Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Miami Heat Forum

Miami Heat Forum Miami Heat forum - miami heat message board

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 04:55 PM   #16
Free
Great young streetballer

Free has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Round 1 : Heat v Bulls Official Thread

Then we have Shaq. Unstoppable right? Well yeah, that sounds about correct. However, with Ben on him, it cuts down on his productivity quite a bit. I don't think we'll see a whole lot of doubling from Skiles this series, and that has a lot to do with Ben's ego. He wants that challenge of taking on Shaq, and although he's obviously not going to do much to actually stop Shaq, just that attitude could be enough. Shaq is at his best when he can catch the ball, watch the defense collapse, kick it out, and sometimes repost, or the ball will swing around the other way. I think the key to stopping this year's Shaq is to try to make him beat you by himself, and not allow his mere presence to create openings for teammates. Because that's why Shaq is so valuable really. He's not really close to a top 10 scorer in the league anymore, but his presence forced defenses to key on him, and then he can share the wealth with his shooters, which are plentiful on this Heat team. Not many centers are willing, or have coaches who'll put them in that spot, of guarding Shaq 1v1. That's why Shaq still made such a difference in last years playoffs and finals, despite a few poor number showings.

Shaq actually seems at his best when he goes up against Ben becuase he plays him one on one. I don't think the Bulls can afford to play Shaq 1 on 1 in this series becuase of wade. If you allow Shaq to dominate for 2 or 3 quarters, I think Wade will take it upon himself to close out the game. Shaq's dominance allows wade to pace himself rather than trying to establish himself early.

If Chicago is hitting their jumpers, I don't think this will get past 6 games. When the Bulls are knocking shots down, they look as good as anyone in the league. The entire team is streaky, so that's a small worry, but Miami isn't a defensive juggernaut, save a few players, and Gordon/Hinrich should be able to penetrate into the key and create enough open looks for teammates and themselves to keep their scores in the 90's. Deng will also be big, whether they have Posey or Walker on him, on the block on either side, where he can have his way with his defender. PJ Brown might also be able to come in and give some solid post play. He had that spurt of a few games where he looked awesome in the post earlier this year. And he's certainly a heady enough player.

Our perimeter defense suffered a lot last year but with the addtion of EJ, we have infact become a defesive juggernaut when Riley puts a line up out their of Wade/Eddie/Posey/Haslem/Shaq-Zo. Eddie played in the last matchup against the Bulls and held Gorden in check throughout the whole game which was reassuring to me becuase Gorden gave us tons of problems last year in the playoffs. I'm confident that Eddie can do a good job on Gorden.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:20 PM   #17
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Shaq actually seems at his best when he goes up against Ben becuase he plays him one on one. I don't think the Bulls can afford to play Shaq 1 on 1 in this series becuase of wade. If you allow Shaq to dominate for 2 or 3 quarters, I think Wade will take it upon himself to close out the game. Shaq's dominance allows wade to pace himself rather than trying to establish himself early.
I know Shaq SEEMS at his best, but Shaq's individual scoring prowess isn't what makes him special. It's the fact that defenses are forced to collapse around him, and he gets his teammates open looks and open lanes. With no doubling, Shaq could go for 30/10 in the first three quarters, and it still wouldn't have as much of an effect as Shaq going for say, 17/7 with the Bulls doubling. If Shaq wants to get those numbers, let him. As long as the Bulls can contain those outside shooters, and Hinrich does a half-decent job in frustrating Wade, the Bulls will still win. Despite any massive games Shaq might have.

Quote:
Our perimeter defense suffered a lot last year but with the addtion of EJ, we have infact become a defesive juggernaut when Riley puts a line up out their of Wade/Eddie/Posey/Haslem/Shaq-Zo. Eddie played in the last matchup against the Bulls and held Gorden in check throughout the whole game which was reassuring to me becuase Gorden gave us tons of problems last year in the playoffs. I'm confident that Eddie can do a good job on Gorden.
Completely forgot about EJ. He's solid. Getting older and slower though, although I admit I haven't seen him much this season. I have my doubts about what he can do to Gordon, Ben's a damn good scorer. Much quicker too, I don't think EJ could keep up.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:25 PM   #18
Derek
Good High School Starter

Derek has an OK reputation so far

Great defense matchup in this series. Big Ben, Hinrich, and Nocioni for the Bulls, and Shaq, Haslem, and Mourning for the Heat. Hard to say who will win. Could go either way.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:26 PM   #19
RidonKs
NBA Legend

RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Deng's better defensively than Nocioni. At everything other than flopping that is.

I still love Noc though.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:32 PM   #20
bullsfan
I hit open 5-footers

bullsfan has an OK reputation so far

I hope this doesnt happen

Old 04-19-2007, 05:32 PM   #21
Glove_20
The Expert

Glove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat coolGlove_20 is considered somewhat cool

Lets get it going. Heat start their Title Defense. Payton should be ready

I'm with Miami this year again
Old 04-19-2007, 05:46 PM   #22
Targus™
Good college starter

Targus™ has an OK reputation so far

anybody anxious to hear the arguements and trash talking between Jorge Sedano and Marcel Hall on the 3rd shift?
Old 04-19-2007, 05:48 PM   #23
bullsfan
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targus™
anybody anxious to hear the arguements and trash talking between Jorge Sedano and Marcel Hall on the 3rd shift?

Does it have to do with the Bulls
Old 04-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #24
RidonKs
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullsfan
I hope this doesnt happen

That's actually an obvious foul, considering just tapping a shooter on the elbow can affect their shot so much.

Sorry to rain on that parade.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:58 PM   #25
Targus™
Good college starter

Quote:
Does it have to do with the Bulls

Marcel's a bulls fan.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:02 PM   #26
bullsfan
I hit open 5-footers

So whats the trash talk about
Old 04-19-2007, 06:05 PM   #27
Targus™
Good college starter

Quote:
So whats the trash talk about
sedano is a heat fan. do you even know what the 3rd shift on fox is?
Old 04-19-2007, 06:16 PM   #28
Free
Great young streetballer

Free has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
I know Shaq SEEMS at his best, but Shaq's individual scoring prowess isn't what makes him special. It's the fact that defenses are forced to collapse around him, and he gets his teammates open looks and open lanes. With no doubling, Shaq could go for 30/10 in the first three quarters, and it still wouldn't have as much of an effect as Shaq going for say, 17/7 with the Bulls doubling. If Shaq wants to get those numbers, let him. As long as the Bulls can contain those outside shooters, and Hinrich does a half-decent job in frustrating Wade, the Bulls will still win. Despite any massive games Shaq might have.

Completely forgot about EJ. He's solid. Getting older and slower though, although I admit I haven't seen him much this season. I have my doubts about what he can do to Gordon, Ben's a damn good scorer. Much quicker too, I don't think EJ could keep up.

I understand what you're saying but playing Shaq 1 on 1 will infact lead to early foul trouble for the Bulls. I think they need to mix it up a little rather than throwing one defensive sheme at Shaq. As for Eddie, he's done an excellent job defending the likes of Tony Parker, Girlbert Arenas, Gerald Wallace and other top notch guards. He's actually a BETTER defender than he was in his last stint with the Heat and Riley has said so himself mainly becuase he's become more focused on staying in front of his man rather than gambling. People don't realize that Miami's defense, praticularly Eddie was responsible for a lot of the Heat's success while wade was out. I think Eddie will be the difference maker in this series.
Old 04-19-2007, 06:24 PM   #29
eliteballer
NBA rookie of the year

eliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputationeliteballer has a terrific reputation

Bulls WILL WIN this series. They have homecourt, are younger, better defensively, and have the Wade Stopper in Hinrich along with the fact that Wade is hobbled(unless he's faking).
Old 04-19-2007, 06:54 PM   #30
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

Bulls_Fan20 has decent reputationBulls_Fan20 has decent reputation
Post Re: Round 1 : Heat v Bulls Official Thread

As big as Shaq is, if the Bulls put in Tub o' Lard Shaq will be powerless. Unless he finds a way to bring a hamburger out onto the court. Sweets is a good 6 fouls on Shaq, and throw in Malik and PJ, we can foul Shaq 18 times, which is much better than letting their guards shoot 3's or Wade driving to the bucket. The series will probably come down to which center can hit more free throws, Shaq or Big Ben.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Closed Thread