Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-18-2007, 09:12 PM   #16
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation
Default Re: VA Teach Shooter: Muslim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs Fan
He also had a red tattoo of “Ismail Ax” on the inside of one of his arms which might be referring to a passage in the Koran where Ishmael grabbed an ax and destroyed idols to wealth and sex, although obviously Ishmael is spelled wrong if that was the case.

Before I get a reply to this post saying that Muslims don't get tattoos, let me say that tattoos aren't that rare among muslim youths these days.

Ismail is an accepted alternate spelling of Ishmael. I think there's a good chance he was referring to that passage.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 10:58 PM   #17
Sean77
High School JV MVP

Sean77 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs Fan
He also had a red tattoo of “Ismail Ax” on the inside of one of his arms which might be referring to a passage in the Koran where Ishmael grabbed an ax and destroyed idols to wealth and sex, although obviously Ishmael is spelled wrong if that was the case.

Before I get a reply to this post saying that Muslims don't get tattoos, let me say that tattoos aren't that rare among muslim youths these days.

The Jewish and Arabic languages tend to spell the name differently. I saw parts of the video where Cho was speaking, he actually said he was doing it for those who've been oppressed and looked over by the rich, and compared his death to Jesus Christ death. He even refers to Columbine shooters Eric and Dylan as martyrs!
Sean77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:50 PM   #18
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

I was reading some posts on a few websites about it:

From FreeRepublic.com:

Quote:
“(She peeks at John. She approaches Richard and slaps Richard in the head multiple times. TAKING OFF HER SHOES, SHE HITS HIM HARD.)” [emphasis mine]

Striking with the shoe is a Muslim sign of disdain represented by the dirt on the bottom of the shoes. Scenes filmed in Iraq have frequently shown people striking such things as toppled statues of Saddam and killed captives with the soles of shoes.

: Or maybe it's because women like to use their shoes as weapons. I swear, some people.

This article has some good info on it: http://minx.cc/?post=223088

By the way, from what I've heard, the "Cho was a Muslim" line appears to have originated from Fox News. Surprising?

Last edited by reppy : 04-18-2007 at 11:52 PM.
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 11:53 PM   #19
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
just watched the video, he compares himself to and mentions Jesus Christ a few times, so no, i doubt he was muslim.
islam accepts JC as a prophet.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:21 AM   #20
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
I was reading some posts on a few websites about it:

From FreeRepublic.com:

: Or maybe it's because women like to use their shoes as weapons. I swear, some people.

This article has some good info on it: http://minx.cc/?post=223088

By the way, from what I've heard, the "Cho was a Muslim" line appears to have originated from Fox News. Surprising?
Can't say I'm suprised. I figured it was either a "slip" by Bush, a rant by Rush Limbaugh or Fox News ("Fair and Balanced" ); probably them all working together.

Quote:
Striking with the shoe is a Muslim sign of disdain represented by the dirt on the bottom of the shoes. Scenes filmed in Iraq have frequently shown people striking such things as toppled statues of Saddam and killed captives with the soles of shoes.

100% Wrong. It is not a muslim sign of disdain. Its not related to religion, its a cultural thing. Loads of people in America have no problem "sleeping around", loads of people in America are Christian. Is sleeping around a characteristic of Christianity? Hell no!

Theres a huge difference between culture and religion. This might be making too big of a deal of this instance of the media accidentally forgetting that, but the point needs to be made.

People all around the world use showing ones foot to another or one's shoe as an insult, not just in the Middle East. Its not religious; its part of the middle-eastern culture.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:43 AM   #21
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
100% Wrong. It is not a muslim sign of disdain. Its not related to religion, its a cultural thing. Loads of people in America have no problem "sleeping around", loads of people in America are Christian. Is sleeping around a characteristic of Christianity? Hell no!

Theres a huge difference between culture and religion. This might be making too big of a deal of this instance of the media accidentally forgetting that, but the point needs to be made.

People all around the world use showing ones foot to another or one's shoe as an insult, not just in the Middle East. Its not religious; its part of the middle-eastern culture.

You know I kind of considered that.. but I wasn't entirely sure. I had never read anything like from the parts of the Qur'an and Sunnah I had read.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:23 AM   #22
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
islam accepts JC as a prophet.
o, ok. i knew muslims believed that christ existed, but didnt think he was the messsiah (kinda like the jews). didnt know that they held any reverence to him tho, thx for the info.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:15 AM   #23
reppy
Apparently likes anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
o, ok. i knew muslims believed that christ existed, but didnt think he was the messsiah (kinda like the jews). didnt know that they held any reverence to him tho, thx for the info.

messiah: the promised and expected deliverer of the Jewish people.

Muslims believe Jesus was the Messiah, but not the "Savior".
Old 04-19-2007, 09:57 AM   #24
bigboi_baller
NBA rookie of the year

bigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this boardbigboi_baller is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
messiah: the promised and expected deliverer of the Jewish people.

Muslims believe Jesus was the Messiah, but not the "Savior".
For a better explanation, how bout muslims believe in him as they messiah but not the son of god.

Him being the son of God was something that was added to the Gospels after his death. And many Gospels were deleted because they didn't make him look like the Son of God. The story from da vinci code could have been a possible scenario for how he got "anointed" son of God.
bigboi_baller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:44 AM   #25
Sharas
Great college starter

Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool

muslims do accept jesus as one of the god-send prophets, but in no way a god, or son of god, or incarnation of god as christians do.

and also, interestingly, quran claims that jesus did not die on the cross, that some other man "substituted" him. quran does not name him, but some other documents and traditions refer to him as "simon from cyrene"
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:35 PM   #26
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharas
muslims do accept jesus as one of the god-send prophets, but in no way a god, or son of god, or incarnation of god as christians do.

and also, interestingly, quran claims that jesus did not die on the cross, that some other man "substituted" him. quran does not name him, but some other documents and traditions refer to him as "simon from cyrene"
i thought Muslims believed Mohamed (sp?) was their prophet? thats who i always hear them refer to, never Jesus. o well, learn something new everyday.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:04 PM   #27
Sharas
Great college starter

Sharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat coolSharas is considered somewhat cool

quran speaks of adam, noah, abraham, moses, jesus and mohammad as "major" prophets.
but mohammad is last prophet according to quran, and so his word is most accurate. other ones were also, but people corrupted their teachings.
that's short summary
Sharas is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: