Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Chicago Bulls Forum

Chicago Bulls Forum Chicago Bulls message board - chicago bulls fan forum

Old 07-02-2006, 09:17 AM   #1
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

Default Bulls thing big...Big Ben

Big Ben come to Chicago

Bulls think big . . . Big Ben
Paxson, Skiles meet with Pistons' Wallace in Detroit

By Marlen Garcia
Tribune staff reporter
Published July 2, 2006

John Paxson came through Saturday on his promise to think big in free agency.

The Bulls' general manager and coach Scott Skiles visited the Pistons' Ben Wallace, the biggest name in free agency, in Detroit on the first day teams could have discussions with available players.

Paxson declined to comment on the meeting with the 6-foot-9-inch, 240-pound defensive ace, who was expected to be the Bulls' top target as they decide how to spend about $15 million they have available under the NBA's salary cap.

The attempt may be in vain unless the Bulls are willing to give Wallace a five-year deal, and there is good reason for the Bulls to avoid such an offer.

Teams could be reluctant to give Wallace a contract longer than four years because of the league's "over-36" rule, which stipulates that salary payable after a player turns 36 is prorated over the previous seasons and counts against the salary cap in those seasons. Wallace will be 32 on Sept. 10 and a four-year deal would expire just before his 36th birthday.

Efforts to reach Wallace's agent, Arn Tellem, were unsuccessful.

Without a five-year deal, Wallace might not have enough incentive to leave Detroit, which he helped win an NBA title in 2004. He is a four-time NBA Defensive Player of the Year, and with him Detroit has advanced to the NBA Finals twice.

Apparently, the Bulls are the only team seriously in the running for Wallace. Other teams with salary-cap space--Atlanta, Charlotte and Toronto--have not shown significant interest. Philadelphia reportedly contacted Tellem, but the 76ers are over the cap and could obtain Wallace only in a sign-and-trade with the Pistons.

Joe Dumars, the Pistons' general manager, has said his No. 1 priority is to re-sign Wallace. The Pistons are expected to offer Wallace a four-year escalating contract that will pay him between $11 million and $12 million next season to make him the team's highest-paid player in 2006-07.

The Bulls probably would have to beat it handily to get Wallace to leave his comfort zone in Detroit. He would take their available funds and then some, which is why it would be surprising if the Bulls did it.

The signing date on extensions and free-agent contracts is July 12.
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:03 AM   #2
Bulls_Fan20
Local High School Star

I really hope we do not sign Wallace. He's another undersized guy with no offensive capabilities whatsoever. We would also have to fork over too much money, and I would rather take my chances with Joel Pryzbilla or Nazr Mohammed.
Bulls_Fan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 12:16 PM   #3
ballinhun8
Bulls | Bears | W. Sox

Screw Przybilla and Mohammed. I don't know why people are so high on those guys coming to Chicago.

I want the Bulls to sign Wallace. Not only would that help us out and give us another body upfront to team w/ Chandler but more importantly, it hurts a division rival. The Pistons would lose alot more then a starting Center, they'd lose the heart and soul of that team and city. Wallace is a straight up blue-collar guy that Detroit is known for and if we can take him away and bring him to Chicago then it'd just change the make up of that division. I could see us winning the division w/ Wallace.

Wallace/Chandler/Nocioni/Gordon/Hinrich. Enough firepower there from the 1-3 and not to mention 4 of those guys (sorry gordon, not quite there) are great defensive players. Also, we'd still have Duhon,Deng,Songaila, and well, unfortunately Thomas and Thabo off the bench. Maybe Wallace would teach Thomas something.

I think it'd be great to add Wallace. The Bulls should go full-force to land him and make up for there free agent woes in the past couple of seasons.
ballinhun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #4
bullsku23
Can barely lace up my sneakers

agreewith u here. pryzbilla sucks!! nazr sucks!!! I love how guys comment on players like they've known them their whole life and they've never even seen him play. I know that you haven't because if you had, you'd know how bad he is. Pryzbilla got huge minutes last year, becasue he played on the jailblazers and even theyn he only had 6/5. nazr didnt have good stats with a better frontcourt and team then the bulls. You have to get Ben Wallace. Anytime you get a chance to get a guy who is a top 5 center in league you do it. I am not eveen that in love with him, but it makes the bulls an immdiate contender right away and gives us the veteranm leadership we need. Also, could you find a player that you think would fit into Skiles type of basketball better than wallace? I didnt hink so.
bullsku23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:32 PM   #5
sturf9030
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Default Wallace a bad idea

I hope Paxson is really just trying to make the Pistons over pay for Wallace. Anyone who actually watched Wallace play in the playoffs could see that his game is starting to decline. His statistics even during the regular season demonstrate a decline. A smart GM doesn't pay extra for a declining player. The player efficiency stats show that two years ago that Chandler was almost as effective as Wallace. Chandler was at 16.5 and Wallace at 17.5. Even most Bulls fans agree, a chicagosports.com poll has fans saying no to Wallace at 2:1.

There is a reason Przybilla is talked about as the best option for the Bulls. He is an improving player who will come four million dollars a year cheaper than Wallace. If you actually saw Przybilla play against the Bulls this year, you saw him give the problems. He was blocking shots and dunking in traffic. In two years when the Bulls are threatening for a championship, Prybilla will be the better player. The Bulls also hold a huge negotiating advantage with Przybilla as well as they are the only interested team with significant cap room. So he may come cheaper than expected.
sturf9030 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:16 PM   #6
HaNdLe ThE RoCk
NBA All-star

Nope..we Got Ben Wallace!!
HaNdLe ThE RoCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 10:55 PM   #7
hotsizzle
Superstar

The is the best offseason news yet. ChiTown is back baby
hotsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 11:56 PM   #8
sixerfan3511
Local High School Star

yeah, u guys are stacked now, and i hate that. We wanted big ben also, but at least detroit didnt get him. Ur lineup is like this now:
C: Wallace, Chandler
Pf: Sweetney, Allen, Thomas, O. Harrington
Sf: Nocioni, Deng, Khryapa
SG: Gordon, Sefolosha, Basden
PG: Hinrich, Duhon

thats pretty good, i dont kno who u will start at power forward right now, but itll be sweetney or allen. Tyrus thomas isnt ready yet. And u most likely wont pick up the option of Othella Harrington now, and songaila and schenser are gone. Same with livingston and pargo.
sixerfan3511 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: