Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 07-03-2006, 01:25 PM   #46
Phenith
NBA Junkie!

Default top players

A lot of top players from Europe stay in Europe. We only hear about the ones that want to come over at a young age. Euro league is more like NBA than NCAA because the league is mostly fully developed players, not college level guys.

So when a young guy does good in the Euro League and wants to come to the NBA he has done well against a lot of world class talent, not just college age players.
Phenith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:27 PM   #47
Phenith
NBA Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXsunsROCK1105
You don't know what I mean. Of course he can do more than shoot, but can he do it good enough to average above 8 pts in a NBA game..I mean he's frickin skinny..unless he works out he's gonna suck at rebounding and posting up

Ok, lets say his 245 advertised weight is 10lbs over. So he is still 7', 235lbs... skinny or not, he isn't small. He certainly needs to add some muscle... but I don't think he is going to be as soft as a lot of people are thinking.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:34 PM   #48
houselog442
I airball my layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenith
Ok, lets say his 245 advertised weight is 10lbs over. So he is still 7', 235lbs... skinny or not, he isn't small. He certainly needs to add some muscle... but I don't think he is going to be as soft as a lot of people are thinking.

I heard his actual size was 7'1 248, he still is built stonger than aldridge who is as skinny as can be!
houselog442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:36 PM   #49
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

haha, this is why people can never take the Raptors seriously. Look at their fans in this thread.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:38 PM   #50
Fenris-77
I airball my layups

Euro league is a pro league and doesn't have the NCAA's practice restrictions. Bargnani practices more in six weeks the college kids are allowed to in a season. This has a sesrious impact on fundemantals.

Quote:
but I don't think he is going to be as soft as a lot of people are thinking.

I agree, Bargnani has work ethic in spades. And, unlike some college kids, doesn't seem to be on a huge ego trip. I also think that his passing ability is being overlooked. If the Raps run the right plays for him he'll murder people on the perimeter - mostly because it'll be bosh who mostly draws the double team.
Fenris-77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:42 PM   #51
ihatekobenjordan
Banned

He won't be a flop. But he's not the next Dirk.
ihatekobenjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:24 PM   #52
Greg Anthony
I airball my layups

If people are expecting him to be dirk he will never suceed but if they expect a Vlad-Rad are a young Toni Kukoc a solid big man three point shooter that can stretch the d for Chris bosh. he is worth the 1 pick in this draft because it was a weak draft no franchise players just roll players.
Greg Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:33 PM   #53
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYOrangeMan
I hope he flops though, I want the Raptors to regret trading Villanueva away.

Then by that logic, wouldn't you hope that TJ Ford flops in Toronto? Charlie Villaneuva would have been traded no matter what, it wasn't because Bargnani was the pick, only small forwards and power forwards were capable of being the #1 pick. When we stayed at #1, we basically sealed the fate of someone on Toronto being traded for a point guard, it just turned out to be Charlie. If we had selected Morrison or Gay, I still believe that Charlie gets traded. So your logic is faulty, as a result you must hope that Ford fails, which probably stands little chance of happening since he's already a 12/7 point guard in the league at 23 yeards old. Tough Beans.
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 02:47 PM   #54
Fenris-77
I airball my layups

Quote:
When we stayed at #1, we basically sealed the fate of someone on Toronto being traded for a point guard, it just turned out to be Charlie.

Uh-oh. Logic rears its ugly head.:)

I completely agree, most raptors fans love CV, me included, but he was the only peice that was going to get the PG we needed. It's sad to see him go, but it had to be done. Pity the Earl watson trade didn't happen but watcha gonna do? Besides, TJ looks like exactly the PG Toronto needed, and Watson likely wasn't.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:08 PM   #55
jaja
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenith
A lot of top players from Europe stay in Europe. We only hear about the ones that want to come over at a young age. Euro league is more like NBA than NCAA because the league is mostly fully developed players, not college level guys.

So when a young guy does good in the Euro League and wants to come to the NBA he has done well against a lot of world class talent, not just college age players.

forget age, we are talking about skill level. despite the age of the players in europe, most arent as good as NCAA players, imho. im sure korea has plenty of older players in thier league, but that hardly makes them better than college aged players
jaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #56
Fenris-77
I airball my layups

Quote:
forget age, we are talking about skill level

yup, and EL produces highly skilled players. Not so many freak athletes, but players with real skills - shooting, passing, you know, fundementals. Why do you think you get draft picks like tyrus thomas? Sure he's a freak but he's got really limited skills. He will develop those skills certainly, but the reason he doesn't have them is the relative lack of practice at the NCAA level.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:23 PM   #57
Phenith
NBA Junkie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaja
forget age, we are talking about skill level. despite the age of the players in europe, most arent as good as NCAA players, imho. im sure korea has plenty of older players in thier league, but that hardly makes them better than college aged players

I want to argue with you, but you really seem to have it in your head that Euro players are not NBA quality. There is a lot of NBA quality guys in the Euro league, but they are allready making good money and coming over here would mean they have to prove themselves all over again just to get to the point where they are alleady at in there own continent.

You would definatly find more guys in Europe ready to contribute to an NBA team then you would in the NCAA.
Old 07-03-2006, 03:25 PM   #58
KnicksFan4Life
Banned

I think he'll be a flop, he looks too soft, not agressive at all. But only time will tell
KnicksFan4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 03:59 PM   #59
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

I think Bargnani will be a very solid Toni Kukoc-type for Chris Bosh and the gang. He'll be an All-Star caliber player (not necessarily an All-Star though) for a few years, but he'll always have a spot on a team's rotation (not just on the roster). I'm not comparing his game to that of Kukoc, but that is likely what level of impact he'll have. He'll be a great #2 and more likely #3 option for the Raptors in his prime and easily a starting caliber player (which is what Kukoc was for most of his career if not for Pippen).

As far as the defense, I've heard he isn't that bad on defense. Certianly better than Dirk Nowitzki was at a similiar age. I think his defense will be enough to not make him too much of a liability. In other words, he'll be one of the guys who you don't hear people say is good or bad on defense. In reality though, that is positive in today's good.

Do I think he was worth the #1 pick? Not really, but no one else was that worth it to where you can definitely say that they should have taken them instead. Also factor in that the surrounding teams kinda forced their hand (like Chicago acting like they would take him) and they had no choice since they couldn't move down.

I don't think Colangelo has made any bad moves since he arrived in TO. He's done nothing but dramatically improve that roster and organization. That man is well worth whatever money they paid him.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:02 PM   #60
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Quote:
I think he'll be a flop, he looks too soft, not agressive at all. But only time will tell

I guarantee you have never seen him play.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: