Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-19-2007, 01:58 PM   #31
gts
Sons of Antartica

gts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegts is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Team names that don't fit their cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
clippers were not age of exploration vessels. And the explorers did explore along the pacific coast as well (came around). But the clipper ship was basically a very fast cargo ship used in trade.
that's right that's why they should be the "Los Angeles Pintas"...lol
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #32
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
The Cavs name kinda fits...the tall ships used to come through from the oceans to Lake Erie and i guess it talks about the Cavaliers that were on the ships or something. They still come back every summer.
what are you talking about? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalier

"The usage of the term originates from the French word "chevalier", meaning knight, and was originally derived from "caballarius", meaning horseman in Vulgar Latin. Chevalier is the regular French word for "knight," and is chiefly used in English for a member of certain foreign military or other orders.

Cavalier in English was applied early in a contemptuous sense to an overbearing swashbuckler or swaggering gallant. In Shakespeare (2 Henry IV. v. iii. 62) Shallow says "I'll drink to Master Bardolph, and to all the cavaleros about London" (this spelling rather suggests the Spanish version of the word, "Caballero").
"Cavalier" is chiefly associated with the Royalist supporters of King Charles I in his struggle with Parliament in the English Civil War. Here again it first appears as a term of reproach and contempt, applied by the opponents of the king. Charles in the Answer to the Petition June 13, 1642 speaks of cavaliers as a "word by what mistake soever it seemes much in disfavour." It was soon adopted (as a title of honour) by the king's party, who in return applied Roundhead to their opponents, and at the Restoration the court party preserved the name, which survived till the rise of the term Tory.

Cavalier style of dress included long flowing hair in ringlets, a liking for elaborate embellished clothes, and plumed hats. This was in complete contrast to the "Roundhead" supporters of Parliament, with their preference for short hair and plain dress, although neither side conformed to the stereotypical images entirely. These derogatory terms (for at the time they were so intended) also showed what the typical Parliamentarian thought of the Royalist side — capricious men who cared more for vanity than the nation at large."

Think three musketeers
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:05 PM   #33
Chalkmaze
Good college starter

Chalkmaze has decent reputationChalkmaze has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin
lets say they could change their names though..
Jazz -> Mormons (I really have no idea what the hell is in Utah...)

Wow, you shouldn't have even tried on that one hehe.. That's horrible, and no team is going to name themselves after a religion anyway.

We should have been the Utah Raptors.

When CEU Museum quarry crews began work in a remote quarry near Moab, Utah. The film Jurassic Park was just beginning production when members of the museum uncovered a new Cretaceous dinosaur. After working at the quarry for several days, museum employee Carl Limone unearthed the find of the century - the bony core of a Cretaceous killing machine that would rival the fictitious giant Velociraptor in Jurassic Park for size. Dubbed the Utahraptor or "Utah's Predator", this killer gained worldwide attention.

Last edited by Chalkmaze : 04-19-2007 at 02:30 PM.
Chalkmaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:06 PM   #34
Baller1986
The Real ISH Legend

Baller1986 has a near all-star reputation hereBaller1986 has a near all-star reputation hereBaller1986 has a near all-star reputation hereBaller1986 has a near all-star reputation hereBaller1986 has a near all-star reputation hereBaller1986 has a near all-star reputation here

You got King James and His Cavaliers ( Cavalry)

Kings are better than Prince

Sir Z
Sir Larry Hughes
Sir Sasha Pavlovic
Sir Anderson Varejao
Sir Damon Jones
Sir Daniel Gibson
Sir Eric Snow
Baller1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:17 PM   #35
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

saKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected postersaKf is a pretty well-respected poster

Enough is enough.

Baller1986 becomes the second poster to make my ignore list, joining DON.
saKf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:57 PM   #36
Ballastic
<////////////}~

Ballastic has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
What is a Supersonic?

As a result of its association with Boeing, Seattle has long been a center of the airplane manufacturing industry. Although Boeing recently moved its corporate headquarters from Seattle to Chicago, it maintains a large manufacturing presence in Washington State. The Boeing 747 and other jetliners are built in Seattle. The name "Supersonics" honors Seattle"s contribution to the jet age. Any speed over the speed of sound, is said to be supersonic.

Heres a link to behind the names of all the teams.

http://www.nba.com/features/behind_the_name.html

Last edited by Ballastic : 04-19-2007 at 03:01 PM.
Ballastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:24 PM   #37
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Who cares if they dont fit. It came down to the Towers and Raptors. Towers fits better, but really, it SOUNDS DUMB!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 03:28 PM   #38
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
what are you talking about? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalier

"The usage of the term originates from the French word "chevalier", meaning knight, and was originally derived from "caballarius", meaning horseman in Vulgar Latin. Chevalier is the regular French word for "knight," and is chiefly used in English for a member of certain foreign military or other orders.

Cavalier in English was applied early in a contemptuous sense to an overbearing swashbuckler or swaggering gallant. In Shakespeare (2 Henry IV. v. iii. 62) Shallow says "I'll drink to Master Bardolph, and to all the cavaleros about London" (this spelling rather suggests the Spanish version of the word, "Caballero").
"Cavalier" is chiefly associated with the Royalist supporters of King Charles I in his struggle with Parliament in the English Civil War. Here again it first appears as a term of reproach and contempt, applied by the opponents of the king. Charles in the Answer to the Petition June 13, 1642 speaks of cavaliers as a "word by what mistake soever it seemes much in disfavour." It was soon adopted (as a title of honour) by the king's party, who in return applied Roundhead to their opponents, and at the Restoration the court party preserved the name, which survived till the rise of the term Tory.

Cavalier style of dress included long flowing hair in ringlets, a liking for elaborate embellished clothes, and plumed hats. This was in complete contrast to the "Roundhead" supporters of Parliament, with their preference for short hair and plain dress, although neither side conformed to the stereotypical images entirely. These derogatory terms (for at the time they were so intended) also showed what the typical Parliamentarian thought of the Royalist side — capricious men who cared more for vanity than the nation at large."

Think three musketeers

Yeah i know...i thought they were named after the swashbucklers that rode the tallships. I know the guys who they have standing on the things when they come are dressed like the 3 muskateers. They have the pirate-like swords and stuff. i'll try to find a picture of the tall-ships
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:09 PM   #39
JalenRawley
Local High School Star

JalenRawley has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Bull****, cough, cough. You can have the name but Michigan actually has more lakes. You can never be further than 3 miles from a body of water in Michigan.

It's absolutely amazing to me that people can remain so ignorant even though all of the information in the world is right there at your fingertips, just a simple Google or Wikipedia search away.

But then, facts never mean much to ****ing morons, do they?

http://www.netstate.com/states/intro/mn_intro.htm
The "Land of 10,000 Lakes" actually contains more than 15,000 such bodies of water whose total shoreline exceeds 90,000 miles - more than California, Hawaii and Florida combined. Equally renowned as the home of the headwaters of the mighty Mississippi River, the name Minnesota is derived from the Dakota Sioux word for "cloudy water."

http://www.netstate.com/states/intro/mi_intro.htm
There are also more than 11,000 inland lakes in Michigan and, according to the Michigan Historical Center, one is never more than six miles from an inland lake or more than 85 miles from one of the Great Lakes.

http://www.michigan.gov/hal/0,1607,7...6001--,00.html
Michigan's water resources provide the state with a mild climate, a ready source of power and transportation, and a growing tourist industry. The state's two peninsulas are almost surrounded by four of the Great Lakes: Huron, Michigan, Erie and Superior. Michigan has 11,037 inland lakes:

Facts, get 'em, or be gotten by 'em.
JalenRawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:10 PM   #40
JalenRawley
Local High School Star

JalenRawley has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by saKf
Enough is enough.

Baller1986 becomes the second poster to make my ignore list, joining DON.

It took me one post to figure that one out for myself.

Grade A dip****.
JalenRawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 04:15 PM   #41
vert48
Can You?

vert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat coolvert48 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JalenRawley
It took me one post to figure that one out for myself.

Grade A dip****.
yep, he is also on mine along with StarJordan.
vert48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:35 PM   #42
CakeorDeath
Local High School Star

CakeorDeath has decent reputation

The Toronto Raptors actually seems fitting, since Chris Bosh looks like one...

Last edited by CakeorDeath : 04-19-2007 at 05:42 PM.
CakeorDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:39 PM   #43
Targus™
Good college starter

Targus™ has an OK reputation so far

Kings in sactown?
Targus™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 05:45 PM   #44
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by JalenRawley
It's absolutely amazing to me that people can remain so ignorant even though all of the information in the world is right there at your fingertips, just a simple Google or Wikipedia search away.

But then, facts never mean much to ****ing morons, do they?

http://www.netstate.com/states/intro/mn_intro.htm
The "Land of 10,000 Lakes" actually contains more than 15,000 such bodies of water whose total shoreline exceeds 90,000 miles - more than California, Hawaii and Florida combined. Equally renowned as the home of the headwaters of the mighty Mississippi River, the name Minnesota is derived from the Dakota Sioux word for "cloudy water."

http://www.netstate.com/states/intro/mi_intro.htm
There are also more than 11,000 inland lakes in Michigan and, according to the Michigan Historical Center, one is never more than six miles from an inland lake or more than 85 miles from one of the Great Lakes.

http://www.michigan.gov/hal/0,1607,7...6001--,00.html
Michigan's water resources provide the state with a mild climate, a ready source of power and transportation, and a growing tourist industry. The state's two peninsulas are almost surrounded by four of the Great Lakes: Huron, Michigan, Erie and Superior. Michigan has 11,037 inland lakes:

Facts, get 'em, or be gotten by 'em.
little snippets from tourist promotion bureaus hardly constitute facts. I will concede that MN may have more lakes than MI (although what constitutes a lake may be different) but my 3 mile statement stands (I am including rivers, streams, creeks).
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 08:37 PM   #45
jbot
Future D1 Dad

jbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjbot is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
most of these are because the team moved and never changed names.

Lakers - i have never seen a decent sized laked in LA

Raptors - i never got this one. were there alot of dinosaurs found around Toronto or something?

Jazz - this name belongs in new orleans

any more?

lakers were originally from minnesota( aka "land of 1,000 lakes").
raptors- team was named thru a contest.
jazz- were originally from new orleans.

how about...

chicago bulls or cleveland cavaliers?

the names that fits the best i think would be the philly 76ers.
jbot is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: