Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 07-03-2006, 04:03 PM   #61
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

He's going up against being a bust and what the others in his class do. Meaning he could have a damn good career and not be labelled a bust, but if others taken behind him have even BETTER years/career he will catch it. The price you pay with being drafted #1. He is drafted #5 and has a damn good career its not that big of a deal. #1 picks are helpd to a higher standard, and well why shouldnt they?

I want to see how he does his first year.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:13 PM   #62
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
He's going up against being a bust and what the others in his class do. Meaning he could have a damn good career and not be labelled a bust, but if others taken behind him have even BETTER years/career he will catch it. The price you pay with being drafted #1. He is drafted #5 and has a damn good career its not that big of a deal. #1 picks are helpd to a higher standard, and well why shouldnt they?

See what you're saying, but I don't think I'm going to hold him to that standard. Especially considering the fact that no one else in this draft class is head and shoulders above him.

To me, it's not like a Michael Olowokandi situation where we know he went before players that were clearly better than he was. To me, LaMarcus Aldridge and Tyrus Thomas didn't show that much more in college than he did in the Euroleague and the Italian league. I would say that they are better than he is right now, but not by that much more.

Like you said though, it all depends on what those guys do. But if someone like Randy Foye or Brandon Roy ends up the top player or players out this draft, it won't look as bad on just him because those guys were drafted outside of the top 5.

I think he'll have more of a Glenn Robinson-type outlook in 10 years than a Kwame Brown or Kandi outlook. People will recognize that there were better players drafted after him, but they won't really consider him a bust.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:16 PM   #63
Fenris-77
I airball my layups

Quote:

I agree, especially when it's not even obvious where they're going to play him. If he gets starting minutes, and if he's as good as some of the cautious optimists think he is (not the rabid Raps fans) then I think he'll have a good year. If he comes off the bench and plays like 15min a game he'll still likely have a decent year but all the haters will bash him because he's not MJ, or new-and-improved Dirk and thus a bust at #1.

As a side note he likely won't be able to make a run at R.O.Y because he's not going to get nearly as many touches as, say, Adam Morrison. I'll stick with cautiously optimistic. Summer league might give us some hints too.
Fenris-77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:18 PM   #64
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
I think he'll have more of a Glenn Robinson-type outlook in 10 years than a Kwame Brown or Kandi outlook. People will recognize that there were better players drafted after him, but they won't really consider him a bust.

Yeah, I hope thats how it turns out if not better. But thats a scenerio i would bet on to happen.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:19 PM   #65
KWALI
erudite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
I guarantee you have never seen him play.

Bargani = Tall Detlef Schrempf
KWALI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #66
fatboy11

I'm judging him on LaMarcus Aldridge. That's my new rule. I'm only going to judge a guy drafted #1 one by the guy I think is better than he is. Like this year, I thought LaMarcus Aldridge should have went #1 (and still do). So if Randy Foye or Adam Morrison end up better than both Aldridge and Bargnani, how can I come down on Andrea when the guy I thought should have went #1 isn't even the best player from the draft?

That's also given that he has a fruitiful career. He still has to be at least what I projected (Toni Kukoc-type impact is very good for a draft like this).

I think Bargnani will live up to his billing (which was a big shooter not quite as good as Dirk), but I still think Aldridge will stand out as the best player from the draft.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:24 PM   #67
fatboy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWALI
Bargani = Tall Detlef Schrempf
Also not a bad outlook.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:32 PM   #68
astroboy2k5
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky2dope
the knock on him is how soft he is, as is the same on lots of Euro's his size that are exceptional offensive talents. I don't think he'll contribute anything on the boards in his rookie season, he'll have to develop that with his strength which needs major work.
He barely averaged 10ppg for his Euro club team, ain't no chance in hell he will put up OVER 10ppg in the NBA!

Another flop of a no.1 pick. Suffer Raptors fans!

Yes, he averaged 10ppg for his euro team but, you are forgeting that the league leader was just under 20ppg. You cant compare his points in europe to how well it will translate to the nba. The europe games are shorter i think they are 10 minute quarters. It seems like this guy is focused on improving his game and having his coach on the raptors only makes the transition a lot smoother.
astroboy2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 04:34 PM   #69
fatboy11

Quote:
Originally Posted by astroboy2k5
Yes, he averaged 10ppg for his euro team but, you are forgeting that the league leader was just under 20ppg. You cant compare his points in europe to how well it will translate to the nba. The europe games are shorter i think they are 10 minute quarters. It seems like this guy is focused on improving his game and having his coach on the raptors only makes the transition a lot smoother.
Exactly.

Pau Gasol averaged about 10 points a game his last year with FC Barcelona and then came over and dropped like 17 a game as a rookie for the Grizz.

International pro stat averages are traditionally lower than NBA and NCAA D1 stat averages.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:34 PM   #70
dgbigballer9329
Great young streetballer

Man, I think this guy is gonna be a COMPLETE bust as the number 1 pick. I've seen highlights of him, which don't show the whole story obviously, but I was left so unimpressed........he doesn't look atrocious like some of these goofy 7 footers from Africa look, but he did nothing that stood out to me. Ok jump shot, not incredibly slow but certainly not quick either, and skinny.

I think this guy is gonna suck on a Kwame Brown type level. Meaning he could get like 12 and 7 someday (or something like that), but I still consider that sucking ESPECIALLY given his hype.
dgbigballer9329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 06:34 PM   #71
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

You must have been watching it in slow motion then because he is very quick for a 7'1", 240 pound guy, his jumper is water, and if you haven't seen any impressive tapes of him then you need some new tapes.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 07:49 PM   #72
jaja
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenris-77
yup, and EL produces highly skilled players. Not so many freak athletes, but players with real skills - shooting, passing, you know, fundementals. Why do you think you get draft picks like tyrus thomas? Sure he's a freak but he's got really limited skills. He will develop those skills certainly, but the reason he doesn't have them is the relative lack of practice at the NCAA level.

skilled players vs freak athelets is something the media cooked up. it doesnt make sense. its like saying one school produces skilled academics as opposed to scholars. freak scholars are always the prize because they produce results. we are dealing wth atheltics here, so yes freak athletes are prized.

i still dont see the great difference in skill anyay. for every tall 7 feet shooter from europe, we have garnett, and wallace in the US to compare to. the media just ignores them to make the imports seem unique
jaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:13 PM   #73
dgilbert
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by hle_81
i don't think he'll be a flop. he'll be a good player for the raptors, but not a superstar.
i'm thinkin along the same lines
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:17 PM   #74
dgilbert
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by funky2dope
the knock on him is how soft he is, as is the same on lots of Euro's his size that are exceptional offensive talents. I don't think he'll contribute anything on the boards in his rookie season, he'll have to develop that with his strength which needs major work.
He barely averaged 10ppg for his Euro club team, ain't no chance in hell he will put up OVER 10ppg in the NBA!

Another flop of a no.1 pick. Suffer Raptors fans!
actually though your looking at overall stats, he started off playing like 15 mins a game at the beginning of the year, by the championship round he was playing 35 a game, and was the best player on his team, that is what you want a young player to do is progress, he could definitly avg 10 a game as a rook.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:25 PM   #75
dgilbert
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaja
why does everyone say the euro leage is as competitive as college. how do people come up with these comparisons
actually only a close minded person thinks different, every EXPERT that actually scouts and follows the euro leagues, says that it is higher calibre game, I know it's hard for some of us on this side of the atlantic to think that, but remember these are men, and there are also many players from the college game that go over there when there done(basically the best outside nba), if we were talking the college game 10-15 years ago when guys stayed longer than 1 year, and had a chance to develop, then your point would be have much more validity, but any long time b-ball fan knows that college ball today, isn't even close to the same level as it was back then.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: