Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-22-2015, 01:23 AM   #76
PsychoBe
Basketball Genius

Default Re: This "Weight-lifting" fad and its effects(negative) on the modern league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
It's less about weight lifting and more about using the right muscle.

When you jump/run, if you land using the wrong muscle, you will hurt your knee. It might not show in the short term but it will definitely show long term. Never let force travels up your knee, take it up the butt instead. No, seriously, the gluteous maximus or butt muscle are where you want the force to travel to since it's the strongest/largest muscle. A lot of people don't know how to do this consistently thus why they get hurt, especially considering the rigorous schedule of the NBA.

For example, in badminton, it's basic technique when you lunge you have to land on your heel even though most everything else you land on your forefoot. Why? Because lunging without landing on the heel is terrible for the knee. It's all about movement techniques and even a very fat, non muscular person won't get injured if he masters that.

this is correct. derrick rose (i hate to pick on him) used to jump and stomp on a dime on his heels as hard as he could and it would completely shred his knees
PsychoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 01:26 AM   #77
LONGTIME
National High School Star

Default Re: This "Weight-lifting" fad and its effects(negative) on the modern league.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UZHHdU_tRk At the end of the day.... YOU CAN DO WHATEVER THE F#CK YOU WANNA DO!!!
LONGTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:33 AM   #78
GIF REACTION
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoBe
you say i missed your point, then you turned around and agreed with what i said

let me simplify this for you since you sound really confused right now

if your upper body is heavier than your lower body, your lower body will buckle under the weight of your upper body. if you want to prevent that from happening, then focus more on core/leg/back strength to help stabilize your other muscle groups so that your body and joints can better handle the stress of the basketball court.

was that simple enough for you?
This post was some cringe ass shit LMAO

Is this you? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABZTEkPu6s8

Stop thinking like a ****ing idiot and realize that basketball players don't lift like bodybuilders... Jesus christ we have some ****ing broscientists in here completely missing the point...
GIF REACTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:52 AM   #79
plowking
Verticle?

Agreed... way too much broscience in here.

People acting like players are doing bodybuilding rather than trying to increase functional strength. The major sign of a great athlete is power output, and repeated ability of that power.

A lot of these basketballers probably aren't great at moving great weights, but I can bet any money in the world that they'd be great at moving light to moderate weights at a great pace.

So in that sense, the OP's point is way off to begin with. Bodybuilding/powerlifting fad is bad for basketballers. None of them do that though. At least not the ones that are closely monitored by their strength coaches.

Weightlifting is one of the greatest things a basketballer can do for himself. It is all about being able to move weights as quickly as possible. It actually increases flexibility unlike bodybuilding and powerlifting since it focuses on drawing power from a great range of motion. Ask any Olympic weight lifter if they can bench more, or throw more above their head, and the answer will be the amount they can throw above their head. Never the case for bodybuilders or powerlifters since they don't have anywhere near the shoulder flexibility for it.

Eh, that's enough for now...
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:02 AM   #80
KelticForce1349
Wolves and Spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAZERUSS
That was an early Sixers Wilt...

how about a 315 lb. Chamberlain in 1964...

http://www.si.com/vault/1964/03/02/6...lt-chamberlain

HA HA HA LMAO!

These legendary tales about Wilt have me pissing laughter! I have heard and read so many ricockulous Wilt stories that I don't anything seriously about him anymore. As a matter of a fact, I don't know if I believe he actually played Basketball at all.

IF Wilt played....I bet he was a towel-waving scrub.
KelticForce1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:25 AM   #81
PsychoBe
Basketball Genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIF REACTION
This post was some cringe ass shit LMAO

Is this you? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABZTEkPu6s8

Stop thinking like a ****ing idiot and realize that basketball players don't lift like bodybuilders... Jesus christ we have some ****ing broscientists in here completely missing the point...

not all basketball players are well educated on the adverse effects of putting on weight could do to their bodies.

that's the entire point of the thread.
PsychoBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:31 AM   #82
Velocirap31
College star

Quote:

not all basketball players are well educated on the adverse effects of putting on weight could do to their bodies.

They don't need to be. The professional players have professional trainers telling them what to do.
Velocirap31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:39 AM   #83
hawke812
High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by funnystuff
Sorry, but if you've ever been to the gym(doubt it), 99% of the people you see do not have the right form.(IE too much weight in most cases) If you aren't doing the proper weight, no matter what you can handle, you're hurting your back as much as you are "GETTING THAT CORE STRENGTH BRO". Its common sense. Then again, I see people doing deads without braces and i cringe.

http://stronglifts.com/deadlift/back-pain/

Sorry bout it, but a simple google search would suffice for the 3 of you derps.

They don't have coaches with them in the gym like these NBA players
hawke812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:41 AM   #84
hawke812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocirap31
They don't need to be. The professional players have professional trainers telling them what to do.

That is what these fools don't understand. The players have professional help for exercise and nutrition
Old 06-22-2015, 11:42 AM   #85
GIF REACTION
Banned

Quote:

Please just stop posting
GIF REACTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:45 AM   #86
Kobe_6/8
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawke812
That is what these fools don't understand. The players have professional help for exercise and nutrition

Yeah the players have trainers, but they can eat whatever they want at home or workout as much/little as they want.
Kobe_6/8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 12:48 PM   #87
funnystuff
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by eriX
so because apparently "99%" of people don't have the right form people shouldn't do deadlift? Logic 10/10.
Find where I say that ha, thanks.

You're hurting your back if your form isn't spot on. And more often than not, the forms you witness are laughable.
funnystuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 02:48 PM   #88
hawke812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobe_6/8
Yeah the players have trainers, but they can eat whatever they want at home or workout as much/little as they want.

Are we talking about the ones eating whatever they want and working out a little bit
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: