Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #1
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Team names that don't fit their cities

most of these are because the team moved and never changed names.

Lakers - i have never seen a decent sized laked in LA

Raptors - i never got this one. were there alot of dinosaurs found around Toronto or something?

Jazz - this name belongs in new orleans

any more?
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:56 PM   #2
The_Masterplan
Banned

The_Masterplan has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Team names that don't fit their cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
most of these are because the team moved and never changed names.

Lakers - i have never seen a decent sized laked in LA

Raptors - i never got this one. were there alot of dinosaurs found around Toronto or something?

Jazz - this name belongs in new orleans

any more?

I think the Jazz moved from another city??? Not sure though.

Are there grizzlies in Memphis?
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 12:57 PM   #3
rezznor
Nosetradamus

rezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerezznor is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Masterplan
I think the Jazz moved from another city??? Not sure though.

Are there grizzlies in Memphis?

read the first line of my post
Old 04-19-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Lots of them, actually.

Are you going to find any Bulls in a big city like Chicago?

You'd require a fairly loose definition of "Cavalier" to find one in Cleveland.

Warriors in Oakland?

Grizzlies in Memphis?

Timberwolves are found only in the extreme north of Minnesota.

Last I checked, there aren't any monarchs in California, let alone a King in Sacramento.

What is a Supersonic?

Toronto Raptors - self-explanatory.

Utah is obvious.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:01 PM   #5
SsKSpurs21
National High School Star

SsKSpurs21 has decent reputationSsKSpurs21 has decent reputation

the jazz used to be the new orleans jazz, they were later moved to utah.

the lakers were the minniapolis lakers near the great lakes but were later moved to LA.

you probably already knew that rezz, just pointing it out for those who dont.

i never understood why the LA named their other team the clippers. didnt all the explorers come over from the atlantic?
SsKSpurs21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:02 PM   #6
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat coolVCDrivesAPorscheToWork is considered somewhat cool

for those who don't know... the Nets were originally a New York team based in the ABA and were named so they could rhyme with the Jets and the Mets
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:04 PM   #7
rezznor
Nosetradamus

the rockets really lucked out when they moved from san diego to houston "space city". also fit in nicely with the astros.

knickerbockers is just a real odd name for a sports team period. celtics is a perfect name for a boston team.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:06 PM   #8
STelfair31

STelfair31 has decent reputation

??
STelfair31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:07 PM   #9
kwajo
Missing Since 2009

kwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation herekwajo has an incredible reputation here

Toronto's original NBA team had a cool name, way better than Raptors:
kwajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:08 PM   #10
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwajo
Toronto's original NBA team had a cool name, way better than Raptors:
toronto had an nba team before the raptors? never heard of the huskies
Old 04-19-2007, 01:08 PM   #11
The_Masterplan
Banned

The_Masterplan has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
read the first line of my post

ok but when you said "this name belongs in New Orleans," I wasnt sure you knew if they moved or not.
The_Masterplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:09 PM   #12
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Masterplan
ok but when you said "this name belongs in New Orleans," I wasnt sure you knew if they moved or not.
yeh i knew. what i meant was, that name should not be used anywhere else but in New Orleans. Utah should have changed the name or given it to the hornets.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:10 PM   #13
SsKSpurs21

the spurs used to be the dallas chapperals, then when they moved to san antonio, the team held a contest for the city to name the team...a little old lady came up with the spurs and it was decided then that our san antonio team would be named such.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #14
SsKSpurs21

Quote:
yeh i knew. what i meant was, that name should not be used anywhere else but in New Orleans. Utah should have changed the name or given it to the hornets.

there is some rule that when you move teams you cannot change the name. that is why the grizzlies are still the grizzlies, the lakers are still the lakers, the jazz are still the jazz, and the hornets are still the hornets.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #15
vert48
Can You?

vert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SsKSpurs21
the jazz used to be the new orleans jazz, they were later moved to utah.

the lakers were the minniapolis lakers near the great lakes but were later moved to LA.

you probably already knew that rezz, just pointing it out for those who dont.

i never understood why the LA named their other team the clippers. didnt all the explorers come over from the atlantic?
The Clippers moved up from San Diego, but did not change their name.
vert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: