Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-22-2015, 08:02 AM   #46
GimmeThat
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: report: Knicks looking to trade the #4 pick and move down

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAVS41
If they can pull off something on Thursday....it could really help their ability to get a couple max guys in free agency....or near max guys.

I don't see how a team that has to win now...and doesn't have their draft pick next year...is going to draft a rookie with number 4 pick and hope he develops. Just the "completely miss" factor that is there will all draft picks kind of makes this a no brainer for a trade.

Pick up a proven asset from a team looking for a pick and hope you can get the players you need in free agency.

You can't do this half in/half out approach that some teams seem to do. They are stuck all in with Melo through 2019 likely. Might as well make the most of your chances each year....

Only way you take the pick is if you think you have a superstar at the number 4 slot.

I feel certain I have offered this idea in other trade possibilities. If you can trade for another pick, ranges in the teens. Signing a few more veterans to contend isn't out of the question.

In fact, that's how the Rockets and the Bulls had been able to place themselves in playoff/contending positions recently. Have they won? No. But you have this 4th and high teen pick, and it comes down to who is willing to fill up your bench at what price.
GimmeThat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:31 AM   #47
kshutts1
College superstar

DMavs saying my exact thoughts.

IMO, based upon Melo's age, the Knicks have two choices...
1) Keep Melo, trade the pick
2) Trade Melo, keep the pick

There really is no other sound option, IMO. The pick is not likely to be an impact piece for another 2-3 years, at which point Melo will be well past his prime.

Anyway, some trades I cooked up... #4 pick to....

Charlotte for #9 and Kemba (Knicks may have to throw in a second rounder, or heavily protected future first)

Denver for #7 and Lawson (Knicks may have to throw in a second rounder, or heavily protected future first). This is my favorite deal.

Detroit for #8 and Jackson

Those are all deals that, I think, would be accepted by the other team. The Knicks still maintain a solid pick placement in the draft.
With their cap, they likely have enough space to sign Millsap and Robin Lopez.

Lawson/Calderon/Larkin
Hardaway/Galloway/Shved
Melo/Early
Millsap/Kaminsky (fills a need, and I like him)
Robin/Kofous

If Melo can play like the top 10 player I still think he is, then that team has a shot to make the finals.

Last edited by kshutts1 : 06-22-2015 at 08:34 AM.
kshutts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:30 AM   #48
Knicksfever2010
Great college starter

why on earth would the Knicks trade the #4 pick for a lot of 2nd rounders? Its EXTREMELY RARE that you will find REAL TALENT in the 2nd round. SMH
Knicksfever2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:44 AM   #49
DMAVS41
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshutts1

There really is no other sound option, IMO. The pick is not likely to be an impact piece for another 2-3 years, at which point Melo will be well past his prime.

Charlotte for #9 and Kemba (Knicks may have to throw in a second rounder, or heavily protected future first)

Denver for #7 and Lawson (Knicks may have to throw in a second rounder, or heavily protected future first). This is my favorite deal.

Those are all deals that, I think, would be accepted by the other team. The Knicks still maintain a solid pick placement in the draft.

Lawson/Calderon/Larkin
Hardaway/Galloway/Shved
Melo/Early
Robin/Kofous

If Melo can play like the top 10 player I still think he is, then that team has a shot to make the finals.

I like these ideas.

I'd actually do it a little differently though.

Just for fun, lets say one of those deals above happened and the Knicks had the 9th pick after a trade that landed them a quality player.

I'd then flip that pick again to a team for another rotation player.

Again, I just don't see the upside here of drafting a player. There is bust potential, like always, and even under good circumstances said player is likely not going to be ready for at least 2 years.

So if the Knicks played their cards right....they could potentially turn the number 4 pick into two quality rotation players....either in the same trade or two separate trades.

If they could get players the caliber of what you list above....and then make another move after that to get another rotation guy?

You are looking at a team....after free agency...that could be legit.
DMAVS41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:47 AM   #50
DMAVS41
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshutts1

Lawson/Calderon/Larkin
Hardaway/Galloway/Shved
Melo/Early
Robin/Kofous

I don't hate the bold, but I also don't think it's good enough to make the finals. You'd have to hope that the Knicks land better players than that.

I also don't love Millsap on this team. Melo is best when he's playing the 4 and I don't think that combo works that well because they are going to need to play smaller to play at an optimal level. Melo/Millsap/Lopez is a combo I'd like to stay away from playing....especially in the playoffs against teams like the Cavs. The Cavs would just blow that team away going small.

It might be a pipe dream, but Jimmy Butler should be the guy they want most. He would be the perfect fit on this team.

With Calderon and Melo...you have to get defense. Butler fills in that gap very well.
DMAVS41 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: