
TheOakman
I hit open layups

TheOakman has an OK reputation so far

Everything that could be said about Curry pretty much has. The only thing that I would add is that he needs to be in a little better shape and he needs to make a better defensive effort.

This stuff at the end of games where Thomas would be pulling him in and out of the game every offensive and defensive possesion is nonsense. I am sure it disrupts the flow of Curry's game, and you are risking that play does not get stopped and Curry ends up on the bench(or having to burn a timeout at the end of the game).

I hope he works hard this offseason, because we saw some great things from him this year.
TheOakman is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: