Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 04-19-2007, 02:43 AM   #1
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Jazz vs Rockets 1st Round of Playoffs

So the Jazz drew the Rockets in the 1st round. Jazz won the regular season series 3-1 so you know they can beat them. I know the Jazz having been playing well as of late, and the last win today against the Rockets was without Yao and T-Mac, but i'm sure Sloan will get the players fired up for the playoffs.

The Jazz have some strengths going into the series. If Yao does match up against Okur on D, and Okur draws Yao away from the basket, it'll make it a bit easier for the Jazz to get into the lane, get lay-ups and for guys like Boozer, AK and Milsap to get offensive rebounds.

I can see some places where the Jazz can have problems though. Okur's D isn't good enough to match against Yao, and Boozer is undersized. Same with T-Mac, Fisher's too small and someone like Harpring is too slow.

I got an avatar bet on this series, with the Jazz winning, so hopefully they win.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 10:23 AM   #2
cyco127
Local High School Star

cyco127 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Jazz vs Rockets 1st Round of Playoffs

Quote:
If Yao does match up against Okur on D, and Okur draws Yao away from the basket, it'll make it a bit easier for the Jazz to get into the lane, get lay-ups and for guys like Boozer, AK and Milsap to get offensive rebounds.

Yeah, that would be nice... But so far Van Gundy has been reluctant to have Yao defend Memo, making life on the blocks more difficult for the Booz.

It's gonna be an interesting series...
cyco127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:57 PM   #3
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Chalkmaze has decent reputationChalkmaze has decent reputation

I see the secret weapon of this series as being Giracek, the guy played phenomenal defense the last month of the season (which we've never seen from him before), and his shooting touch is better than ever. Giracek will have to be the guy to stick to T-mac for at least half the time.
Chalkmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 07:39 PM   #4
cyco127
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalkmaze
I see the secret weapon of this series as being Giracek, the guy played phenomenal defense the last month of the season (which we've never seen from him before), and his shooting touch is better than ever. Giracek will have to be the guy to stick to T-mac for at least half the time.

I agree, Gordan is definately the Jazz' X-Factor. The problem: No one in this League can defend T-Mac's jumper. NOT ONE PERSON.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:56 PM   #5
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyco127
I agree, Gordan is definitely the Jazz' X-Factor. The problem: No one in this League can defend T-Mac's jumper. NOT ONE PERSON.

T-mac's gonna get some points, you just don't want him going off for 30+ if it can be helped. Gonna have to throw some different looks at him, wear him down. Giracek, Kirilenko, Fisher (although this is my least favorite match up by far, but at least he's strong and quick if Tmac keeps getting getting by the other one's), and Harpring. Going to have to play a lot of help defense on the guy, they'll double team a little bit, but not too much. Rockets have guys that will burn you from outside if you double team, it's best to just have someone try to defend him one on one, and play help defense.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:03 PM   #6
cyco127
Local High School Star

Quote:
Rockets have guys that will burn you from outside if you double team, it's best to just have someone try to defend him one on one, and play help defense.

Shane Battier scares me...

Only cause I know how calm, cool, and collected he is under pressure.
Normaly I'm a fan of his....
Old 04-19-2007, 10:06 PM   #7
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyco127
Shane Battier scares me...

Only cause I know how calm, cool, and collected he is under pressure.
Normaly I'm a fan of his....
Yep, and he's not the only one...

3 point percentage shooting

Head 44%
Battier 42%
Alston 36%
Old 04-20-2007, 12:47 AM   #8
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If the Jazz go with a starting line-up of Williams, Fisher, AK, Boozer and Okur who do they plan on having guard T-Mac. I think T-Mac would destroy Fisher, and if they switch AK onto him, then you'll have someone like Williams or Fisher guarding Battier. Houston will be able to rain down the 3's.

I'm not to worried about Yao, but T-Mac seems to be the biggest problem for the Jazz. They have a history of being burned at the SG position.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 03:58 AM   #9
Bricklayer
Decent playground baller

Bricklayer has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong
If the Jazz go with a starting line-up of Williams, Fisher, AK, Boozer and Okur who do they plan on having guard T-Mac. I think T-Mac would destroy Fisher, and if they switch AK onto him, then you'll have someone like Williams or Fisher guarding Battier. Houston will be able to rain down the 3's.

I'm not to worried about Yao, but T-Mac seems to be the biggest problem for the Jazz. They have a history of being burned at the SG position.

If they start Fisher, I would expect Sloan to bring in either Giricek or Harpring really soon and sit Fisher so that Kirilenko can guard T-Mac and Harpring can take on Battier. And when Luther Head comes in, Fisher or even Dee Brown could come back out. Like Cyco said, though, T-Mac presents a problem for EVERY team, not just ours. I would almost go with the strategy that's been used in the past against Kobe and Shaq when the Jazz faced the Lakers in the past... let T-Mac and Yao get there 60 combined points or whatever and shut down the rest of the team.
Bricklayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 03:05 AM   #10
OlDeRaDo_64
Jazz Vs Bulls Oct 6 :D

OlDeRaDo_64 has an OK reputation so far
Unhappy Re: Jazz vs Rockets 1st Round of Playoffs

Not a good start for the Jazz, shooting a lot of misses and only scoring 75 points. Not good! Will the Jazz rally From this loss? I hope so
OlDeRaDo_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 04:27 AM   #11
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Jazz were jittery, which caused them to miss a lot of shots and have rebounds slip out of their hands. They should play more relaxed on monday.
Old 04-22-2007, 07:40 AM   #12
Heretik32
Myrrh

Heretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat coolHeretik32 is considered somewhat cool

Kirilenko again. I mean, again not.
Heretik32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 01:06 PM   #13
OlDeRaDo_64
Jazz Vs Bulls Oct 6 :D

OlDeRaDo_64 has an OK reputation so far

He didnt play alot of minuets but 15 is enough to score more points and rebounds, he should be doing better... hes a fool and hes gunna let us down, Damn bird beak man
OlDeRaDo_64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:55 PM   #14
New Jazzy Nets
New Uni's 2010-2011

New Jazzy Nets has an OK reputation so far

when do you expect ak to socre? hes the 4th sometimes the 5th option on the team, boozer fights his own teammates for those rebounds, AK did fine, its nto all about stats, its deflecting passes, hustle plays, causing a guy to change his shot, this is on jerry, we need to start a petition to play AK more, its a joke. The man is our 2nd best player and he doesnt play, sure i love harp but shlt go with

DW,AK,Harp,Boozer,Okur sometimes, theres no way the rockets can match up with that, and let AK shoot, he can shoot the damn ball, if they give him space let him shoot.
New Jazzy Nets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:16 PM   #15
cyco127
Local High School Star

Quote:
let AK shoot, he can shoot the damn ball

Uhh... No.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: