Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-19-2007, 01:18 PM   #16
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Who do you blame for Cho Seung Hui?

If the guy was mentally ill like they are saying he was, then there is no telling what was troubling him....

I think people need to start considering the role the mind plays in these situations...

I hear people dismiss it and compare it to what they consider to be sane....But thats just the point

He was insane.....

There are alot of insane people walking the streets and sane people need to pay more attention to the other's state of mind... A number of People had the feeling this guy was seriously troubled but no-one considered that it could balloon into this kind of problem if not properly dealt with...

This should serve as a lesson to everyone to pay more attention to the people around you and care about their issues before their issues become your issues too...

It could happen to you next if you arent careful and lucky
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:24 PM   #17
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Chalkmaze has decent reputationChalkmaze has decent reputation

Yeah, he was a victim of society, but so are all of us to some degree.
Chalkmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:25 PM   #18
STelfair31
National High School Star

STelfair31 has decent reputation

Cho Seung Hui...the reason ppl do this kinda stuff b/c ppl put all they attention on it....
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:44 PM   #19
Kujo

Kujo has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejoe
- The school for not taking his professor's concerns seriously?
- His parents?
- The mental institute for not following up?
- The guy selling him the guns?
- The society for neglecting people like him?
- Cho Seung Hui himself?

A mixture of all of the above. It's crazy how easy it is to buy guns in the US. I believe he bought the guns at a local Walmart.

What ticks me off are the people who want to blame the entertainment industry (video games, movies, music, etc) for peoples actions. It's nonsense.
Kujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:46 PM   #20
STelfair31

STelfair31 has decent reputation

Wal-mart sells handguns?
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:48 PM   #21
bk33
duck my sick

bk33 has decent reputation

I blame the girls he had stalked before for not putting out, I bet if he was getting laid he'd be a happy person.
bk33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:52 PM   #22
Howard5Dirk41
Banned

Howard5Dirk41 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kujo
A mixture of all of the above. It's crazy how easy it is to buy guns in the US. I believe he bought the guns at a local Walmart.

What ticks me off are the people who want to blame the entertainment industry (video games, movies, music, etc) for peoples actions. It's nonsense.

Wal-mart doesnt sell handguns.... He bought one over the internet and the other at a gun store...

He bought ammo at ***** Sporting Goods
Howard5Dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:55 PM   #23
Hotlantadude81
NBA rookie of the year

Hotlantadude81 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard5Dirk41
I can kinda relate to Cho somewhat. I am what you would classify as a "loner". Sure I have a few freinds and cousins I hang out with but Im like this guy to an extent. When I meet new people I go into a shell and dont like to talk to them until I get to know them and feel more comfortable around them.

In Highschool, I was picked on somewhat, had trouble making friends and still do because I am a very anti-social person around people I dont know, So I know what it feels like to be alone and isolated, and I did make threats to people at my highschool, but obviously I never did any of it, I was joking for the most part.

After that I dropped out of highschool and went into counseling and was put on anti-depressants, so I did get help and I have started to turn my life around by going to college trying to make something out of myself, I have lost 30 pounds since January this year, Iv gone from 340 to 310.

I am no way saying what he did was right, because it wasnt, but Cho was also a victim of society.

Wrong. He made himself a victim. I read that even when people talked to him he wanted wanted nothing to do with them. How does that make him a victim?

You got to fight for yourself, but do it in a reasonable manner. I was a loner in school somewhat, but I let people know early on I wouldn't take bullshyt and they didn't bother me. I had friends, but it wasn't the rich prep type. Those people never bothered me because I wouldn't let them.

This kid took the gutless way out. It doesn't take as much guts as he thought to pointlessly kill people. That isn't standing up for yourself or for a greater cause.

Everybody can fall into a trap of pity for themselves. I did it for a 3 or 4 year period, but I came to my senses and realized I just wanted attention more than anything and I was bringing it all on myself.

Last edited by Hotlantadude81 : 04-19-2007 at 02:01 PM.
Hotlantadude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:00 PM   #24
Howard5Dirk41
Banned

Howard5Dirk41 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlantadude81
Wrong. He made himself a victim. I read that even when people talked to him he wanted wanted nothing to do with them. How does that make him a victim?

You got to fight for yourself, but do it in a reasonable manner. I was a loner in school somewhat, but I let people know early on I wouldn't take bullshyt and they didn't bother me. I had friends, but it wasn't the rich prep type. Those people never bothered me because I wouldn't let them.

This kid took the gutless way out. It doesn't take as much guts as he thought to pointlessly kill people. That isn't standing up for yourself or for a greater cause.

People tried to talk to him in COLLEGE, if I had to guess, this has been brewing for a LONG TIME, probably before Highschool or it started in highschool. We may get some more answers i people that went to him in highschool start to surface and talk about how he was or when he started to change.

He shelled up and never let his emotions out, and they built up and finally exploded on 4-16-07.

Also, I dont believe this guy was looking for attention like alot of people say, he was looking for revenge.
Howard5Dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:14 PM   #25
Hotlantadude81
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
He shelled up

He made himself a victim.

Lots of people didn't have a great high school period. But he failed to open up when he was give chances and so he made himself a victim.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:15 PM   #26
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

I think he was insane & he was looking for attention......

Only insane people internalize the normal fears and trials that ALL people go thru...

the fact that he couldnt cope with his position in life and felt murdering others was his only way out shows very clearly that he was insane.....

Only people seeking attention send photos & video tape to NBC to unveil his plans to murder people "in revenge" for not doing whatever it was he wanted them to
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:19 PM   #27
Hotlantadude81
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1

Only insane people internalize the normal fears and trials that ALL people go thru...

the fact that he couldnt cope with his position in life and felt murdering others was his only way out shows very clearly that he was insane.....

Only people seeking attention send photos & video tape to NBC to unveil his plans to murder people "in revenge" for not doing whatever it was he wanted them to

Agreed. When I had my depression period a few years ago I came on here and ranted. It takes a crazy person to just go around killing people.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:33 PM   #28
Mr.Fundamentals
I brick open layups

Mr.Fundamentals has an OK reputation so far

U BLAME HIM.... he had the same problems everyone else has there wuz no reason to kill 30 people
Mr.Fundamentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:34 PM   #29
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Chalkmaze has decent reputationChalkmaze has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1

I agree to some degree, but I'm also very aware that for years society has always been quick to label anyone that murders or does anything seemingly crazy as "INSANE", when often times there are outside pressures that help to push the person in that insane corner.

I think if he had a better background, friends, girlfriends, good grades, acceptance of his plays etc. that he would have been the guy that no one thought was insane, just quirky.

People say Hilter was insane, Unibomber was insane, Edgar Allen Poe was insane. They are quick to label people insane that they fear or don't understand. There is usually more to the story than that.

I think everyone is a killer, people that say they could never ever kill someone just aren't aware of what they are capable of, they haven't been pushed enough, tormented enough, hungry enough, desperate enough, felt enough pain etc.

I don't know if the kid was insane at 8 or 12 years old or however old he was when he came to the US. But coming to a new country at a young age would mess with most people, especially if they had a bad background, parents, friends, sexual abuse etc.

But whatever it is that made the guy who he was (he may have been his own worst demon), in the end, he was not sane, or we can at least say that he was very odd, not coping, far from normal, and severely disturbed.

You can blame a million and one things that happened to him before this time, but in the end it was his decision alone to do the things he did. I'm done writing about the guy, he doesn't deserve to be talked about and given attention, **** happens and always will.
Chalkmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:40 PM   #30
Enigmatism
Raving Lunatic

Enigmatism has an OK reputation so far

Cho Seung Hui

I could go on about a variety of issues that can contribute to a person just snapping like this, but in the end we all make a choice - and so did he.

Not buying the insanity thing either... Insane is taking orders to kill from a dog - not being mad at people you wouldn't let in to help you and going ballistic.
Enigmatism is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: