Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-18-2007, 05:11 PM   #1
Howard5Dirk41
Banned

Howard5Dirk41 has an OK reputation so far
Default OT: VA TECH Shooter mails package to NBC News between shootings (Includes video)

Gunman contacted NBC News during massacre
Rambling communication, video being examined by FBI, network says
IMAGE: Cho Seung-Hui
Virginia Tech
Cho Seung-Hui, who immigrated to the United States at age 8 in 1992, lived in Centreville, Va., a suburb of Washington.
View related photos

Video: Massacre at Virginia Tech
• Gunman sent material to NBC News
April 18: Col. Steve Flaherty, superintendent of Virginia State Police, talks about photographs, videos and writings sent to NBC News by the Virginia Tech gunman.
• Victims of massacre
• Shooting investigation continues
• Va. gunman a mix of normal, disturbing
• Professor: 'He was mean ... intimidating'

Photos & audio
Lindsey Williamson, Katrina Broas
AP
• State of shock
Virginia Tech students, faculty come to terms with the horror of the mass shooting at the Blacksburg, Va., school.
• A campus in mourning
• Slide show of the scene
• Audio: Voices from campus

Maps & interactives
• Timeline: How deadly shooting unfolded
Includes map of key locations
• Reaction to Virginia Tech tragedy
• Fact file: Deadly college shootings in U.S.
• Fact file: Deadliest shootings in U.S.
• Interactive: Virginia gun laws

What you're saying

From Shooting massacre message board:

“I just think that at this time people should use more energy to pray for EVERYONE involved in this situation, including the gunman and his family. This is an extremely sad situation for all and it should be an eye opener for all that it is time for our WORLD to change and I believe that the first place for this is in all our hearts.”

--midwest mom4

Go to discussion board
• Were you a witness? Tell us your story
BREAKING NEWS
By Alex Johnson
MSNBC
Updated: less than 1 minute ago

Sometime after he killed two people in a Virginia university dormitory but before he slaughtered 30 more in a classroom building Monday morning, Cho Seung-Hui sent NBC News a rambling communication and videos about his grievances, the network said Wednesday.

Cho, 23, a senior English major at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, killed 32 people in two attacks Monday before taking his own life.

Network officials turned the material over to the FBI and said they would not immediately disclose its contents beyond characterizing the material as “disturbing.” It included a written communication, photographs and video.

Brian Williams, anchor and managing editor of “NBC Nightly News,” said in a posting on the program’s “Daily Nightly” blog that the communication was received earlier Wednesday. He described it as a very long “multimedia manifesto.”
The package, timestamped in the two-hour window between Monday's shootings, was sent to NBC News head Steve Capus.It contained digital photos of the gunman holding weapons and a manifesto that "rants against rich people and warns that he wants to get even," The Associated Press quoted an unidentified New York law enforcement official familiar with the case as saying. The official spoke on the condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak publicly about it. Police said the development might be "a very new, critical component of this investigation.""We're in the process right now of attempting to analyze and evaluate its worth," said Col. Steve Flaherty, superintendent of Virginia State Police.

As early as 2005, police and school administrators were wrestling with what to do with Cho, who was accused of stalking two female students and was sent to a mental health facility after police obtained a temporary detention order.

The two women complained to campus police that Cho was contacting them with “annoying” telephone calls and e-mail messages in November and December 2005, campus Police Chief Wendell Flinchum said.

Cho was referred to the university’s disciplinary system, but Flinchum said the woman declined to press charges, and the case apparently never reached a hearing.

Detention order issued
However, after the second incident, the department received a call from an acquaintance of Cho’s, who was concerned that he might be suicidal, Flinchum said. Police obtained a temporary detention order from a local magistrate, and in December of that year, Cho was voluntarily but briefly admitted to Carilion St. Albans Behavioral Health Center in Radford, NBC News’ Jim Popkin reported.

To issue a detention order under Virginia law, a magistrate must find both that the subject is “mentally ill and in need of hospitalization or treatment” and that the subject is “an imminent danger to himself or others, or is so seriously mentally ill as to be substantially unable to care for himself.”

According to a doctor’s report accompanying the order, which was first reported by the Richmond Times-Dispatch, Cho was “depressed,” but “his insight and judgment are normal.” The doctor, a clinical psychologist who was not identified, noted that Cho “denies suicidal ideations.”

Under the law, the magistrate could have issued a stronger detention order mandating inpatient treatment, but there was no indication Wednesday that such an order was ever entered. A spokesman for Carilion St. Albans told NBC News that he could not discuss Cho’s case because of patient confidentiality and privacy laws, but he said the hospital was cooperating with the investigation.

Otherwise, Flinchum said, there were no further police incidents involving Cho until the deadly shootings Monday, first in a young woman’s dormitory room and then at a classroom building across campus. Neither of the alleged stalking victims was among the victims Monday.

In addition to the 33 people confirmed dead, including the gunman, nine people remained in hospitals in stable condition, hospital authorities said.

Health records sought
Campus police applied Wednesday for search warrants for all of Cho’s medical records from Schiffert Health Center on campus and New River Community Services in Blacksburg.

”It is reasonable to believe that the medical records may provide evidence of motive, intent and designs,” investigators wrote in the documents, according to The Associated Press.

Police searched Cho’s dorm room Tuesday and recovered, among other items, a chain and a combination lock, according to documents filed Wednesday. The front doors of Norris Hall, the classroom building, had been chained shut from the inside during the shooting rampage.

Other items that were seized included a folding knife; two computers, a hard disk and other computer disks; documents, books, notebooks and other writings; a digital camera; compact disks; and two Dremel tools, which are rotating tools used for cutting, sanding and other applications.

In an affidavit seeking the search warrant, police found a “bomb threat” note — directed at engineering school buildings — near the victims in the classroom building. In the past three weeks, Virginia Tech had received two other bomb threats; investigators said they had not connected those to Cho.

Family sought better life in U.S.
Cho arrived in the United States as an 8-year-old boy from South Korea in 1992 and was raised in an off-white, two-story townhouse in Centreville, Va., a suburb of Washington, where his parents worked at a dry cleaners. He graduated from Westfield High School in Chantilly in 2003.

Cho’s family moved to the United States in search of a better life, said the family’s landlady in South Korea. The family was poor and lived in a cheap basement apartment on the outskirts of Seoul, the woman told South Korean television Wednesday.

Cho had an older sister, Sun-Kyung, who graduated from Princeton University with an economics degree in 2004, Princeton officials confirmed.
Howard5Dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
God of BasketBall
Banned

God of BasketBall has not been impressing people
Default Re: OT: VA TECH Shooter mails package to NBC News between shootings (Includes video)

We dont care...post this crap in the off court forum where you KNOW people go, read, and post. Talk bball or go find to msnbc.com msgboard
God of BasketBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: OT: VA TECH Shooter mails package to NBC News between shootings (Includes video)

Quote:
Cho had an older sister, Sun-Kyung, who graduated from Princeton University with an economics degree in 2004, Princeton officials confirmed.
haha owned... what a loser. his sister is a Princeton grad probably making truckloads right now and he's a pathetic english major at VTech who can barely put a coherent sentence together.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
Howard5Dirk41
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by God of BasketBall
We dont care...post this crap in the off court forum where you KNOW people go, read, and post. Talk bball or go find to msnbc.com msgboard

Considering the other topic has close to 500 replies I would say people do care, but thats all I will say because I dont wanna argue with you GOBB so I will respectfully disagree with you.
Old 04-18-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
Fudge
Banned

Fudge has a terrific reputationFudge has a terrific reputationFudge has a terrific reputationFudge has a terrific reputationFudge has a terrific reputation

Man you know what i want do? You'll feel the same way. I wanna shove that handgun he used down his throat and then pull the trigger.

Ughh damn terrorists these days, Laden has something to do with this, i know it. F U OBL.
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:23 PM   #6
applejoe
Decent playground baller

applejoe has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by God of BasketBall

Speak for yourself, I don't see you patrolling the board and throwing hissy fits like this when the news first game out. That's still some interesting news.
applejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:24 PM   #7
God of BasketBall
Banned

God of BasketBall has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard5Dirk41
Considering the other topic has close to 500 replies I would say people do care, but thats all I will say because I dont wanna argue with you GOBB so I will respectfully disagree with you.

I'm tired of seeing Vtech topics on the main bball board. Of course people care but this needs to be in the off court forum. I rather read the profiles of the innocent victims then some d!ckhead who went on a shooting spree. Thats all. From his stupid wikipedia profile page to other topics now this. How many professors did this clown kill? I dont know but i can tell you what he mailed to NBC news between shootings.
God of BasketBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #8
Howard5Dirk41
Banned

Old 04-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #9
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputation

I'm sorry, but how did this guy get into Virginia Tech. I just don't see it.

Also, who took the videos, pics of him.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:50 PM   #10
D-Wade
Great college starter

D-Wade has an OK reputation so far

He sounded proper messed up. Werid ****, ****ing twats gone and messed up hundreds of lives and took the cowards way out.
D-Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:50 PM   #11
jamesalan9
I hit open layups

jamesalan9 has no real reputation yet.

Well I heard he really hated rich people. It's most likely that this guy was a liberal democrat, and a communist pinko.
jamesalan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 05:51 PM   #12
D-Wade
Great college starter

D-Wade has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
I'm sorry, but how did this guy get into Virginia Tech. I just don't see it.

Also, who took the videos, pics of him.
What do you meen about him getting in to Virginia Tech?
D-Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:28 PM   #13
AIR_ball_Jordan
High School JV MVP

AIR_ball_Jordan has an OK reputation so far

I don't care what it has to say. Yes, I call that POS "it" becuase I don't think it has the decency to be respect as man kind. it's just a bitter good for nothing, no life, no social skill, mental retarded pathetic scumbag, crying out thinking itself as the victim of the world, as the rightoues hero, but the fact is that it is just a pathetic little ****..you and me should pay no attention and respect for that it has to say. becuase attention is all that pos hope for when he's alive..and I sure not gonna give it to it now it's dead.
AIR_ball_Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:56 PM   #14
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesalan9
Well I heard he really hated rich people. It's most likely that this guy was a liberal democrat, and a communist pinko.

You know else who had bad things to say about the rich? Jesus.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:58 PM   #15
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
You know else who had bad things to say about the rich? Jesus.
You very bad.
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: